2020 German Grand Prix Rd 11. Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 38 of 57
Re: News and Stuff!
AlanJones 30 January, 2020 16:16
Whether Mercedes leaves or not, that wouldn't matter. They will supply teams no matter what aside from the fact that their team will be taken over by someone with deep pockets. I wouldn't even be surprised, if Mercedes leaves, that they would make us their prime customer. There is a very tight history together with junior drivers, trading drivers, being the first team that committed themselves on a long term contract starting from the beginning of the turbo era (Force India had only a two year term at the beginning), having a team principal who has had shares in our team, and so on and so forth.
And best of all, it will become a privateer again. No factory works team. That is always good for F1. The more the merrier.

https://i.ibb.co/zhmNGgW/GRDAY1header-01.png

Mehryar 31 January, 2020 00:59
Mercedes board has denied such speculation but if it turns to be true, I doubt we would have a chance with them.If the rumors are true, Toto is the top candidate to buy the team he will get the works deal in his own favor not for a team he had some shares years ago.
Second candidate would be Mclaren without a doubt.They had long history with some success.It worked with them& they are more prepared to become a force in F1 again.Surely they will seek for a deserved one to be their works team.That's not what Williams is nowadays.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

j-s 01 February, 2020 05:06
Stroll buys a chunk of Aston. Williams was always too quaint for that guy.

IanSmithISA 01 February, 2020 08:38
Good morning,

True but not as true as the headlines suggest. :-)

Today Aston Martin announced an investment led by Lawrence Stroll of 45.6m new shares at 400p each to raise £182m, 400p being a tiny discount to the open market price at the time.

The Consortium, which will be led and controlled by Mr. Stroll, is expected to comprise a number of individuals including, but not limited to, André Desmarais (Former CEO of Power Corp. Canada), Michael de Picciotto (Vice-Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Engel & Volkërs AG), Silas Chou (the Hong Kong fashion sector investor), John Idol (Chairman and CEO of Capri Holdings), Lord Anthony Bamford (Chairman of JCcool smiley and John McCaw (former part owner of McCaw Cellular).

Post this investment the number of shares in circulation goes up to 273m from 228m an increase of 19%

After publication of the accounts a further £318m will be raised by an underwritten rights issue but the price is not yet clear. The Stroll consortium will be taking its entitlement worth about £52m.

If the issue price is again 400p this would represent a further 33% of the number of pre Stroll shares.

This seems to suggest a £500m capital raise at the expense of an increase in the number of shares by 52% or a 1:2 rights issue.

There are also commitments to the Racing Point F1 team, this seems like a win for the F1 team but a terrible idea for Aston Martin, diverting scarce resources.

As part of this, Aston Martin Lagonda has entered into a legally binding termsheet under which the Racing Point F1TM team will become the Aston Martin F1TM works team with effect from the 2021 season. This agreement is for a 10-year initial term and Aston Martin Lagonda will receive an economic interest in the team.

The agreement also includes a sponsorship arrangement from 2021 and for the subsequent four years with commercial terms commensurate with the Company's current annual F1TM expenditure, renewable for five years, subject to satisfying certain conditions at the time.

For the 2020 F1TM season Aston Martin will continue with its proud sponsorship of the Red Bull Racing F1TM Team.

The technology partnership between Aston Martin Lagonda and Red Bull Advanced Technologies will continue until Aston Martin Valkyrie is delivered

When Aston floated many people expected there to be some fundraising as well, but this did not happen. This fundraising has now been forced on existing share holders with a quite high level of dilution for a relatively small amount of capital in comparison with the 1,700p issue price.

So is £500m enough as it will still leave around £400m or debt to EBIDTA of around 3-3.5?

If the DBX really succeeds then probably, at least for the short term, DBX profits could be used to wipe out this debt.

However you would really like a successful model to provide funds for future development not fix issues from the past.

If the DBX only sells adequately or poorly then the debt levels seem to be too high.

Overall the Stroll led consortium will have bought £235m or close to 20% of Aston Martin.

