2020 Australian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 44 of 51
Re: The all New FW42
tomazy 01 August, 2019 17:49
There was not to much comparison done in Germany becouse the updates were damaged, so they probably need more. By the way, here is what Hamilton is saying abouth there updates, tho some updates work out of the box (RP/exFI) others need time.

Quote:
Hamilton
Upgrades rarely work straight away, they always need a bit of tweaking - the last aero package requires us to tune the car a little differently It takes us more kilometers to optimize that.

boro1986willliamsf1 01 August, 2019 19:02
Quote:
tomazy
There was not to much comparison done in Germany becouse the updates were damaged, so they probably need more. By the way, here is what Hamilton is saying abouth there updates, tho some updates work out of the box (RP/exFI) others need time.
Quote:
Hamilton
Upgrades rarely work straight away, they always need a bit of tweaking - the last aero package requires us to tune the car a little differently It takes us more kilometers to optimize that.
It's what I've being saying but people on here think everything should work out of the box and hit the ground running

100% Williams
WILL SUPPORT WILLIAMS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A TEAM

ihme 01 August, 2019 19:31
Russell tells #AMuS that the updates in Hockenheim were not conclusive. "It did not feel as good as expected. The downforce is measurable, but it did not get on the road."

Russell: "We had the wrong setup and we did not put the tires in their windows. It has overshadowed everything."

shriekback 01 August, 2019 22:20
Quote:
ihme
RK with the old spec, GR with the new one. I think we still dont know much about this update
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EA5mzx3XsAA6z-n?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EA5mzxwXkAAbfbv?format=jpg&name=small

Thanks for posting these, ihme.

I'm no kind of expert in aerodynamics, but the revisions at the front of the barge boards on George's car look really substantial to my untrained eye. Let's hope they get the set-up right in Hungary so that they can do some of the necessary tweaking Hamilton speaks of and realize some actual improvements in performance.

Greg_OR 01 August, 2019 22:55
Quote:
boro1986willliamsf1
Quote:
Hamilton
It's what I've being saying but people on here think everything should work out of the box and hit the ground running
C'mon - don't compare to Mercedes, they are looking for tenths and we are looking for seconds - it is different situation by a factor. If our upgrades are not 0.5s out of the box than I dont expect a full second after tuning, do you?
I would seek positives (if any) in specific areas - maybe upgrades are good for high down-force (we will see soon) or maybe they are drag effective - we will see at Monza.

shriekback 01 August, 2019 23:17
Quote:
tomazy
https://imgr3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Williams-GP-Ungarn-Budapest-Formel-1-Donnerstag-1-08-2019-articleGalleryOverlay-2aa07db8-1616099.jpg

I just noticed this one. I am guessing that the silver brackets are some kind of fix for the fragile floor. I hope it works, but it is not what I would have expected or would think ideal. If the contours they sit astride are meant to work with air passing over the car, wouldn't their placement there threaten to foul that up? I guess compromised is better than broken, but...

Damon96 02 August, 2019 09:25
Quote:
shriekback
Quote:
tomazy
https://imgr3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Williams-GP-Ungarn-Budapest-Formel-1-Donnerstag-1-08-2019-articleGalleryOverlay-2aa07db8-1616099.jpg

I just noticed this one. I am guessing that the silver brackets are some kind of fix for the fragile floor. I hope it works, but it is not what I would have expected or would think ideal. If the contours they sit astride are meant to work with air passing over the car, wouldn't their placement there threaten to foul that up? I guess compromised is better than broken, but...

Yeah if you follow the channel it angles in at the back near the rear wheel, so you assume it’s channeling airflow that way but now has random brackets bolt on in the middle of the channel. Unless it’s predominantly for underfloor airflow control and doesn’t make too much difference.

Racing point floor seems to have some support in the channels but looks to be built into the structure rather than bolted on....

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iiWKsveUlxo/XTuM72Kn-tI/AAAAAAAAfN4/mBnL92Dls1cOrIuKAnQdHHLYpc4gqV1PgCLcBGAs/s1600/Racing-Point-Formel-1-GP-Deutschland-Hockenheim-25-Juli-2019-articleGalleryOverlay-e9667ddc-1614098.jpg

tomazy 02 August, 2019 10:59
Quote:
shriekback
Quote:
tomazy

Those are not the fix of the problem from germany, becouse they were there from the beginning. This are just supports for the outside edge of the floor. This new Williams floor has countinious slots running from the front to the back, no other car has that. Also those supports act as a air guide, similar to what other cars have.

