2020 Canadian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 43 of 45
Re: News and Stuff!
rpaloschi 26 April, 2020 09:14
I dont know... but I still agree it is unfair and simply too expensive.

F1 seems like a @#$%&, does everything to attract tge big spenders while srewing the independent teams over time. Then the big spenders go away as they please, leaving F1 crying for attention behind.

This whole thing is @#$%& up.... just put 10 Ferraris and 10 RBRs and people will call it F1. It is doomed for good.

SydneyF1Fan 26 April, 2020 09:15
This is the first race in the Aussie SuperCars e-series. Much more professional production than the F1 effort, with most drivers participating:

[youtu.be]

Later races on same channel have Max Verstappen as guest driver, showing them how it's done.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

IanSmithISA 27 April, 2020 06:34
Good morning,

Quote:
rpaloschi
I dont know... but I still agree it is unfair and simply too expensive.
F1 seems like a @#$%&, does everything to attract tge big spenders while srewing the independent teams over time. Then the big spenders go away as they please, leaving F1 crying for attention behind.

This whole thing is @#$%& up.... just put 10 Ferraris and 10 RBRs and people will call it F1. It is doomed for good.

F1 needs to be brave and admit the truth, it is irrelevant to road car development it is a show, it can then go on to change the rules to say an F1 car must fit within a box of a certain size and exhaust volumes must be less than.... (I am worried about jet powered cars) and any thing else goes.

Costs would increase yes and possibly F1 would go back to a national team model possibly commercially branded and why is this so bad?

The top independent teams in the 1980s and 1990s forced many other teams out of business because they had more money and the less well funded teams were failing to meet the 107% time limit. 107% of the actively suspended Williams with Renault funded engine development was a pretty tough target.

Wikipedia has a pretty good list of F1 qualifying and is good place to read and say "Oh I forget about them and them and them and........"

Capping the costs makes F1 pointless, it is then not a pinnacle of technology, it is not a cheap formula with many teams winning and it is not a development platform for car makers.

I know F1 engines claim impressive levels of efficiency but a lot of this is down to effective energy recovery that doesn't reflect road car driving. Stamp on the accelerator, stamp on the brakes.

Rep-mobiles spend most of their life cruising at a constant speed and hybridising urban cars to allow energy recovery doesn't recover the extra cost in fuel savings. So the F1 power unit efficiency is a true number but it is also a so what number. :-)

I do think that F1 needs to move on as currently it is too close to Formula E, if Formula E develops as a platform for road car makers then F1 can be different. 5,000 horse power F1 cars would be a blast, massive wings and cars faster than drivers can drive them without blacking out.

Yes, losing a few teams is a price worth paying. :-)

I suspect that if the way to go racing for Williams was to run with Huawei branding and as a Chinese entry then Sir Frank would have gone for it.

Toto Wolff has personally bought a chunk of Aston Martin and as far as I understand it it appears to have been part of the Yew Tree (Stroll) holding. This does make me wonder what would a Toto run Williams have been doing now?

It does seem clear that a Williams backed by Aston Martin in the same way as Racing Point will be could have been possible, it is not yet clear if this is going to be a good thing for Racing Point but there is a definite plan for its future.

Given the complexity and looking at the results over the last few years it is pretty clear how important the power unit is, yet Williams and McLaren say that they are independent teams but they have always used engines and power units developed by someone else. So they are not really independent in the technical sense only in a marketing one.

Time moves on and things change....

Bye

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/04/2020 06:38 by IanSmithISA.

rpaloschi 27 April, 2020 08:01
Fair enough, i cant say that anything in your analysis is wrong. My point is to question if it fits this world (coming from someone that grew up with that mindset as well, loving the same sport/show). Though times or I'm simply getting old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/04/2020 08:01 by rpaloschi.

Stu69 27 April, 2020 13:42
But but but Ian... F1 with only 3 teams that can afford to do it isn’t F1? It has little interest. The budget cap to me sees who is the most innovative or efficient. A budget cap is just the same as allowing only certain types of tyre or so much fuel. IMHO.

