2020 Portugese Grand Prix Rd 12. Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 57 of 64
Re: News and Stuff!
Ozzy Osbone 27 September, 2020 15:54
Damn, would have liked to see PER in our car. We really do need a top line veteran in there. I can see Alfa putting Illot and Schu junior in there so maybe Kimi will be free? He's clearly still got it and might be tempted if we can make a copy Merc like RP.

CLOVERLEAF 888 27 September, 2020 16:39
The thing though with buying merc parts is will merc supply us? Have they got capacity as they add mclaren back to their fold. Would Aston Martin have a say to block that too.

Maybe we need to try something different. Should we instead align with Alpine.? They won't be supplying anybody else.

Ozzy Osbone 27 September, 2020 17:03
True, that Renault looks handy and they might appreciate a paying customer.

Stu69 27 September, 2020 18:29
Ok the Renault idea is interesting. In an era of budget limits could we “pool” resources. They do the back end and we throw the whole budget at the front end the share the result. Just a thought.

Ozzy Osbone 27 September, 2020 18:50
We could also brand the engine as Renault so they get both brands out there although I think part of the Alpine thing is probably as they want Renault and Nissan to mean 'electric' so maybe not.

Maybe a Williams / Renault FE team?

Gunk 27 September, 2020 20:23
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
We could also brand the engine as Renault so they get both brands out there although I think part of the Alpine thing is probably as they want Renault and Nissan to mean 'electric' so maybe not.

Starting to wonder about the electric business. The oil price crash is making the environment more of an issue . . . but people worry about money first. Anyone on oil heating has seen bills plummet. And gas central heating is under a cloud . . . the Americans want to freeze Russia out of Europe. Will there be enough electric to power transportation 100% as well? Hybrids may be around for longer than first thought . . . also keeping F1 relevant for longer than anticipated.

Ozzy Osbone 27 September, 2020 20:51
The rate of 'renewable' installation is increasing hugely so I don't think supply will be an issue long term. Plus it's far cheaper to generate with than burning things.

Granted, there is a battery supply issue at the moment and EV's are still too expensive for most. That said, my brother has rented a Zoe for around £300 a month including insurance and all bills and he reckons he's saving around 2 grand a year by using smart charging technology and the right tarrif.

For me at the moment I just don't drive enough so I'll stick with the 3.2l Merc V6 and the old Hilux.

dot_com 30 September, 2020 16:26
Interesting piece on RaceFans - seems like Dorilton have no intention to follow the B-Team route.

[www.racefans.net]

Ozzy Osbone 30 September, 2020 18:26
Sounds good with some good people there. I can start to see the attraction of a Williams Renault F1 team again should Renault still want their name in F1. I don't think there is a lot wrong with that engine now.

I think with RP and Mclaren going Merc, we are going to be seriously 3rd in line.

Matt Brown 01 October, 2020 02:16
It's interesting McLaren are changing from Renault engines to Merc engines because I think the Renault engine is close to being as good as the Merc engine now.

Will McLaren gain anything in speed changing from the Renault engine to the Merc engine?

I'm not so sure the Merc engine is much better than the Renault engine now, the Renault engine seems to have improved out of sight.

CLOVERLEAF 888 01 October, 2020 11:19
I agree which is why if we went down the route of buying more parts, I think maybe going with Alpine is better rather than being low down the pecking order with Mercedes bosses. Might even give us a chance of an advantage if they find something. Feel maybe Mercedes are only interested as long as we pay for engines and not really interested otherwise. In fact when our engine deal runs out, we might even get stuffed by Mercedes and told No. Especially since they have McLaren now.

Matt Brown 01 October, 2020 12:44
So is the Merc engine still better than the Renault engine or is the Renault engine now on par with the Merc engine, I would be very interested to know the answer to this???

M79 01 October, 2020 18:16
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone

I don’t get why we would drop the best engine in the field for the 2nd or 3rd best engine while likely still remaining just a customer. Changing out what is by far the best part of our race car does not make sense to me.

CLOVERLEAF 888 01 October, 2020 20:21
yeah but that's the thing... Are Mercedes really interested in our business now that they have McLaren? Might be the best engine but puts us back to square one if they wont sell us the back end. Or we can buy parts but parts that's are several steps behind the others... Then what's the point. Lets be honest Mercedes are trying to control Formula one by their tactics already and I just feel staying with them, they will do us in... Stroll could see what they were doing years ago which is why hes got into bed with them.

Ozzy Osbone 01 October, 2020 23:44
Agree with Cloverleaf.

You have to be the best boy.

Renault may be a way back in. The car and engine looks OK. The Mclaren has looked handy. Not a dud engine any more. Let's be 1st in line rather than 4th in line. It's not a mad idea. WHat engine did we have when we last dominate F1?

Goxxy 02 October, 2020 06:59
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
WHat engine did we have when we last dominate F1?
And when we've last won a race too, 2012.
Still wearing that Williams Renault shirt, would love for it to happen once again. If McL can do it with Mercedes once more, why couldn't we do it for the third time winking smiley

Mehryar 02 October, 2020 08:16
Honda to quit F1 at the end of 2021.

Things don't look bright for F1 without any new manufactures on horizon.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Goxxy 02 October, 2020 08:36
Now, with the obligation of Renault to supply both Red Bull and Alpha Tauri in 2022 if these two teams can't convince Mercedes or Ferrari to supply them - future of Williams Renault doesn't look too bright now...

Matt Brown 02 October, 2020 09:14
Quote:
Mehryar
Honda to quit F1 at the end of 2021.
Things don't look bright for F1 without any new manufactures on horizon.

That is pretty crazy just when the Honda engine has come good they are leaving F1.

Matt Brown 02 October, 2020 09:23
Honda leaving F1??? Where does that leave Red Bull??? Because I don't think Mercedes or Ferrari will supply Red Bull with their engines and didn't Red Bull have a very very bitter bust up with Renault???

Red Bull could be left with no engines for their cars in 2022.

Sucked in Red Bull and sucked in Verstappen.

LMAO @ Red Bull.....,Sucked in!!!

Current Page: 57 of 64

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net