Latest news:

2019 Belgian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
So 10 races in, which rookie impresses you most?
Discussion started by CLOVERLEAF 888 , 16 April, 2019 08:02
So 10 races in, which rookie impresses you most?
CLOVERLEAF 888 16 April, 2019 08:02
To be honest I think they have all done a good job, so far.

But who has surprised or impressed you most? . I think Alex Albon might be a popular choice if you not seen him before but to be honest like ozzy I have watched him in F2 and he seemed pretty Handy there. Tough one to call

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/07/2019 15:42 by CLOVERLEAF 888.

Re: So 3 races in, which rookie impresses you most?
Mehryar 16 April, 2019 08:46
Though choice as you say but Albon is definitly not my choice cause he makes mistakes here and there and his direct rival is Kvyat...so you can't really judge him.

Hard one between George and Norris as they have different conditions.I don't know if Norris could keep his calm and not over drive it if he had a Williams car and also I don't know if George's race craft could be as impressive as Norris if he was in a tightly packed midfield.

But if you want one name. So far it's Norris for me.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Williams-123 17 April, 2019 03:18
Russel impresses me the most....He looks the goods.

Andrew Hooper 17 April, 2019 12:18
Agree with Russell. He seems to extract the best out of the difficult FW42.

Gunk 17 April, 2019 15:17
I think I'd like to re-visit this thread after a few more races. Don't forget it took LeClerc 3 races to adapt his style to F1. But then he turned it around. Hopefully Giovinazzi will do the same.

Ozzy Osbone 17 April, 2019 17:16
I think Norris for now but hard to tell. They have all had some good performances. With the current situation at Williams and folk saying KUB's car is different, it's hard to tell.

That said, RUS is a huge positive for the team in terms of PR and is doing a superb job.

Albon? Yes, he has shown well. I think we'll need to get a few more races in before we can award the prize.

For now, for me, it would be Lando.

Mikef1 17 April, 2019 18:37
I wont say Russell until were happy the cars are the same. For me Norris is the man so far but I think George could do as good a ko

CLOVERLEAF 888 17 April, 2019 20:10
So so far we have 3 votes for Norris, 2 for our guy Russell.

I hadn't actually made a choice so far.. Im going for Norris too...

so that's 4-2 to Norris..... I am impressed with George too, not made any mistakes really but im not sure the car will allow him to shine like Norris who has a better car under him.. Like Gunk said... be Interesting to review this....

Gunk 17 April, 2019 20:44
They are all quite ok, aren't they. We don't really have any obvious weak links this year . . . no Ericsson, no Hartley . . . as I mentioned in another thread, it's going to be tough for Ocon to find a spot.

phatjack 17 April, 2019 23:42
Let me see Norris and Russell are both POM's ...it's a win win! (Sm111)

shriekback 18 April, 2019 08:31
I’m genuinely impressed by all three proper rookies and rooting for Giovinazzi to find his stride. George is great, but Norris and Albion are both doing a terrific job as well.

speed 18 April, 2019 13:52
Need more time but Norris has looked good. Albon did well in China. Gio still struggling. George, well the car disappoints but he hasn't binned it so that's good (especially with all the news about parts shortage).

Ozzy Osbone 19 April, 2019 16:35
Phat, Albon is a Pom too I'm afraid. He was born in London.

I think they have all showed well and particularly NOR and RUS have been very positive on the social media side and seem to be loving life. I think Alex is maybe a slightly quieter character.

End of the day, I am very impressed with all of them in terms of speed, professional approach and lack of mistakes. Having watched all of them in lower formula, they all deserve an F1 ride but I think in terms of outright speed and racecraft, NOR and RUS have a slight edge.

SydneyF1Fan 19 April, 2019 22:44
I agree that they've all looked good.

I can forgive Alex for his mistake in China. He wasn't the only one to go off there and you can't fault him for his commitment in keeping his right foot planted and trying to ride it out. Vettel showed him how to recover it after the same mistake, but then Seb blew it last year with similar mistakes, so you can't just put it all down to rookie error. Alex made up for it in the race.

Hard to judge RUS given his car issues, but you've got to hand it to him for staying ahead of KUB, who's no slouch. George showed what he could do in testing if he had a Merc available.

On pure quali and results, I've been impressed with NOR, especially against his teammate.

Looking forward to see how they all develop during the season.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

CLOVERLEAF 888 22 July, 2019 15:41
Well it's 10 races in now. As Gunk suggested, good idea to revisit this thread after more races.

What's your views

BTW article about George too

[www.crash.net]

Re: So 10 races in, which rookie impresses you most?
Mehryar 22 July, 2019 19:07
George for me.

Norris is great too but Sainz is beating him.
Albon should own Kvyat to show he's something special and he's not doing that.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Myvatn 22 July, 2019 21:36
I think they’re all doing a very good job. Norris is impressive in qualifying but a bit less in race mode. Albon is driving very well too, maybe Giovinazzi has been the least impressive so far, but he’s been beating Räikkönen in qualifying lately.

Russell is a bit hard to judge. He looks to be doing a very good job, but he can only be compared with his teammate and sadly Kubica is not a very good benchmark now I fear. His season is of course positive, it’s just hard to tell how much.

dot_com 23 July, 2019 12:41
I’m really impressed by Norris - he seems to gel really well with the team and fits in with the paddock really well. He’s also been really quick compared to Sainz, who I think is a very quick driver. Russel is harder to judge, because of the car and the question marks over Kubicas performance, but he’s doing everything we could possibly hope for this season. Let’s see how he does once the car is competitive.

Ozzy Osbone 23 July, 2019 17:27
It's still tricky. GIO has come on well but like ALB is still lacking in the actual points department against their team mate. NOR has the speed and makes few mistakes but has not done so well in races. Some of that has been bad luck but again, despite flashes of raw pace, doesn't have the points in the bag.

I think I would now swap to RUS who has utterly dominated KUB so far. Problem is that 2019 KUB is not a benchmark so we don't know what RUS would do against an established driver.

So I think I would swap to RUS at this moment.

Gunk 23 July, 2019 20:42
So, Lessee . . .

So far:

Russell out-qualified Kubica 10
Kubica out-qualified Russell 0

Norris out-qualified Sainz 7
Sainz out-qualified Norris 3

Kvyat out-qualified Albon 4
Albon out-qualified Kvyat 5

Raikkonen out-qualified Giovinazzi 5
Giovinazzi out-qualified Raikkonen 4

Some points here: I think all these guys are doing a good job, though all short of race experience as you'd expect.

Gio said himself it was difficult after two years out and is only just finding form . . . but I think he'll be ok.

Kvyat may be prone to brain fade but he's no slouch, so Albon is pretty much on the pace too.

Norris is super quick but you can see how Carlos' race craft gets him ahead. But that will come.

Kubica . . . difficult to understand how he can drive at all with one hand, but maybe we shouldn't take too much away from George. Kubica was often quicker than Sirotkin and Stroll last year in Q and testing. This year, Kubica has been closer to George on occasions than Stroll or Gasly to their team mates.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net