Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Bahrain GP - Race
ihme 08 April, 2018 18:17
I dont think that Sirotkin couldve passed Stroll

Remember that Stroll lost time cause he had damaged front wing and had to pit early and change the front wing (thats why he said he lost 10 secs) compromising his strategy and still finished in front of Sirotkin who couldnt get him on lowest fuel possible near the end of the race and fresh super soft tyres (Stroll was on a 20 or 30 lap old medium at that time) and when he finally got close to 0.1 to Stroll he probably managed to make a mistake because he suddenly dropped 1-2 secs behind

rpralon 08 April, 2018 18:24
(Sm56)It seems that 2018= 2013 =2011...
The car is simply slow. The drivers are slow too...
I dont know if there is a short term solution.
Paddy Lowe remind me Sam Michael in his worse moments.
Totally lost.(Sm56)

Anderis 08 April, 2018 18:30
Wow, wasn't that the worst weekend in Williams' history in F1? I only watch F1 since 2007 but that was enough to include many poor seasons of our team. But I can't recall a weekend where we would be outclassed by any team bar none. There were of course things like a double DNF, but to be the slowest team with such a big gap to the second slowest team all weekend in stable conditions? I can't recall.

Looks like we're finishing last in WCC. I don't have any faith in Barcelona upgrades. They had been scheduled before the team had any idea of what's being wrong with the car, so I doubt they are going to solve the mess which FW41 is right now.

ihme 08 April, 2018 18:42
So about the state of our car:

RK: "If i was to drive in Australia, id let the guys do it instead"

Stu69 08 April, 2018 19:07
Not many positives to pick out of that race for us! A week closer to Barcelona might be the only one I can come up with!

ihme 08 April, 2018 19:24
Paddy Lowe, Chief Technical Officer: It was not a great end to a very tough weekend for the team. We didnít have the pace today to compete with any other cars except ourselves. We have clearly got to go away and look deeply into what has affected our pace, even relative to where we were in Melbourne just two weeks ago. Weíll see what we can do in the short time available between now and China next week. This is a time to stick together as a team and work intelligently and diligently on the problems we face. Finally, I hope the Ferrari mechanic is OK after the nasty looking incident in the pitstop during the race.

Lance Stroll: I was really happy with my race, even though we were nowhere in terms of position. I had a really good start and picked up five positions, so I was happy about that. After that I touched the front wing fighting with Grosjean, so I had to box early and we lost 10 seconds as we had to change the front wing at the stop. But I managed to recover from that and beat my team mate at the end. I am obviously happy with the recovery we made after the first couple of laps. I still believe we did the maximum we could have done today. I hope we can be better in China, but behind the scenes there is a lot of work to be done.

Sergey Sirotkin: Itís not so easy to summarise the race. This was my first F1 race distance. It was a good experience, but we switched our plan. Our strategy was a two-stop, which we ended up sticking with and it was not optimum as I think we lost a bit of track time with that. Then I was caught by quite a lot of lapped cars, so again I lost quite a bit of track time. The pace was OK but we cannot follow other cars. Itís something we definitely need to improve. Itís a big problem on the first lap as itís impossible to fight people without damaging the front tyre. However, as we said a few days ago, weíre just trying to get to the end of the race. I tried all the tyre compounds, so it was a good experience and I came up with some good pace on the last set, so it was a reasonable improvement. Now we go to China.

ihme 08 April, 2018 19:27
"The pace was OK" (c) Sergey Sirotkin

I dont know what this guy is smoking, seriously

GPL 08 April, 2018 21:11
No updates for china then.

Seems just like they are peeing in the wind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2018 21:18 by gpl.

Mehryar 08 April, 2018 21:19
gpl Shanghai race is next week, only 4days time in between...I don't think any team will bring updates.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

ihme 08 April, 2018 21:24
"we cannot follow other cars. Itís something we definitely need to improve. Itís a big problem on the first lap as itís impossible to fight people without damaging the front tyre."

Can someone explain this to me? So there is absolutely no grip in our car on the first lap? What do we do in the first lap that we damage our tyres so badly? We lock them constantly cause i havent seen any lockups from our cars after few corners. I would think that the first lap is exactly the time we can fight with the other cars especially after a good launch.

Are we damaging our fronts this badly in the first lap, cause it seems like bullshit to me.

ihme 08 April, 2018 21:40
We are not dead last! Perez and Hartley got a s&g penalty.

We are P14 and P15!

btw can someone confirm that this is the first time in 41 years that both Williams cars finished last (excluding dnfs and this perez and Hartley penalty)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2018 21:43 by Ihminen.