Bye

Ian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2020 08:44 by IanSmithISA.

Ozzy Osbone 01 February, 2020 15:14
It looks to me like not enough. Aston is sadly not doing as well as it should. Also it has now shelved development of electric vehicles until 2025. This to me is a mistake. Something will replace the ICE, it has to. I think they will be too far behind the curve by then. Tesla is now the 2nd biggest car maker by market value in the world. Think about that.

I think what would have been smarter is to come up with an electric SUV and have a full works F1 and FE team whilst not ignoring the usual market.

What they seem to be saying is that if only they had more cash, they could make the same mistakes but on a larger scale.

K1 02 February, 2020 03:30
I am all in favor of some shake up of the status quo. Personally i am so sick and tired of it all being Mercedes, mercedes, mercedes. Hopefully the new arrangement will provide the basis of a stronger RP team. What will hold them back will be the drivers. If they want to mix it with the big boys then they need two gun drivers to take it on. That jury is currently out to lunch...

Ozzy Osbone 02 February, 2020 17:41
Agree with that mate. Both drivers still have question marks over them.

AlanJones 03 February, 2020 06:19
Problem with the Aston deal is something you can see from a mile coming. There isn't any money involved. RP still is operating on a shoestring budget with a skeleton crew. It all may look roses and dandelions, but it can't be different. Debt can be brushed away but that doesn't make RP a healthier team from the go. If cashflow was An issue before, it still is.
Now Aston Martin has been taken over, that doesn't bring any money. It is only a facade of marketing to promote Aston Martin in F1. Which is a good thing, but which is (for now) just an empty shell.
On the driver's side, there would be a desperate need for some good drivers. Stroll is okay-ish. But the kid will never win a race on merit of his own speed. Perez is good to have for the money involved, but is becoming a has been.

https://i.ibb.co/zhmNGgW/GRDAY1header-01.png

dot_com 03 February, 2020 12:00
Quote:
K1
I am all in favor of some shake up of the status quo. Personally i am so sick and tired of it all being Mercedes, mercedes, mercedes. Hopefully the new arrangement will provide the basis of a stronger RP team. What will hold them back will be the drivers. If they want to mix it with the big boys then they need two gun drivers to take it on. That jury is currently out to lunch...

Plus “racing point” is easily the stupidest name for a F1 team ever. I’ll be glad to see the back of that at least - although I think i still mostly refer to them as FI.

Rear Wing 1 03 February, 2020 13:04
Quote:
dot_com
Quote:
K1

Plus “racing point” is easily the stupidest name for a F1 team ever. I’ll be glad to see the back of that at least - although I think i still mostly refer to them as FI.

I think the name "racing point" is not really that stupid I actually don't mind that name.

j-s 03 February, 2020 19:29
I agree that F1 needs some fresh air and new contenders. If Stroll provides that through RP/Aston or whatever then fine. That team has been well managed and deserves becoming a contender at some point.

Reg Stroll Sr.... I'm way beyond resenting him for leaving Williams. It was an odd pairing to say the least. And he clearly knew where Williams was headed and so decided to let us hit bottom without him. A wise move on his part. He's an astute operator. It'll be interesting to see how far or how deep he wades into the F1 muck.

IanSmithISA 04 February, 2020 08:15
Good morning,

Lawrence Stroll seems to have come up with a great deal for him and up to a point for RP, it is a terrible deal for the existing Aston Martin Shareholders though.

The agreement also includes a sponsorship arrangement from 2021 and for the subsequent four years with commercial terms commensurate with the Company's current annual F1TM expenditure, renewable for five years, subject to satisfying certain conditions at the time.

What this means in money terms for RP is very unclear to me and as far as I can tell to journalists as well as nobody seems to be converting this phrase into a cash amount.

Whatever Stroll's contribution to the consortium's £235m is, some of that is coming back to him via RP sponsorship.

However the fact that he could get such a good dealing must come with a downside, can anybody make Aston Martin a success?

