Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 32 of 33
Re: "Details of Williams's plan to fix its F1 woes"
IanSmithISA 19 August, 2019 06:59
Good morning,

Watching that video was interesting in some ways.

The first part about the pedal box being built in house or by outsiders seems to reflect a modern general business idea that I believe is wrong; "people don't need to work in the same place at the same time".

I used to be a freelance computer programmer and have a lot of experience in working on projects at the time and location of my choosing. This was great for me but it can slow down other people as they can't just yell over the desk, "I don't understand this" and you end up with a greater segregation of knowledge.

So I get the thinking about moving apparently non critical parts out to a third party, the worry would be that when a change to this part is needed in a hurry the change can not be delivered so the new part that needed the change can't be added.

Also Joe in Aluminium Honeycomb can't say "Heh I have been playing with xyz and here's a spare bit try it on the..."

In other words it's the sort of idea that is dreamed up by someone who doesn't really understand the business.

Haas were mentioned but in my mind their model may be failing/never intended to build a race winning car. They are 9th this year with 26 points, a long way off 4th placed McLaren with 82pts but well in the 5th-9th place race where Toto Rosso are 5th with 43.

The part about Management Culture is reported and repeated so often with so little detail that I have no idea if it is true. Is what is reported as a blame culture really that or just an expression by some of a lack of ambition or effort by others? In the UK somebody seems to be on the news accusing some else of bullying pretty much every day.

The part about more pure testing on Friday is again hard for outsiders to really evaluate, is it the case that the development tools are producing the wrong results so they need looking at or is it a lack of/wrong with hindsight vision that the tools are being blamed for?

The part about George Russell is to me misleading, he is on loan so at the end of the loan period Williams won't be able to raise any fees from his moving and unless he is not as good as he appears at the moment he will be moving on.

Although McLaren are not back to where they want to be, the big culture shock of it not all being Honda's fault does seem to have resulted in very significant improvements, rather than talk of improvements.

Bye

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/08/2019 07:14 by IanSmithISA.

Re: News and Stuff!
CLOVERLEAF 888 31 August, 2019 19:19
That was horrible. Rip Hubert.

Tomorrow will be a sombre F1 race.

j-s 31 August, 2019 22:58
RIP. not a good way to go.

SydneyF1Fan 31 August, 2019 23:23
RIP Anthoine. Looked like a horrendous crash.

I don't follow F2 much, so hadn't heard of him before, but seemed like an up-and-coming talent who will be sadly missed.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Mehryar 31 August, 2019 23:29
Terrible accident and the saddest part is that it was unavoidable.
Sad for his loss and don't know if this track with current layout can escape from this...all in all, the nature of that favorite corner makes it impossible for a driver to know what's going on up there.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 13:16 by Mehryar.

CLOVERLEAF 888 01 September, 2019 06:17
Yeah this could be the end of that corner in its current format. I can see a much slower corner being introduced for the drag up the fast straight.

Gunk 01 September, 2019 13:36
There are lots of blind areas on lots of circuits . . . motor racing can't be 100% safe, it's inevitable.

erratic 02 September, 2019 12:09
Just heard on Talksport (UK sports broadcaster) that Williams are considering selling a stake in the engineering division.

Mehryar 02 September, 2019 13:51
Quote:
Gunk
There are lots of blind areas on lots of circuits . . . motor racing can't be 100% safe, it's inevitable.

There are hundreds of "corners" which have a blind exit.The problem's that it's not a corner actually.You don't have a straight on the calender which you travel with +300km/h and you can't see the road ahead.It's unqiue and dangerous in case of any incident up there.

I hope FIA won't meddle in and you're right but it will be a strange decision if they don't step in.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Gunk 02 September, 2019 21:03
Quote:
Mehryar
Quote:
Gunk

There are hundreds of "corners" which have a blind exit.The problem's that it's not a corner actually.You don't have a straight on the calender which you travel with +300km/h and you can't see the road ahead.It's unqiue and dangerous in case of any incident up there.

I hope FIA won't meddle in and you're right but it will be a strange decision if they don't step in.

Thanks. I didn't mean to be flippant. All the same, those arriving at the scene did so within seconds and reaction time was limited to almost non existent, whether they could see or no. From my very limited reading, it seems the argument is more about gravel versus tarmac run off areas than the nature of the track.

andy si 03 September, 2019 10:04
The domino effect started from Alesi's spin at the very top of the Eau Rouge combination.
From there a domino effect started for the following cars with the added problem of blind entry to the following straight.
A quite unfortunate string of events led to the tragedy. Could it be avoided? Yes, no... tough to say really... as the car bounced from the barriers sideways back towards the track and oncoming traffic.
No way it was going to end well unless everyone braked ASAP.