To survive F1 really can’t afford to lose any teams. Yes the moaners were once the all conquering, but how will any new team get into F1 if the big 3 have more budget, more influence and a bigger slice of the cake. The numbers these days are eye watering. I would cap the budget at £50mill for 5 years. An extra £20mill if you design an engine, an extra £10mill if you design front and rear wings, an extra £10mill if you design undertray etc. All extras add upto £120mill Max.

That way Haas and the Racing point won’t have as much cash but F, M and R will have the most because they are doing the most.

j-s 30 April, 2020 03:41
Are other sports with truncated, cancelled or postponed seasons talking about team survival?

I don't follow European clubs but it seems that F1 and motorsports are especially vulnerable to this type of crisis. Sources of funding are contracting or disappearing altogether. Contracts are nullified when the product is not delivered. Tough.

Racing is fascinating in that regard. And F1 has certainly left itself fully exposed to the wrath of a pandemic and corresponding economic nosedive. Not that it's avoidable 100%, but had teams actually made some money in the past 10 years then maybe they'd have a cushion or fallback plan. Hindsight is the perfect science, I know. But it's worth a ponder.

Frustrating. Hope Williams makes it. Probably not as we know the team today.

SydneyF1Fan 30 April, 2020 11:14
Are we all excited about the season resumption in Austria on 5 July??

Gathering by the lack of comments, I presume there's some sight scepticism about it happening.

COVID appears to be under control in Austria, which is great. But will they be happy about a few thousand team personnel flooding into the country?

July is a fair way off in lockdown terms, so hopefully the world is a much safer place by then. I'd love to watch some F1 racing, but I have my doubts that all of the politicians and stakeholders will be comfortable enough to let it go ahead.

What do others think?

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

CLOVERLEAF 888 30 April, 2020 16:40
Quote:
SydneyF1Fan
This is the first race in the Aussie SuperCars e-series. Much more professional production than the F1 effort, with most drivers participating:
[youtu.be]

Later races on same channel have Max Verstappen as guest driver, showing them how it's done.

yeah have to agree the production is great, the racing is epic and tbh, it feels like your watching the real thing such is the quality of commentary.. In fact the commentary team who are the same team that do the real thing have taken to it as if they have been doing it all their lifes. Going to Bathurst was great too.... Also we have seen racing on tracks they don't normally compete on like Barcelona, Silverstone and Monza. See Will Power done the Bathurst races and like you said Verstappen was at Silverstone and Barcelona.. Just one thing if you watching... Each round may take place on several tracks. So for example a round may consist of 4races, 2 on one track, 2 on another... So Make sure you check the round and race number..

CLOVERLEAF 888 30 April, 2020 16:45
Quote:
SydneyF1Fan
Are we all excited about the season resumption in Austria on 5 July??
Gathering by the lack of comments, I presume there's some sight scepticism about it happening.

COVID appears to be under control in Austria, which is great. But will they be happy about a few thousand team personnel flooding into the country?

July is a fair way off in lockdown terms, so hopefully the world is a much safer place by then. I'd love to watch some F1 racing, but I have my doubts that all of the politicians and stakeholders will be comfortable enough to let it go ahead.

What do others think?

im surprised they are starting to announce races going ahead when we really don't know for sure what the world situation is or will be.. As much as I love F1, they are looking deseperate to pacify the teams, we will go racing.. Now I know also it takes ages to get a race ready but for me in The UK its too soon to say its the right decision because of our still high death rate here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/04/2020 16:46 by CLOVERLEAF 888.

SydneyF1Fan 30 April, 2020 23:34
Yep, the SuperCar e-racing was so realistic that my wife let out a groan that the bloody motor racing was on again!!

