Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 10 of 12
Re: Launch Date FW41 15th Feb
Mr. Pink 20 February, 2018 17:47
So no carbon gearbox after all...
[twitter.com]

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8830/logoqz0.gif
Sir Frank: "It's what we do, we love doing it. It's like oxygen, it fixes you".

GPL 20 February, 2018 18:04
Lets wait and see shall we, remember they have just hired a guy from Hewland.

So i would say it is on it,s way

GPL 20 February, 2018 18:27
16th Jan.

It seems so, that Williams will not purchase the gearbox from MercedesAMG tea

Craig Scarborough
@ScarbsTech
The @WilliamsRacing team significantly bolsters its gearbox design resources with the hiring of Manuel Tordillo who was previously head of transmission design @Hewland_Eng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2018 18:29 by gpl.

Mikef1 20 February, 2018 19:05
He checked this at the launch, the team would not talk about what material the gearbox would be. It would be silly if it is still aluminium given all the hype at end of last year about the new rear end that turned out to be tripe.

Mr. Pink 20 February, 2018 23:00
Silly has nothing to do with it...
Anyway, we will know for sure in a few days.

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8830/logoqz0.gif
Sir Frank: "It's what we do, we love doing it. It's like oxygen, it fixes you".

Andrew Hooper 21 February, 2018 04:38
I can not understand why Williams is been so I suppose the only way to describe it is secretive with only digital images showing the car. The first day of testing is next Monday and I have looked high and low and can't find anything.

Mikef1 21 February, 2018 07:37
Quote:
Mr. Pink
Silly has nothing to do with it...
Anyway, we will know for sure in a few days.

Silly has everything to do with it. Aluminium weight and rigidity make it an inferior product. They know this to be fact and have done for years, that's why the rest of the car is carbon fibre... as such. It would be silly not to make the gearbox out of carbon fibre when they have the expertise.

williams4284 21 February, 2018 07:56
Maybe it was not the most area in need, I guess you cannot change everything at one go.

GPL 21 February, 2018 08:13
If we want to try and start the new season on the front foot
then we will need all these new bits on the car from the the get go testing day one..

With such a radical departure from the generic stuff we have been
producing for god knows how many seasons now we may well encounter
lots of little niggles to be ironed out, which may well cut down on or track time,
so we need the new gearbox on the car next Monday the new front end we can wait a bit longer maybe.

Mikef1 21 February, 2018 10:06
Gpl, is there a new front end?

GPL 21 February, 2018 11:50
I am guessing yes

The one we have seen on the render looks to much like last years.
we could even go merc style???.

GPL 21 February, 2018 12:34
I was just looking at some of the front ends of the cars from last season
and do we need the thumb style front end like FW40 on the new FW41 if we are going to use the cape underneath the nose section.
Maybe Merc style is the way to go??.

Mikef1 21 February, 2018 17:24
I'm not too sure. Renault abandoned it, as have Toro Rosso in favour of the thumb. The thumb was widely accepted as the better option but harder to pass the crash tests. With Ferrari and red bull being better aero cars than the merc, I wouldn't bet against their choice. Especially seeing two teams drop the narrow nose concept

GPL 21 February, 2018 19:18
You could be right, but i would like to
see a revised design of it at least then.

Mikef1 21 February, 2018 19:54
Yes me too.

j-s 21 February, 2018 20:12
Thumb noses are ugly. The nose is what gives a whole car its looks. First thing that catches your eye. I like cleaner noses without knobby protuberances or odd holes or gaps or weird curves. Applies to humans too.

They should've kept the high noses. Loved those.

K1 21 February, 2018 23:48
Check out the new Indy cars images. The nose treatment is sparse and simplistic but 'svelte' by comparison to F1. As complimentary to the entirely new design that they now have i find the entire car more pleasing to the eye and more of what i imagine a 21st century racecar should look like. Not a 'halo' in sight.

GPL 22 February, 2018 14:07
Any news at all about the real FW41 yet guys.

most of the other cars are having the shakedowns at various tracks.

j-s 22 February, 2018 15:25
Quote:
K1
Check out the new Indy cars images. The nose treatment is sparse and simplistic but 'svelte' by comparison to F1. As complimentary to the entirely new design that they now have i find the entire car more pleasing to the eye and more of what i imagine a 21st century racecar should look like. Not a 'halo' in sight.

Absolutely. They're a bit chunky but overall the design is very good. F1 cars look sci-fi in comparison, and not always in a good way.

Mikef1 23 February, 2018 12:16
F1 cars have weird rear wings and overly busy front wings. The obsession for aero is like cancer for racing.

Current Page: 10 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net