Latest news:

2019 Belgian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: The all New FW42
Posted by: IanSmithISA
Date: 24/12/2018 07:57
Good morning,

Sky have announced that they are ending the sponsorship of their cycling team at the end of the 2019 season.

So what you may think it is cycling so the budget was tiny, apparently it was in the region of 25 million per year plus a bit more in bonuses.

The way that money was spent was quite unusual in cycling, the rules say that World Tour teams, the top teams, must attend all World Tour events. So Sky had to go to them but the reality is that the team only really seemed to care about the Tour de France originally and after success in that event the Tours of Italy and Spain as well.

They achieved massive success in these events by being single minded, they would hire national champions and say "your job is to support our team leader and your ambitions will have to wait". As Sky were paying so much many top quality riders said fine.

Given that Sky aren't particularly well liked in the UK, but hold the live TV rights and it costs 22 (basic) + 18(F1 channel) per month, please Claire get on the phone.

For 25 million I suspect that most teams would offer car colour and front and back of the rear wing and either the side pods or the engine cover, I suspect that many here would forgive the ugly colour scheme that would probably follow.

On a more geenral note most cycling teams budgets are guessed to be in the 12-20 million range so there is more sponsorship money out there than many may believe. Probably the second most successful team is Quick Step, who are suppliers of floors, Force India came up with BWT a water supplier that I and I suspect that many here had never heard of and of course there is Rich Energy.

So if the 2019 car is short of sponsorship it doesn't seem that it is entirely due to a depressed market.

I do remember the reports of Ron Dennis having a rant when Williams became AT&T Williams for a relatively small amount, so there is probably a sweet spot between the old tobacco days and undervaluing space in what appears to be a dying sport. If Williams can get rid of debt by selling space for a year at less than they would like it would be another year nearer a revival.

Bye

Ian

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net