Fortunately Australia has fared very well with COVID-19, with only 91 deaths to date, and most of those from cruise ships or overseas travellers. Restrictions slowly starting to be lifted here, but paranoia that infection may take off as we do. We'll have our borders shut for a long time and don't think anyone would contemplate hosting a GP for the foreseeable future. Organising a local footy match is hard enough, with a lot fewer participants.

Perhaps people are a bit more resigned to the terrible situation in Europe, but F1 plans still sound optimistic to me.

Stu69 02 May, 2020 08:28
[www.bbc.co.uk]

It looks like my friend Ross Braun has followed my advice and is going to do Diet F1 with no added frills!! (I must invoice him!) (no hair stylist for Lewis or makeup artist for Seb!!!)

Perhaps we will be back racing sooner than we thought??

I am still doubtful myself, unlocking down is going to pose issues. I buy medical stuff from China, interesting last week loads of factories shut down for a week on government orders!! This has not been reported by our amazingly well informed press and very strange considering the backlog from earlier in the year and the demand from the West!

CLOVERLEAF 888 03 May, 2020 00:25
Quote:
SydneyF1Fan
Yep, the SuperCar e-racing was so realistic that my wife let out a groan that the bloody motor racing was on again!!.

OMG.. Just watched the first lap of the race in Canada and what carnage... It was Fantastic viewing.
I was laughing but it was brilliant.... Just like the last lap at Bathurst was so tense.. I felt like I was watching a real event...

See Ambrose was back.... One guy I would love to see give it a go... Craig Lowndes… One of my all time favourite drivers....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2020 00:26 by CLOVERLEAF 888.

SydneyF1Fan 03 May, 2020 06:51
You've got to admire F1's tenacity. If they can organise a spectator-free race in a bio-security bubble in Austria, then good on them - I look forward to watching it.

I still have my doubts it will come off, but perhaps the track and airport location allows them to go through with it.

Hosting races in other countries like Spain sounds fanciful at this stage, though. And a representative F1 season, even more so.

Stu69 03 May, 2020 14:20
I have cracked it!! Hold the whole season up and down and around the roundabouts of the A43 near Brackley, Grove and Silverstone. No air ports, no spectators, the cameras are already in place!! Perfect!!

GroveF1 03 May, 2020 17:11
I can’t see it happening either given the amount of personnel involved per team plus tv crew etc. The top brass would at the end of the day want it to go ahead to get it broadcasted out to show they are open for business.

Remember 2 McLaren personnel were quarantined in Australia- sane thing can happen and all it takes is the virus to spread.

There’s already stories the Liverpool v Madrid game caused cases and deaths so personally they’d be stupid to play chicken with peoples’ lives.

SydneyF1Fan 03 May, 2020 21:22
The Aussie NRL desperate to get footy happening and are scheduled to start closed door matches on 28 May.

They received special dispensation to fly the Auckland Warriors team into Australia, converting country-town Tamworth airport into an international airport for the day while they flew the team in on a chartered plane small enough to land on the runway. One player has to stay in NZ at the last minute, complaining of a 'scrstchy throat'.

The teams will train and play in a 'bubble' for the season.

In the last few weeks several players have been fined for partying on and breaking social distancing rules.

Given we have low numbers of infections here, the season may well start, but it's going to be interesting to see how long it lasts before the first players get sick or in trouble.

j-s 05 May, 2020 05:20
I'm intrigued as to how the season could resume. Red Bull throwing its weight to see its circuit and teams in action. A PR win at this point. They can go on and on about the draconian measures they will set up. I'll believe it when teams fire up their cars in pit lane.

It's a vexing problem, this one. All eyes will be on the first sports league that resumes in closed- or even open-door events... It'll happen in the next couple of months, surely. I'm happy for that. I think.

But even then, an F1 event is basically a whole sports league storming into town... with all their stuff in tow and from all over the planet for a 4-day event. It's not the neighboring city sending their players and coaches for a single match, or the local sportscar series sending their gear to the track a few miles away. Obvious but worth emphasizing.

