f1
Latest News:

2019 Australian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Are Ferrari cheating?
Posted by: pgj
Date: 15/04/2018 15:13
Quote:
T-800 Model 101
Quote:
andy si
I understood that oil burning for performance gain is illegal?!

Interesting...Getting mixed answers here.

OK. To clear up my suspiciously legal comment. F1 is a prototype series and all teams will push the regulations to the limit. In this context, a team is cheating if it knowingly flouts the Technical Regulations. If one team suspects that another team has misinterpreted the regulations they can ask the FIA to investigate and adjudicate. This will render the item in question either legal or illegal. If the development is deemed illegal to continue to use/deploy the item would be cheating.

Oil burning of more than something like. 6 liters per 100 km is illegal. Last year engines had special chambers with especially formulated oil in them that was used solely for burning. That was declared illegal.

In my view Ferrari has developed another system that serves a similar purpose: a part mode power boost. I doubt that it is illegal under the present regulations. If the development was investigated, I suspect the FIA would close the loophole. The problem is that evidence has to be presented to the FIA before they will investigate. If it is investigated I think it would be banned. All we have at the moment is a cloud of smoke every time the ferrari is started and vapour/smoke being emitted from the back of the car. That is not enough for the FIA to investigate but it is suspicious.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net