Marco Cardoso 08 April, 2018 21:44
Quote:
Ihminen
We are not dead last! Perez and Hartley got a s&g penalty.
We are P14 and P15!

btw can someone confirm that this is the first time in 41 years that both Williams cars finished last (excluding dnfs and this perez and Hartley penalty)?

Lol

https://goo.gl/images/VESYsm

Mikef1 08 April, 2018 22:06
Quote:
Ihminen
"we cannot follow other cars. Itís something we definitely need to improve. Itís a big problem on the first lap as itís impossible to fight people without damaging the front tyre."
Can someone explain this to me? So there is absolutely no grip in our car on the first lap? What do we do in the first lap that we damage our tyres so badly? We lock them constantly cause i havent seen any lockups from our cars after few corners. I would think that the first lap is exactly the time we can fight with the other cars especially after a good launch.

Are we damaging our fronts this badly in the first lap, cause it seems like bullshit to me.

It is downforce loss. Which isn't working the tyres hard enough which means instead of generating grip they scrub on the floor.

I am fully confident that there is a big aero break somewhere on this car after seeing it on track around other cars. I'd expect a huge amount of work in our sidepod area over the next few update packages.

Sadly. As this will impact drag, downforce, fuel and cooling, Williams is doomed to fail unless they can get on top of it.

ihme 08 April, 2018 22:10
Yeah but downforce loss in the first lap affects like 95% of the field cause they are tightly packed together. Im talking about the first lap here only, surely its extremely abnormal to have such tyre deg on the first lap or is Sirotkin exaggerating?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2018 22:14 by Ihminen.

Mehryar 08 April, 2018 22:12
Quote:
MikeF1
I am fully confident that there is a big aero break somewhere on this car after seeing it on track around other cars. I'd expect a huge amount of work in our sidepod area over the next few update packages.

You mean the undercut? or bargeboard area? and if it's downforce issue why not a change at the front end/wing ?

I hope what you mean is not about redesign of whole sidepods as I don't remember the last time a team did it in last few years.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

ihme 08 April, 2018 22:38
So do we even have the budget for this year to fix this car before we are broke? I mean model things we need, do cfd calculations, slap some new possible parts on the windtunnel model, check cfd data correlation in the windtunnel and finally make the bits? And how much of it would be needed? I dont think this can be done before Barcelona cause Barcelona is after China and Baku so extremely soon. Claire said that we are bringing huge updates in the upcoming races. This kinda sucks because Baku is a street circuit with mostly 90 degree turns so what can we learn there if we cant test the car in long sweeping corners? I think we should be targetting Barcelona as a test of the new upgrades. And if they wont work? What do we do next, how far into the season can we push fixing this car?

Mikef1 09 April, 2018 05:57
Quote:
Ihminen
Yeah but downforce loss in the first lap affects like 95% of the field cause they are tightly packed together. Im talking about the first lap here only, surely its extremely abnormal to have such tyre deg on the first lap or is Sirotkin exaggerating?

Because if your car aero is already broken your deg is going to be high. If you add the additional loss of performance from the bunched pack your tyre day will be through the roof you gave no consistent aero driving loads needed to keep your tyres in the right window so they cool. Then you try and race at the pace of the rest of the pack and ruin your cold tyres.

Mikef1 09 April, 2018 06:00
Quote:
Mehryar
Quote:
MikeF1

You mean the undercut? or bargeboard area? and if it's downforce issue why not a change at the front end/wing ?

I hope what you mean is not about redesign of whole sidepods as I don't remember the last time a team did it in last few years.

Undercut and bargeboards area in my opinion are designed to work together on this car.

They did try the old front wing in Spain to no avail. but if the bargeboards are channelling the air in a different way to what is expected, the floor, diffuser, rear wing, engine temps will all be wrong. As such not only do you lose your most important downforce (floor) but you also lose your ability to push the engine and the increased fuel consumption would mean no better engine modes would really be accessible to help.

GPL 09 April, 2018 07:50
Quote:
Mehryar
gpl Shanghai race is next week, only 4days time in between...I don't think any team will bring updates.

Claire said there would be updates in the next few races china is a a next race

Well over 6 weeks now and no sight or sound of a fix.

AlanJones 09 April, 2018 08:01
Quote:
gpl
Quote:
Mehryar

Claire said there would be updates in the next few races china is a a next race

Well over 6 weeks now and no sight or sound of a fix.

Looking at cost saving, time slots and production times it would be more realistic to expect updates at Baku.

https://i.ibb.co/zhmNGgW/GRDAY1header-01.png

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net