Latest news:

2019 Belgian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: 2nd Test. 2019.
Posted by: keith wakefield
Date: 02/03/2019 18:56
Quote:
shriekback
Quote:
GPL
from what i can read into what the team and Robert are saying there will be no
magic bullet anytime soon.

I don't see how Robert in any way addressed such a prima facia silly hope -- "magic" bullet? The very term suggests that it is not worth taking seriously and I can't imagine Robert ever even began to entertain such an idea. One might as well put all of one's savings into the purchase of lottery tickets. Yes, people do actually win the lottery, and every couple of decades or so someone comes up with a double-diffuser or active suspension and rises from obscurity to take an unanticipated championship. If your interest depends on that occurring to you or your chosen team, however, odds are you are going to be bored and disappointed.

Quote:
GPL
Again if we are not competitive it does not hold my interest.

Ok, fair enough. It's good to be honest with yourself. You root for front-runners only. That's extremely unlikely to be Williams this year. Let me suggest you get behind Mercedes, Ferrari, or (if you are even a little bit of a gambler) Red Bull instead. That, or pick another sport entirely. Perhaps some years down the road, Williams will again justify your interest and you can rejoin the discussion as a genuine--albeit fair-weather--supporter.

Quote:
GPL
We need a proven aero man or a new wizz kid on the block.

Have you evaluated, from a genuinely informed perspective, the resumes of those that Frank and Claire (presumably with Paddy's input) have hired to do that job and determined that they are unproven amateurs? I strongly suspect not. I think you should reflect upon the fact that the competition have also hired very knowledgeable and talented people--likely the very cream of the crop of aerodynamicists in the world--to work for them too and that the difference between first and last in the competition they are engaged in is 2 or 3 seconds over several miles. We think of the FW41 as a terrible car. The truth is that it was able to go around a wildly twisty course in an incredibly short amount of time and that it was, by any objective measure, a fantastic machine. It just fell a few short seconds behind what nine other machines could cover that time in. (Oh, by the way, women can be aero experts as well.)

Formula 1 is an incredibly competitive endeavor and besting any competitor at all is a massive achievement. If the best efforts of a team of incredibly talented and devoted people engaged in that effort doesn't capture your interest, there is a world full of other ways to pass your short time on the planet.

For me, at least, following, supporting, and delighting in whatever success might come to one of the few remaining properly independent old-school F1 teams in this era of massive trans-national corporate involvement in the sport, justifies and richly rewards my attention. I can't wait for the real competition to start. As long as Williams is able to get after it and race, either at the back or at the front, I'll be along for the ride and having a great time.

Geez what a load of crap.

You should be a politician talking all this drivel.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net