2020 Canadian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 44 of 45
Re: News and Stuff!
SydneyF1Fan 09 May, 2020 06:10
Ha - agree with you Stu (hopefully they'll sort out those vaccine side effects first, though!)

I could happily continue working from home. I've probably been more productive and busy since doing so, but appreciate not every job is like that.

It's controlling the deaths and balancing that with economic growth that's the challenge, especially when high mortality is primarily in the over 65's. Having lost an aunty to COVID last week (she'd been in lock-down for 2 months, so prob caught from carer) the personal responsibility, community consequences and true cost to society of this devastating virus sink home.

You can be callous and say it's more important to fire up the economy than protect the lives of the elderly, who are a net drain on the economy anyway.

However, is it morally correct to sacrifice the generation that have helped build the economy into the powerhouse that it is, after their much bigger sacrifices through 6 years of World War 2 and after only two months of us lounging around watching Netflix?

What value do you put on their lives?

And is this how you would like to be treated when you reach their age?

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

speed 11 May, 2020 03:15
Quote:
SydneyF1Fan
However, is it morally correct to sacrifice the generation that have helped build the economy into the powerhouse that it is, after their much bigger sacrifices through 6 years of World War 2 and after only two months of us lounging around watching Netflix?

What value do you put on their lives?

Anyone who fought in the war should be well above 90 today. I am guessing not many of them are around.

Quote:
SydneyF1Fan
And is this how you would like to be treated when you reach their age?

yes - if keeping me alive comes at the cost of my kids livelihood, then yes. After 75+ I would gladly be a part of such a disease & go quickly - rather than suffer every pain in the body to live till 90.

Stu69 11 May, 2020 21:34
I want to live until at least 90! Then I can be a proper Victor Meldrew!!!

SydneyF1Fan 12 May, 2020 08:14
I didn't say "fought" in the war, speed. Many children made economic and personal sacrifices over 6 years in the war and helped build the economy post war into the powerhouse it is today.

Many people appear to be happy to sacrifice their lives for a few months of their own economic hardship, which pales in comparison.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

SydneyF1Fan 12 May, 2020 08:16
Vettel gone!

So who will get his Ferrari seat? Danny Ric or Sainz?

[www.formula1.com]

Marco Cardoso 12 May, 2020 11:04
It may even be Hamilton

https://goo.gl/images/VESYsm

GroveF1 12 May, 2020 11:35
I think given Mercedes dominance it will be very risky at this stage of Hamilton’s career to go to Ferrari if he intends to beat Schumachers record. As a Brit and also Hamilton fan hope he stays at Mercedes

SydneyF1Fan 12 May, 2020 12:32
I don't think Hamilton will go to Ferrari either. Don't think Ferrari would pay his asking price when they have Charles (seems they knocked Seb's pay down).

I think Lewis would like to beat Schumi's WDC record at Merc and he's previously stated that he doesn't have a career urge to drive for Ferrari, which appears genuine.

However, I hope Lewis does move to Ferrari and Danny Ric gets his Merc drive!

Seb's move is probably a first sign of the financial strain on F1, as I'm sure cost was a big factor in Ferrari's decision. They have Charles who is outracing Seb and probably paid a lot less. If Ferrari was flush with cash, I'm sure they would be prepared to keep both drivers on. However, times are tough and I'm sure Ferrari took a long hard look at their budget for next year and concluded it wasn't worth the continued investment in Seb with the funds available.

Equally, whoever moves to the spare Ferrari seat probably isn't going to get the salary they want, which will likely cascade through salary demands down the grid.

dot_com 12 May, 2020 14:08
Hoping and praying that he decides to “do a Kimi”, and go to a smaller team where he doesn’t have the same intense media pressure and scrutiny, and can just enjoy his driving. Yes, I mean Williams. Obviously I know this won’t happen, but what an amazing story that would be. I imagine that McLaren want him pretty badly - this is the first driver line-up they’ve had in a LONG time that doesn’t include a current or former world champion.

GroveF1 12 May, 2020 15:24
To an extent I agree with Sydney F1, I think, as has been rumoured, that the breakdown in talks with several is status.

Charles as you could see in some races is trying to assert his authority over Seb and I think his new contract has a number 1 requirement in it - basically forcing seb out upon contract renewal

The Terminator 12 May, 2020 21:08
Perhaps they will give the drive to younger brother Arthur. Hopefully this is the start of a new era for F1 and sport in general, the money some of these "super stars" rake in is obscene and now the pay to view TV companies are losing millions of income , money might be a little tighter in the short term.

F1 needs to be broadcast more frequently on free to view tv and it needs to be more exciting, weirdly the virtual races on a Sunday evening show what could be possible. Watching George Russell go past Le Clerc towards the end of the Spanish GP on Sunday in his Williams was fun and yet it was sad at the same time, because I will probably never see a Williams overtake a Ferrari to win any GP in the real world again.

Sport needs to be revalued, here in England football is dying a death in the lower leagues, yet the big clubs demand more and more money to pay multi million pound contracts for their players.
Don't even get me started on the money golfers get for walking around the best courses in the world and they don't even have to carry their clubs.

My hope is that when the world can finally get back to normal, the public will value the real heroes in this world and they will lose the appetite to pay more and more money to watch uncompetitive and unfair sports for inflated prices on tv, however I am not holding my breath.

rpaloschi 13 May, 2020 09:11
Yeah... I wish I could hope the same. We'll simply get back to business as usual, unfortunately

GroveF1 13 May, 2020 18:51

The Terminator 14 May, 2020 08:43
Just seen a story on tv that suggests Merc will try to pair Vettel with Hamilton......Why? It would be suicide for Vettel, Hamilton would destroy him.

CLOVERLEAF 888 14 May, 2020 17:05
Quote:
The Terminator
Just seen a story on tv that suggests Merc will try to pair Vettel with Hamilton......Why? It would be suicide for Vettel, Hamilton would destroy him.

Interesting though Cant see why Mercedes would go down that route as they don't need Vettel , but they do need to look to the future.. I think we are more likely to see George announced at Mercedes next year tbh… Think Renault are the only people who could afford Vettel next year unless Kimi retires and the Fiat group want Vettel to lead Alfa Romeo

The Terminator 14 May, 2020 20:21
I tend to agree that Russell would be the best choice for Merc, they need to be looking to the future and ready to take the fight to Leclerc in the Ferrari.
I guess it's the German connection that gets Vettel's name mentioned as a Merc driver, I hope for his sake that he choses to retire, these young drivers are seriously good and are not afraid of reputations.

Ozzy Osbone 15 May, 2020 17:31
Interesting thread. I've watched the virtual Formula E and Indy stuff and the virtual F1 is utterly@#$%&in comparison. How is that? No replays, cars disappearing and jumping all over the place. Pinnacle of motorsport? Nah.

Stu69 15 May, 2020 19:38
The British Grand Prix is on this year....Twice!!
[www.bbc.co.uk]
But will it happen?
Blow your horn Once for Yes and a Twice for No!

Stu69 15 May, 2020 19:38
Peep Peep!!

j-s 15 May, 2020 19:55
Hamilton doesn't seem to be as obsessed with the Ferrari myth as some other drivers. Who knows. He looks like a proud guy, jordanesque in that regard perhaps, and holding a grudge against Ferrari because he's never been approached by them could well be what lights his competitive fire. Among other things, no doubt. But still.

Sainz in Ferrari makes sense. Rooting for him.

Ricciardo in McLaren seems weird. Not the clinically boring robot that I associate with that team. Ron's shadow still looms large in my mind.

Current Page: 44 of 45

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net