Edit: nice picture from behind

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/racefansdotnet-20190802-103224-17.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2019 08:37 by tomazy.

phatjack 02 August, 2019 23:40
We call those patches in my industry, in others a band aid solution. On this forum they call them updates! (Sm111)

Andrew Hooper 03 August, 2019 06:23
I work in IT so everything is an update. [:wor kid:]

boro1986willliamsf1 03 August, 2019 13:27
Well it is clear these updates are starting to work slowly but surely 👍👍👍

100% Williams
WILL SUPPORT WILLIAMS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A TEAM

Greg_OR 03 August, 2019 15:49
qualifications situation after Hungary,
very good George lap, and second best result as PP %
seems some other teams got in trouble so there is best result as Q2 % - almost done smiling smiley
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/466b2d863964639b7959fe69363b4e06c6716ff8363c31eee33f11b0e2b38fad.png?w=800&h=533

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2019 15:50 by Greg_OR.

an.jo 03 August, 2019 17:52
Quote:
tomazy
Quote:
shriekback
Quote:
tomazy

Those are not the fix of the problem from germany, becouse they were there from the beginning. This are just supports for the outside edge of the floor. This new Williams floor has countinious slots running from the front to the back, no other car has that. Also those supports act as a air guide, similar to what other cars have.

That's consistent with Craig Scarborough's analysis of the Williams Germany updates:

Quote:
While the floor underneath features detail changes to increase the expansion of airflow into the diffuser, the floor’s long exposed edges, are obviously different. As teams seek to keep the front tyre wake away from the central bodywork, any means to help push this airflow outwards and keep a cleaner/stronger airflow passing over the car, is useful. In recent years, as well as the boom in bargeboard development, the floor edge has become a useful tool as well. As pressure builds up on top of the floor and tends to flow sideways. Teams exploit this and create long slots with aerofoil cross sections along the floor edge. These slots create a strong vortex moving outwards and join with the front wing and bargeboards in pushing the front tyre wake away. Williams have therefore gone even further with their new floor and created longer slots, with metal supports that also help in directing airflow outboard.

Link

Francesc 04 August, 2019 09:00
According to Amus if I'm not mistaken Williams dreamt of a 8 tenths improvement with the updates but they have found 25 points of downforce. Do you know how much laptime is that?

[www.auto-motor-und-sport.de]

tomazy 04 August, 2019 11:34
Points of downforce is a wariable unit I think and nobady really know excetly what it means, more interesting bit of info in that article is that they gaind 10% of DF, witch is alot.

Damon96 04 August, 2019 11:50
What I’d love to know but we’ll not probably find out is has the car delivered what they expected so far in performance improvements and if so, where do they think they eventually get to with everything planned. Regardless of what happens in the race this has to give them a good feeling going into the summer break and hopefully this gives them confidence when they say the FW42 is a solid foundation to work on. 2020 will be stuffed if they had to start a completely new car concept from now.

GPL 04 August, 2019 14:21
Looks like we need another 25 points 10% to get into the mix??.

andy si 04 August, 2019 17:57
Quote:
GPL

Some of it may still be hidden in the setup and understanding of the current package with updates included.

j-s 05 August, 2019 22:37
Quote:
andy si
Quote:
GPL

Some of it may still be hidden in the setup and understanding of the current package with updates included.

I just hope they can coax some real speed from the FW42. A terrible car should be improve-able, sure... but it must have a lower ceiling. A terrible car can improve to a bad car... but can a terrible car improve to an average one? We'll find out.

andy si 06 August, 2019 18:04
Quote:
j-s
Quote:
andy si
Quote:
GPL

I just hope they can coax some real speed from the FW42. A terrible car should be improve-able, sure... but it must have a lower ceiling. A terrible car can improve to a bad car... but can a terrible car improve to an average one? We'll find out.

We certainly will see... how good of a base this car is.
Is it possible to understand it as the team told they now have?!
Is it possible to use the factory tools including the team's renowned wind tunnel?! Renowned for it's correlation problems through the years.

We just don't know how good of a base this concept is... recent steps show potential. Understanding it and developing it is another thing all together.

Current Page: 44 of 51

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net