Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T Le Mans
Discussion started by Andrew Hooper , 14 June, 2014 12:54
O/T Le Mans
Andrew Hooper 14 June, 2014 12:54
Settling in for a night of Le Mans ...hope Mark Webber has a good race.

Re: O/T Le Mans
J4ck 14 June, 2014 15:22
Marco Bonanomi was very unlucky ... a real shame

tomazy 15 June, 2014 16:31
That was one hack of a race. Congratualtion to Audi for a win, and to all other winners in other categories, and to all that finished that hard win. Toyota had a great pace, but so did Audi (Ideal lap from #2 would get them pole position in qually (Sm105)). It would be a gigantic battle betwin them if all cars would run without troble. Porshe was a bit slower, but made it furder than I thought they would. I was not impressed with Webbers performance, but there car had a handeling isue or something, becouse it was Slower than #14.

Lurcher 16 June, 2014 07:37
I could hardly tear myself away. What a great race. Audi changed a turbo unit in 17 mins! Anazing. I loved the way the Audi crew applauded the Porsche guys for getting their stricken car out for the final lap. Shows there is still a bit of honour in motorsport.

Mikef1 16 June, 2014 09:42
We leant porche a few bits and pieces to get their car back out. Ive never worked such a good race. Frustrating to let audi win. Met mark webber for the first time too. Hes a lot more laidbacjk than in f1

Andrew Hooper 16 June, 2014 10:37
Who do you work for mike

tomazy 16 June, 2014 13:17
Better luck next year Mike (you work at Toyota as data engeneer right?). What could you leant to Porshe? They had a gearbox failure right, are there parts compatible between the cars?

And one more question, if both #7 Toyota and #2 Audi would run wihout problems, how close together would they finish? # 7 was 95s in front after 14 hours of race. I think that would be an epic battle till the end.

MViper 16 June, 2014 13:24
Yeah, great race. Also impressed with #8. Good fightback.

What happened to #7? Gearbox, tranny..?

ROKiT Williams Racing

tomazy 16 June, 2014 14:53
#7 had an electrical problem. Vatch this video at 1:10:50.

Mikef1 16 June, 2014 15:05
Tools not parts. Our cars are as different as jam and marmalade

Mikef1 16 June, 2014 15:06
Yeah data analysis and strategist at toyota

MViper 17 June, 2014 12:16
Cheers tomazy. I went to sleep at 23:00, woke up at 08:00, just in time I missed this.

Shame, I was cheering for Toyota, due to Mikef1 involment and also a little bit because of Wurz and Naka (he's not fastest F1 driver but still a nice guy).

Well, onwards to next race.

ROKiT Williams Racing

Mikef1 17 June, 2014 19:06
Ah thats nice man thanks. It was weird going to sleep and waking up, realising your car had been running that whole time. Having to spend half an hour figuring out how your stint is going and then making calls that I was not 100% sure about given that I had missed tonnes of data while I was sleeping.

tomazy 17 June, 2014 20:01
So Mike, with all the data you have, how close pace vise do you think P1 cars were? I think only Audi #2 was driven to its max potential when it was chasing #20, could #7 match those times at that stage of the race?

I understand if you dont answer, probably top secret info smiling smiley

Mikef1 17 June, 2014 20:24
Its hard to tell. I can give my opinion without stating fact but both our and the audi are very sensitive to conditions. We see where the audi is stronger than us and when we have the edge. But overall I feel our car is at the very least as fast as the audi. The porche is a bit slower but they are making more progress as their car is not as refined yet. To be honest we were not looking at the porche over the weekend. We were looking at the audi. It is frustrating working for 3 drivers sharing a car as their driving styles are not as closely matched as we want. As engineers, wed rather have one driver or a robot. Thats the biggest challenge in this job. Knowing one driver could be 5 tenths a lap up with this setup and yet the other two are at a deficit.

rpralon 17 June, 2014 22:04
Toyota had the best car. They should have raced with 3 cars as Audi.
Quantity counts at Le Mans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/06/2014 01:01 by rpralon.

Andrew Hooper 18 June, 2014 07:11
I just hope that we have Toyota, Audi, Porsche, and possibly one other manufacturer staying with the WEC for many years to come.

MViper 18 June, 2014 08:38
Mikef1:

You're one of Williams board family members, of course we're all cheering for you and your team smiling smiley

Interesting. I always thought engineers and important members have a "backup guy" when going to sleep. So when he wakes up, the other guys give him quick recap and the vital information.

Question, if you're allowed to answer smiling smiley. Is Toyota generaly happy with their V8's or are they looking to switch to diesels due to consumption?

ROKiT Williams Racing

Mikef1 18 June, 2014 09:43
We do. There is a team of 6 strategists but they are too involved to explain to me what went on while I was napping. As for fhe question about the diesels. I don't really know. Whatever hapoens with design doesnt make it to the pitlane. Otherwise gossip starts and then people catch wind.

MViper 18 June, 2014 10:15
Thanks Mike!

Do you guys work in predetermined shifts or take a nap when you feel like it?

ROKiT Williams Racing

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net