Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Indy 500 qualifling
Discussion started by The Terminator , 19 May, 2019 12:46
Indy 500 qualifling
The Terminator 19 May, 2019 12:46
I've never really bothered with it, but was interested to see how Alonso got on.

SIX hours later, he didn't make the top 30, means he is in a shootout today (bump day) for one of the last three places at the back of the grid. (weather permitting)

Basically for the last two hours of qualifying, teams can send drivers out for as many four lap runs as they wish, Alonso was sent out four times in the last two hours, with little improvement
He wasn't a happy chappy, it wasn't on his agenda to make up the numbers, knowing the best he can hope for is a place on the back row.

Nice to see Danica Patrick in the studio as a pundit, wow she scrubs up well.

Re: Indy 500 qualifling
phatjack 19 May, 2019 18:02
I'm guessing the guy who showed some promise in a Minardi not so long ago is having a humbling moment?

The Terminator 19 May, 2019 22:01
[quote phatjack]I'm guessing the guy who showed some promise in a Minardi not so long ago is having a humbling moment?[/quote

Alonso is bumped out, McLaren with all their money and resources have thrown everything at this, but they have lost out to much smaller teams with young drivers.
Yes, a very humbling moment for Alonso.

IanSmithISA 20 May, 2019 12:04
Good morning,

I wonder if MO'D is watching and considering if this is hint for Williams at board level.

McLaren F1 have had a period of excessive self confidence which was shattered when Honda was replaced by Renault.

McLaren turned up at the Indy 500 with their own operation and failed to qualify, when last year Andretti Autosport almost gave Alonso a winning car.

These both occurred with a very corporate management structure.

Ferrari is a big corporate with a very corporate board who can win at F1, this was shown when the F1 operation was run by people who were allowed to run it as a sort of private team.

Mercedes has had success and the F1 team is part owned by Toto and is run as a sort of private team.

For both of these teams the mainstream business people at Merc and Fiat have deliberately detached themselves from the day to day operations.

Williams seems to have a mainstream business people board who seem to want to develop WAE and don't seem to be able to separate that objective from the operation of the F1 team.

Bye

Ian

phatjack 21 May, 2019 23:02
When the current best 4th team F1 can not compete against the likes of an F2 team like Juncos Racing, money is not the issue.

But I can sympathize Williams and F1 are the pinnacle of motor sports.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2019 23:43 by phatjack.

WilliamsF1Fan 23 May, 2019 19:51
If Zak Browns interview in Autosport is anything to go by, they made Williams efforts in winter testing look Mercedes like by comparison. I mean, turning up with no steering wheel!

CLOVERLEAF 888 23 May, 2019 20:14
The actual issue with the steering wheel can create dramatic headlines. Zak explained on sky that they were going to use the normal supplier but it was decided to build their own. With other things going wrong they realised they were running out of time. Hence they decided to go to the normal supplier. By that time, that supplier didn't have any.

WilliamsF1Fan 23 May, 2019 20:33
Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888
The actual issue with the steering wheel can create dramatic headlines. Zak explained on sky that they were going to use the normal supplier but it was decided to build their own. With other things going wrong they realised they were running out of time. Hence they decided to go to the normal supplier. By that time, that supplier didn't have any.

It makes you wonder what's going on with these two very prominent UK based, and previously very successful F1 Teams when they can't recognize that their design and build programs are wrong, and don't have a back up plan. Is it a case of too many rookie designers led by poor design/build management?

CLOVERLEAF 888 23 May, 2019 21:58
Totally agree Williams F1. It does make you wonder if the resources are too thin on the ground or they have too many people in one area and not the other. I'm guessing they really didn't have the manpower or expertise to go it alone and build their own car in the time frame they had. Andretti already proved in one of his cars Alonso was at the front last year. Of course Alonso famous comment about the grand prix engine being a Gp2 engine has also hampered him for sure. Honda want nothing to do with him

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/05/2019 21:59 by CLOVERLEAF 888.

CLOVERLEAF 888 27 May, 2019 21:46
So anybody watch the Race? ?

SydneyF1Fan 31 May, 2019 10:34
Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888
So anybody watch the Race? ?

No. Would have done if Alonso in it, though!

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

CLOVERLEAF 888 31 May, 2019 13:06
Did seem to put a few people off Alonso not racing but wasn't the end of the world. Some great racing but Alonso was a possible extra draw for the organisers that didn't pay off

Gunk 31 May, 2019 16:13
Seemed to me total arrogance by McLaren - that they could turn up at just one race and have a shot at winning. Bananas.

The Terminator 31 May, 2019 18:24
Quote:
Gunk
Seemed to me total arrogance by McLaren - that they could turn up at just one race and have a shot at winning. Bananas.

The whole idea of Alonso and McLaren just rolling up and taking part in one single race of an indy car series, smacks of total arrogance.
I would imagine there were a number of teams and drivers having immense fun when Alonso failed to even qualify his McLaren for the race.

CLOVERLEAF 888 31 May, 2019 20:17
yeah agree totally....it was madness to do it the way they did.

Serves them right They showed a complete lack of respect and level of the other teams.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net