Only way this tragedy could have been avoided would be if all oncoming drivers reduced speed instantly through Eau Rouge as the cars spun. Warning drivers to do so, would require an advanced warning system enabling all cars in the race to generate the appropriate signal if a car has a problem... spin, instant deceleration, etc....

Vehicle to vehicle communication is being developed in line with autonomous drive... would make sence for racing to be it's testground for safety if not for anything else.

Stuart L 03 September, 2019 10:51
The news section on the Corporate section of the Williams website confirms a stock market announcement the team is in the early stages of looking at selling a stake in Advanced engineering.

This is probably the method by which debt can be managed / budget shortfalls be plugged without the family losing control of the business they really care about ....the F1 business. They canít sell a stake in holdings without the family losing majority control so this is an alternative way of generating cash.

I donít think it will be an easy sake. Many buyers donít like minorityís stakes...and in this case itís complicated by the engineering business using many shared manufacturing facilities owned by F1 team. I wonder if thereís more to this....advanced engineering might have to own all the manufacturing facilities and charge the F1 team to use them. Thatís a disaster in my opinion!

I think this is a sign the business is under capitalised and needing first aid to a degree.

Stu69 03 September, 2019 13:56
If you were selling a slice you would be encouraged to restructure things so it is clear what cost centres fall where. Not sure if they have done this. Also no way you would buy a slice if one business could fail and take the other down or damage it. Of course in the world of billionaires and huge corporations all this goes out of the window if someone wants it enough!

# 33 Max Crashstappen 03 September, 2019 15:25
It was terrible what happened at the Spa circuit on the weekend in the F2 race but I don't think they should change the track, Indy Car oval tracks are more dangerous than the Spa track.

Greg_OR 04 September, 2019 06:43
Quote:
Stuart L
The news section on the Corporate section of the Williams website confirms a stock market announcement the team is in the early stages of looking at selling a stake in Advanced engineering.
This is probably the method by which debt can be managed / budget shortfalls be plugged without the family losing control of the business they really care about ....the F1 business. They canít sell a stake in holdings without the family losing majority control so this is an alternative way of generating cash.

I donít think it will be an easy sake. Many buyers donít like minorityís stakes...and in this case itís complicated by the engineering business using many shared manufacturing facilities owned by F1 team. I wonder if thereís more to this....advanced engineering might have to own all the manufacturing facilities and charge the F1 team to use them. Thatís a disaster in my opinion!

I think this is a sign the business is under capitalised and needing first aid to a degree.

As a newbie here (still and forever winking smiley I would ask you again if there are any symptoms of repair steps, reconstruction or any other activities that would help to overcome current crisis?
I've asked the same over year ago I think, but no answers as I remember and in my opinion something should be done as current model of this business proved not to do well.
Or do you think that there is nothing to change buy only try to make things better (but how).

IanSmithISA 05 September, 2019 08:29
Good morning,

Quote:
Stuart L
.....if thereís more to this....advanced engineering might have to own all the manufacturing facilities and charge the F1 team to use them. Thatís a disaster in my opinion!

At first glance I would agree with you, but....

Given that there is a budget cap coming into force moving all the expensive equipment into a genuine business with real customers and not entirely owned by Williams does open up the possibility of "exceeding" the budget cap.

If WAE can justify spending big on wind tunnels and CFD equipment and research for real customers WGPE could benefit by buying time at a fair market rate, on equipment that is of a higher spec than they could afford.

There is of a course a big risk to WGPE, if WAE were to fail or certain contracts had unintended side effects WGPE could be left without any CFD facilities or wind tunnel.

Or it may be that WAE wants to exploit its electric vehicle platform for its own benefit and become a car maker.

What I don't understand though is how a possible conflict between new WAE share holders wanting to develop WAE as a profitable business and WGPH wanting it as a cash cow to support WGPE.

Bye

Ian

# 33 Max Crashstappen 13 September, 2019 08:59
Its Friday the 13th today (Sm73)

boro1986willliamsf1 13 September, 2019 11:25
Williams extend engine deal with Mercedes till 2025

100% Williams
WILL SUPPORT WILLIAMS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A TEAM

GroveF1 13 September, 2019 15:13
After the last 3 years or so Williams got lucky there , do they know something or hopefully there will be more technical support/ design collaboration for Williams' design department

Current Page: 32 of 33

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net