Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Imola '94
joepr 01 May, 2014 13:23
I did not like Senna too much even at Williams until I watched him in Brazil 94 (1st race for Senna in a Williams). The track was full for practice and Qualify. It was raining and nobody was running until Senna jumped into the Williams. The whole crowd started to cheer and everybody was happy. He did a few interviews and behaved better than my impressions when he was on an opposite team of mine. He did not finish the race and the crowd left the track with him. Brazil came to see Senna.

I was watching live the Imola race when Senna had the accident. I could not believe it and that simple crash would take Senna's life.

Imola was my favorite race to go because it was off season and could fly from PR to Milan for less than $500. I could fly to Italy on a Weds. and return Monday morning. I loved to stay in Modena and eat at the Fini Restaurant in the old City. Senna, San Marino and Fini are gone but very good memories for me.

Brazil lost more than the best F1 driver ever but also lost a great human being. Long Live Senna's Memory

andy si 01 May, 2014 13:29
I started watching and following this sport in '89 and by '91, I was a Williams fan... well Mansell fan to be exact... having followed this sport with my father who routed for Senna.

I quickly got my nose in the technical aspect as a youth and have never let up since. But this sport being a business, I kinda stuck with Williams from the beginning.

And despite it's ups and downs, have not strayed away from the team. It may be all about the dominant driver taking control of the technoloogy, but you need the cutting edge material to perform at that level. It's the same for everybody. Those who say different are full of it...

The most impact on me was made by departure of Mansell (which I now see in a slightly different light), Hill and most of all Montoya. Montoya for me was a champion that never was.. he left an imprint on me of how you race for every milimeter of racetrack and still be fair on track.

The day Senna died I was behind my TV and still under the impression of the two crashes that marked that weekend in Imola. First was most theatrical and Roubens licked through it... second one almost a passing moment that happened in practice. Senna was on to Benetton electronic missuse that year and if they had been a second slower without their illegal car, I am convinced that Senna would not have been pushing those 105% that it took. But in the end a set of unfortunate circumstances for him and for Roland on that weekend.

Sadly.. ethics still come second when it's all about winning!

j-s 01 May, 2014 19:36
I didn't follow F1 in 94. I was well aware of it but I didn't much care for it then.

I have always been put off by some fans who accuse Williams of the whole thing. It's justified to some degree, of course, but the pal set over the team (one that remains to this day) has always made me uneasy. Granted, 99% of fans don't feel this way, although deep down I feel there will always be a dark shadow cast over the team. One that intensifies when the anniversaries come round.

One of the most heartbreaking things is seeing SFW recall Senna, celebrating his talents, while the undertone is one of utter tragedy and recognition that it happened in one of his cars. A heavy burden for SFW. Obviously PH as well. They endured the brunt of his passing, what with the criminal charges and disrepute and what not. Unfortunate.

Senna deserves to be remembered as an extraordinary talented racing driver. Enigmatic on and off the track. Ruthless and caring at the same time. The most significant driver in F1 history. And a sad sad loss.

Where would he be today? Who knows. Not worth thinking about it perhaps.

Ozzy Osbone 02 May, 2014 00:17
Many say president of Brazil.

rpralon 02 May, 2014 03:51
It was a very sad weekend.
with a Sunday that should not have existed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2014 03:57 by rpralon.

cronos666 02 May, 2014 22:14
i was 25 years old, watching the race in my bed and i thought at first that its was a heavy crash but nothing life theatening.

sadly i was wrong

phatjack 03 May, 2014 09:29
1977 British GP. A McLaren-Ford driver ignited my passion for all things fast but short lived.

"When you talk, you are repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new." - Dalai Lama

Ant_no dec 03 May, 2014 11:47
the sky f1 senna week was fantastic. this video from Mclaren gave me goosebumps [youtu.be]

Ozzy Osbone 03 May, 2014 20:11
I watched most of it, haven't watched the Ron one yet. Thought it was great that they gave Brabham as much time as Hill to talk about being a last team mate at Imola 94. I always liked David Brabham and thought he could have gone further. At least a good journeyman like DC or Webber, if not a WDC.

Ant_no dec 04 May, 2014 17:43
yeah im also really pleased they dedicated time for Roland too.

THIAGO F1 05 May, 2014 13:39
http://www.jeffbannow.com/film/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Senna-movie-Smiling-Ayrton-1.jpg

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net