2019 Mexican Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 48 of 51
Re: The all New FW42
tedsouf 20 September, 2019 09:36
What new parts? I believe that those new development items where allready on the car since Hungary or the race before? And they performed massively considering that we got unstucked from last place on merit. The delta on performance was too great to expect anything more than that to come just from updates and not from a new car alltogether IMO.

The development route for the whole season should be on enhancing and correlating tools rather than aero parts.

Cheers

GPL 20 September, 2019 10:05
This is the next upgrade from the Hungary one we are talking about.
do not get confused. 2nd big upgrade.

tedsouf 20 September, 2019 10:21
I think that the first significant update was in Silverstone (F1.com) and the next, bigger one was in Hockenheim. Is another big update planned?

GPL 20 September, 2019 10:28
yes any time now, it should be

SydneyF1Fan 21 September, 2019 09:07
Just listened to the "Beyond the Grid" F1 podcast with Pastor.

He had a lot of time for Frank, Claire and the Williams family, but was not at all complimentary about the rotten culture within the team ranks, claiming many of the workers just treat it as a 9-5 job, had never even been to a race and had no commitment to the team's historic winning passion.

I'm sure the same could be said about many employees in other F1 teams these days, given their large size and commerical nature and I have no idea how well connected Pastor currently is to the team and how much is sour grapes on his part, but it didn't sound good!

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

IanSmithISA 21 September, 2019 10:32
Good morning,

Quote:
SydneyF1Fan
.....He had a lot of time for Frank, Claire and the Williams family, but was not at all complimentary about the rotten culture within the team ranks, claiming many of the workers just treat it as a 9-5 job, had never even been to a race and had no commitment to the team's historic winning passion.........

In most companies the most senior person sets the tone and in the Williams Group that person is Mike O'Driscol, yet he rarely gets a mention here.

If you look at the directors of WGPH their shareholdings are
Director, 2018,2017
M Biddle ,,
B Hollinger,1,784,963, 2,073,630
D Lafferty ,,
M O'Driscoll, 26,500,
N Rose, 4,208, 4,208
C Williams,,

You see that the two most senior managers have no real shareholding.

Note that Sir Frank is not a director of WGPH, but is a person with significant control
Nature of control
Ownership of shares – More than 50% but less than 75%
Ownership of voting rights - More than 50% but less than 75%
Right to appoint and remove directors

If you then look at the profiles of Mike O'Driscoll and CFO Doug Lafferty

DOUG LAFFERTY
CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
Doug graduated from Royal Holloway, University of London with a BSc in Management Studies prior to starting his career as a Graduate Trainee at British American Tobacco (BAT) in 2001. He qualified as a Chartered Management Accountant in 2003 before holding a variety of Finance Director and General Management positions whilst on international assignments with BAT to Greece, Romania, Serbia and Canada. After returning to the UK in 2013 Doug became the first Finance Director of BAT's Next Generation Products business and in 2015 became Group Head of Commercial Finance, working closely with the group’s Marketing and Operations leadership teams. Doug’s final role at BAT was as Regional Head of Finance for the Americas before being appointed to the Board of Williams, in the capacity of CFO, in September 2017.

MIKE O’DRISCOLL
GROUP CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
Mike O’Driscoll started his career in the UK with Jaguar Rover Triumph as a business student. He obtained an MBA from the University of Warwick, and held various positions in Finance, Product Development and Marketing, prior to his move to the USA with Jaguar Cars in 1987, as a marketing and sales executive. Starting in 1995, Mike held a number of senior management positions with Jaguar’s parent, Ford Motor Company, prior to his appointment as President of Jaguar Cars North America in 2000. The following year he became President of Aston Martin, Jaguar Land Rover’s North American subsidiary. In 2007 he was appointed Managing Director of Jaguar Cars global operations, until he retired in March 2011. Mike was appointed to the Board in September 2011 as a Non-Executive Director and to his current role as Group Chief Executive Officer in May 2013.

Would you expect people with this type of background to inspire the culture that may be needed to succeed in F1 and Pastor was suggesting was missing?

If you look at these profiles and reconcile them with my often repeated belief that WAE has as high or higher priority that WGPE then you would expect a 9-5 culture in many areas.

On one of the Employer review sites has some great and not so great comments on McLaren Applied Technologies.

[www.glassdoor.co.uk]
"Applied Technologies is Where Engineering Talent Comes to Die"

There are also reviews of WAE [www.glassdoor.co.uk]

Bye

Ian

SydneyF1Fan 21 September, 2019 11:24
Agree that culture is driven from the top, Ian.

However, great leaders don't need to be shareholders or driven by large monetary reward.

