Latest news:

2019 Belgian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: 2nd Test. 2019.
Posted by: shriekback
Date: 02/03/2019 18:50
Quote:
j-s
I understand the calls to curb the negativity prevalent among many posters, including myself. I don't agree, but I know that reading negative stuff is exhausting. Especially for the glass-half-full guys.

I, for one, am not opposed to fans being critical of how their favorite team goes about its business. If we are invited to care, we're going to care about failures as well as successes, and we're likely to criticize the former as we anticipate and celebrate the latter. I think everyone involved in the team expects and appreciates this, and wouldn't wish it any other way.

I just think we need to do better to make sure that when we criticize the team we do so in fair and reasonable ways, informed by an understanding of what we are up against.

To be a Williams fan in 2019 is to root for a team that is trying to do things in a way that makes ultimate success very, very difficult to achieve. Were they to somehow rise to the top of the sport again--competing with massively over-funded, spoiled for resources behemoths like the Mercedes and Ferrari teams--both bearing the name and with the backing of a huge global brand and with many, many hundreds more people in them, all clever as hell and also working their tails off, no less--it would be a story truly for the ages.

My point is that if one finds that prospect--of taking on a really, really difficult challenge against really long odds, with the likelihood of winning being quite remote (certainly in the short term)--to be one unappealing to follow and support, that person should probably move on. In any case, using it as an excuse to vent other frustrations of life by unfairly insulting the people willing to take on such a challenge, as if only their lack of competence could be standing between them and winning it all every year, is pretty annoying.

Quote:
j-s
Can the team improve? Of course. Will we see a better car in Melbourne? Definitely. Will it be better than the next best team? I doubt it. Maybe in time.
Cheers to all and let's hope for a good first race. At least seeing a car running without sacrifices.

Sounds like fun to me!

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net