If F1 does resume successfully then other sports will have no excuse (business wise). But if other sports resume, F1 may still find itself blocked or unable to do so. It's just too intrusive. Of all sports I can think of, F1 may be least suited for this new reality.

But F1 can move quickly if it wants to, and if it needs to, so let's see how it all plays out.

Stu69 06 May, 2020 22:37
Persomally I am seriously worried about lifting social lockdown and getting back to normal! Not that I like it! My worry is that things start to spike again. A future tightening would be terrible. But I think we all need some sport to watch. F1 being back in what ever form would be great. Up lifting! Even Ian Bye would like it! :-)

Weird old year.

Bye Eddie Jordan says Merc will sell the team! Hmm! They just might.

IanSmithISA 08 May, 2020 04:43
Good morning,

Quote:
Stu69
Persomally I am seriously worried about lifting social lockdown .....

Why are you worried? :-)

Recently the UK government announced that around about 6.3 million people had had their salaries paid under the furloughed employees scheme. This is around about 23% of the employed work force, rather than self employed etc.

This means that 77% of the employed work force are still working.

It could be even more as those on furlough are legally allowed to work for another employer and the supermarkets for example went on a recruitment binge.

if you are a bit cynical then you might suggest that some on furlough were still working for their current employer, although this is probably a small number I have heard questions on all sorts of programs by people asking what to do as they are in this situation.

It is certainly true that many of this 77% (22 million) are working from home, but how many? I can't find any official stats.

Out of that 77% many can't work from home as they need physical contact with parts of their job (they make or mend things, including people :-] ), need access to computer systems remotely which they don't have or need resources that only the company's premises can provide.

So even if you went nutty and said 30% which is a stat of how many have ever worked from home across all industries that would still leave 54% or 12 million people going to work.

It is hard for me to relate to the argument that with 12 million people going to work it would be a disaster if the rest went back.

The news often seems to suggest that at the moment everybody is at home and not in any form of close contact which seems to be at odds with the above numbers.

I just can't reconcile the stats published on COVID-19s with the number of people working and interacting and people not working and interacting with the level of risk that many people perceive.

I do understand the caution in holding mass participation events, such as 250,000 people at Silverstone over three days when people are from all over the country but that is different from normal interactions.

Quote:
Stu69
Eddie Jordan says Merc will sell the team! Hmm! They just might.
Is this the Eddie Jordan that got told off by Toto on TV in 2017 for the Petronas will stop sponsoring Merc story?

Eddie used to say so much that sometimes he has to be right. :-)

I wouldn't be that surprised to see Renault go soon as they are not having much success, but F1 involvement may still make sense on the power unit side, especially if the road car future is petrol/electric hybrid.

Red Bull/Honda may not be worth expense for Honda and maybe they need to own the whole branding, so Honda will buy Williams and run as Honda/Honda. :-)

I do get Eddie's point that there is very little upside for Merc in F1 and the budget cap, F1 has proposed a cap of $145m (£116m) for 2021, will surely require that Mercedes have to lose so many staff that they can't guarantee success anymore.

Bye

Ian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 04:52 by IanSmithISA.

Stu69 08 May, 2020 18:46
Hi bye Ian!
Did you go to the Piers Morgan school of journalism?? Take 3 words and spin them into a story!

My worry is people dying by the 1000 per day again. You were quite happy not long ago to let everyone die I believe! Sacrifice the old and in-firmed as “casualties of war”! A young baby died yesterday!

We all want to get back to normal but the unlock down must be very progressive and controlled. Unfortunately I am not so sure that the UK govt or certain aspects of the UK people are up for that. The Spanish flu graphs are very scary in terms of death. We need to avoid IMO.

We need very controlled un locking down. Unfortunately pubs and gyms will be at the later stages I fear. Mass gathering events probably dead for a while get.

It ain’t over yet by a long stretch unless they come up with a largely untested vaccine! I won’t be injecting one of those anytime soon and watching my cock drop off!! 😂

Adios Stu

Current Page: 43 of 45

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net