The DBX is late the market, is not cheap at around £150K and does Aston have the reputation to sell at that price point? This would be a no brainer if the car was a market leader but every review I have read has it as a competent entry into the market and nothing more.

In the past an electric version of the DBX was assumed to be around the corner, this appears to no longer be the case.

Given 10 years in F1 then Aston Martin may be a brand name that is as valuable as owner after owner of Aston Martin thought it was. :-)

Given Lawrence's wealth if he loses anything on this deal it seems it would be pocket change to him but am I buying Aston shares hoping that he can sprinkle magic dust onto the Aston Martin brand then the answer is no.

I can see paring costs to the bone, throwing all profit at removing debt and selling on in a couple of years as a profitable company with an old product range as a strategy.

Equally I can see the strategy as being I am wealthy, this looks like fun and its not much money.

Bye

Ian

Andrew Hooper 04 February, 2020 09:14
Stroll would follow the same pattern that so many wealthy people in the past have. Invest in either the teams or in business's with a link to F1 then after a few years of having this as a play thing sell up and move on as they realise that F1 is not a place where you can make money.

Well even if you can it's not going to give you a return that other parts of theses people business empires will give.

Or they will get sick and tired of it been a bottomless pit which just bleeds you of cash and leave.

Either way I don't think we will see Stroll around for too long. And if his son doesn't achieve results his departure will be even quicker.

Ozzy Osbone 06 February, 2020 14:27
Just to add to this, the UK govt has announced that the ban on the sale of petrol, diesel and hybrid cars has been brought forward to 2035. Aston are not even looking at electric / hydrogen until 2025. This seems suicidal to me.

Rear Wing 1 06 February, 2020 15:34
Aston Martins new mid engine supercar range looks amazing....Those new mid engine cars from Aston just look so damn nice.....WOW what wicked looking supercars they are.

Rear Wing 1 15 February, 2020 03:05
I find it interesting that Mercedes and Red Bull have a number 1 and a number 2 driver but Ferrari don't Ferrari have 2 number 1 drivers,...Very interesting indeed.

Damon96 28 February, 2020 07:14
I haven’t seen series 1 but it will be interesting to see how much gets exposed into what went wrong last year with Williams. Think it is on Netflix from today.

‘Drive to Survive’ will reveal ‘truth’ of Williams’ 2019

[www.planetf1.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2020 07:15 by Damon96.

Rear Wing 1 28 February, 2020 12:42
Did Ricciardo sign with Renault with 2021 in mind,? Renault are building an all new beast of an engine for the 2021 season, this Renault move by Ricciardo could have been a masterstroke if they come good in 2021 and win the title.

Mikef1 28 February, 2020 21:12
Quote:
Rear Wing 1
Did Ricciardo sign with Renault with 2021 in mind,? Renault are building an all new beast of an engine for the 2021 season, this Renault move by Ricciardo could have been a masterstroke if they come good in 2021 and win the title.

If I could sit ina Red Bull or a Renault in 2021, it would be the red bull. He left to preserve his status as a good driver by making sure he didn't get his @#$%& handed to him by verstappen for 2 more years. Thinking he could probably jump into a competitive car in 2021 or 2022.

Really, hes no better than Bottas was last year. Good, but not as good as the guy in the other car.

dot_com 28 February, 2020 23:18
Quote:
Mikef1
Quote:
Rear Wing 1

If I could sit ina Red Bull or a Renault in 2021, it would be the red bull. He left to preserve his status as a good driver by making sure he didn't get his @#$%& handed to him by verstappen for 2 more years. Thinking he could probably jump into a competitive car in 2021 or 2022.

Really, hes no better than Bottas was last year. Good, but not as good as the guy in the other car.

If Ricciardo gets beaten by Ocon this year, which is entirely possible, his career is as good as over in my opinion. Or at best he’ll be consigned to the midfield until retirement. If he can soundly beat Ocon, then he might stand a chance at a Ferrari or Mercedes seat in 2021. Personally I’ve always considered Ricciardo to be a little over-rated.

Current Page: 38 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net