Latest news:

2020 Portugese Grand Prix Rd 12. Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: The hottest rumour in the Spa paddock today: Williams offered Fernando Alonso a cockpit for 2018.
williams4284 26 August, 2017 12:46
yeah sure. look at our performances lately. We are helpless. :/

Re: The hottest rumour in the Spa paddock today: Williams offered Fernando Alonso a cockpit for 2018.
pixel 27 August, 2017 09:28
This only really makes any sense from Alonso's perspective if he thinks that the 2018 Williams car will be a considerable step up from 2017.

2018 will be the first car designed under Paddy Lowe's technical leadership (didn't they work together at McLaren?) so it might be reasonable to assume that Williams will move forward.

Still a gamble for Alonso, but staying at McLaren is a gamble too.....

AlanJones 27 August, 2017 13:46
Just saying that there must be a reason why Bottas hasn't been confirmed. Let the rumours commence..

https://i.ibb.co/zhmNGgW/GRDAY1header-01.png

TMT 27 August, 2017 13:51
Its interesting where Max would move to because would Hamilton or Vettel want Max as their team mate?

rpralon 27 August, 2017 14:28
Alonso at Williams is like a dream.
After Montoya years, Williams never had this kind of passionate driver.
A driver who really can do the difference.

I dont know what happens with Williams in lasts gps.
If the car is becoming slowing or Massa is totally demotivated.

TMT 27 August, 2017 14:34
The problem with Alonso going to Williams is that he is going there at the end of his career so he will be another has been like Massa.

Williams to get grandpa Alonso...great just great (Sm17)

Duffer 27 August, 2017 14:36
Alonso is still the best. He has at least 3 more good years in him.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/jock298/Duffer_2Sig.png

TMT 27 August, 2017 14:37
Williams needed Alonso 7 or 8 years ago not now because if they get him now they will be getting grandpa Alonso.

Dbpinho 27 August, 2017 18:08
Grandpa alonso? are you guys serious ? His by far one of the best drivers on the grid. 2 time world champion, if he was on a mercedes or a ferrari he would probably win the championship. Show some respect. We would be extremely lucky to have him.

phatjack 27 August, 2017 19:30
Yeah, Fred deserves a top drive ... so does Verstappen but I regress this is a Willy board and knee jerk reactions are the norm.

Gunk 27 August, 2017 19:55
Quote:
phatjack
Yeah, Fred deserves a top drive ... so does Verstappen but I regress this is a Willy board and knee jerk reactions are the norm.

Then why are you here? Why do you continually denigrate posters who provide far more insightful posts than you?

phatjack 27 August, 2017 20:09
Quote:
Gunk
Quote:
phatjack

Then why are you here? Why do you continually denigrate posters who provide far more insightful posts than you?

Gunk, should I just accept what is written on this board as gospel? I hope you're not suggesting we should all buy into the same @#$%& because that would make this site dare I say a site that prohibits free speech.

If that is the norm on this board god help us all?

AlanJones 27 August, 2017 20:22
The only one that is not giving anyone their opinion or their free speech around here is you PJ. You never seem to accept any opinion from anyone that is not in line with your own blittering opinion. So do not start on Gunk on this. He is right about you on this one.

phatjack 27 August, 2017 20:39
Yeah AJ, come at with more than me responding to a poster calling Fred a "Grandpa alonso?".

I think you and Gunk should get a room. Safe spaces are for those that can't accept a different opinion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 27/08/2017 20:41 by phatjack.

Mehryar 27 August, 2017 21:38
Skysport.com :

"I will have a think and take decisions in the next month," said Alonso when asked about the Williams speculation.

"I have had offers. I have had offers in June, July and August. 60 per cent of them I have said no to already, the other 40 per cent is still on the table."

----------------------------------------------

I hope the worst possible races from Mclaren in next2 races to push him more out of the team, then any scenario would finish to be a better lineup for us in 2018.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

AlanJones 27 August, 2017 22:00
Quote:
phatjack
Yeah AJ, come at with more than me responding to a poster calling Fred a "Grandpa alonso?".

I think you and Gunk should get a room. Safe spaces are for those that can't accept a different opinion.

Kid.

AlanJones 28 August, 2017 08:36
Stories rise that it was already getting more serious between Alonso and Williams. Management of Alonso allegedly has had talks with Williams already prior to the Hungarian Grand Prix.
In any way the story seems to have been leaked by "team Alonso" rather than a statement by Williams. Williams only acknowledged the story at Spa as did Alonso. So there could be two things that are happening now:
1) (mostly our favourite) Alonso is really thinking on joining us. Else there would have been no use to acknowledge the story rather than denying it.
2) Alonso only wants to play out McLaren and/or possible other interested parties and take the best pick. Either that is the best pick on the sportive side or the best pick for his bank account, that's something I am not going to discuss.

My guess is number 2. And if McLaren really want to keep Alonso, they must ditch Honda. As said by Brundle as well. So if McLaren ditches Honda, who will pick up Honda? Will Red Bull take the gamble with Toro Rosso? Can they sell this to Verstappen, with Ricciardo joining Ferrari in 2019, to have (possibly) another year of having an underpowered Renault engined car before getting Honda which is the weaker engine manufacturer at the moment?

A lot going on this silly season. And I am loving it.

By the way, the Brundle quote:
http://e2.365dm.com/17/08/16-9/20/skysports-f1-sky-graphic-brundle_4084605.jpg

TerraNova19 28 August, 2017 11:23
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIQe3hJXYAEpdac.jpg:large

TerraNova19 28 August, 2017 11:28
Quote:
AlanJones
Stories rise that it was already getting more serious between Alonso and Williams. Management of Alonso allegedly has had talks with Williams already prior to the Hungarian Grand Prix.
In any way the story seems to have been leaked by "team Alonso" rather than a statement by Williams. Williams only acknowledged the story at Spa as did Alonso. So there could be two things that are happening now:
1) (mostly our favourite) Alonso is really thinking on joining us. Else there would have been no use to acknowledge the story rather than denying it.
2) Alonso only wants to play out McLaren and/or possible other interested parties and take the best pick. Either that is the best pick on the sportive side or the best pick for his bank account, that's something I am not going to discuss.

My guess is number 2. And if McLaren really want to keep Alonso, they must ditch Honda. As said by Brundle as well. So if McLaren ditches Honda, who will pick up Honda? Will Red Bull take the gamble with Toro Rosso? Can they sell this to Verstappen, with Ricciardo joining Ferrari in 2019, to have (possibly) another year of having an underpowered Renault engined car before getting Honda which is the weaker engine manufacturer at the moment?

A lot going on this silly season. And I am loving it.

By the way, the Brundle quote:
http://e2.365dm.com/17/08/16-9/20/skysports-f1-sky-graphic-brundle_4084605.jpg

Alonso is playing hardball with McLaren and Honda. He is a master at playing his cards in F1.
Difficult to believe he will come to Williams.

Brundle opinion in this case is just plain stupid.
He should take a look at Red Bull.

"Jos Verstappen says he and Max are starting to question whether troubled Red Bull-Renault can turn things around"

McLaren Honda or Mclaren Renault it will be the same@#$%&in 2018.

In 2018 Honda or Renault will still have a power deficit (at least 30-40 hp) to Mercedes or Ferrari.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 28/08/2017 12:06 by TerraNova19.

TerraNova19 28 August, 2017 11:31
Tobi Grόner 🏁‏Verified account @tgruener 1h1 hour ago

Honda commited to stay in F1 next year. But Alonso told McLaren he will only sign new contract without Honda.

[twitter.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 28/08/2017 11:52 by TerraNova19.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net