Conveying a great vision and instilling a can-do attitude can go a long way.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Greg_OR 22 September, 2019 22:43
Qualy situation update

https://a.disquscdn.com/get?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fspreadsheets%2Fd%2Fe%2F2PACX-1vQXsFPqjCxnxAX8CcP6N_J4zTBLl4WyaLhPtmOYAvXLHl2kIM17UduVUlQtWW8qyJfPdYuO5V0vPXj4%2Fpubchart%3Foid%3D1634869457%26format%3Dimage&key=-OjHoBranEVKB7Xm9EwguA&w=800&h

Greg_OR 22 September, 2019 22:59
In Polish version of motorsport (couldn't find English or international but Edd Straw is listed as co-author), there is Dave Robson's interview about Kubica, some interesting things about steering wheel
[my free translation]
motorsport.com: Why it took so long to make a wheel for him?
Dave Robson: When the car is so slow and was slow at the beginning of a season its hard to justify an upgrade useful only for one driver
I should not comment on this, but what is happening there - I cant imagine, putting 2-3 buttons and adding 1 paddle to the left side of steering wheel took 10 month because team worked on speed (600+ persons team)!
[pl.motorsport.com]

Gunk 23 September, 2019 01:13
Quote:
Greg_OR
In Polish version of motorsport (couldn't find English or international but Edd Straw is listed as co-author), there is Dave Robson's interview about Kubica, some interesting things about steering wheel
[my free translation]
motorsport.com: Why it took so long to make a wheel for him?
Dave Robson: When the car is so slow and was slow at the beginning of a season its hard to justify an upgrade useful only for one driver
I should not comment on this, but what is happening there - I cant imagine, putting 2-3 buttons and adding 1 paddle to the left side of steering wheel took 10 month because team worked on speed (600+ persons team)!

There's a similar story about Sirotkin never getting a proper seat. SFW is a notorious tightwad. If you work at Williams in a bad year, expect to use a tea bag at least three times.
[pl.motorsport.com]

Greg_OR 23 September, 2019 08:32
Quote:
Gunk
There's a similar story about Sirotkin never getting a proper seat. SFW is a notorious tightwad. If you work at Williams in a bad year, expect to use a tea bag at least three times.
And nothing wrong with it, I can understand that every penny and every labor hour at factory is precious, and that there are some priorities, but it is another example of how drivers are treated at Williams (unless they are a young, promising and charming Britons winking smiley).

Myvatn 23 September, 2019 13:23
Quote:
Greg_OR
Quote:
Gunk
And nothing wrong with it, I can understand that every penny and every labor hour at factory is precious, and that there are some priorities, but it is another example of how drivers are treated at Williams (unless they are a young, promising and charming Britons winking smiley).
Yes, like Jenson Button tongue sticking out smiley

I mean, that was disappointing. But considering the situation Williams was (is?) in (car delivered late and massively slower) I think there were other priorities indeed...

Mikef1 23 September, 2019 13:26
Quote:
Greg_OR
Quote:
Gunk

I think if George had these issues it would be the other way around. Let's not pretend this is some kind if driver favouritism because Stroll and William's relationship was toxic compared to Sirotkins relationship to the team. We dont actually know how good or bad Kubicas relationship with the team is or how awfully he is allegedly being treated.

If any of this nonsense about unequal cars and favourable treatment was true Orlen wouldn't be paying up, I guarantee that.

But it does suck that the team is in such a bad position it cant handle these requests. It is @#$%& that Kubica hasn't had a suitable steering wheel.

Greg_OR 23 September, 2019 15:55
Quote:
Mikef1
[...]
If any of this nonsense about unequal cars and favourable treatment was true Orlen wouldn't be paying up, I guarantee that.
Sure but then you have to prove it in court and prove it was on purpose - very tough or impossible - unless you have witness from top management on your side. It would take month or years (in Polish court - decades grinning smiley) and would cost both sides reputation. Orlen knew what is going inside, and in general they are prety happy with F1 presence and marketing campaign with Robert.
Quote:
Mikef1
But it does suck that the team is in such a bad position it cant handle these requests. It is @#$%& that Kubica hasn't had a suitable steering wheel.
Yes, we've seen this 'new' wheel - 4 buttons blinded on right, some new on left, and a paddle - how it compares to floor, front wing or some internals - if team cant tune (as it is not making one from scratch) steering wheel fot that long, how can I trust they can manage everything else? Simply I can't, and in such bad situation there is no better choice to make one car as good as you can and second as good as you can afford with remaining resources - simple as that.
There was some light in tunnel as Robert was satisfied with car balance for few recent GP but it was also often that car behaviour was inconsistent and prone to overreact on introduced setup changes - unlike the other side of garage. I hope things will not go worse and the car will be developed continously as it is also work for next season.

Myvatn 23 September, 2019 17:13
“Unlike the other side of the garage” - how do you know that Russell is not having the same problems, but he simply is able to better counterbalance these issues? The fact that he’s not complaining does not automatically imply that he’s not having the same issues - maybe just that he can overcome them.

Greg_OR 23 September, 2019 17:35
I don't follow George that much, but Cezary Gutowski, journalist whom I trust, goes to the media meetings with George (he has very good opinion about RUS as driver and intelligent young person) and he never reported that Russell overcome any such problems. Maybe George is too shy to tell us how good he is at dealing with inconsistent car winking smiley

Myvatn 24 September, 2019 08:41
Or maybe he just does not suffer the car's changing behavior as much as Kubica does.

Kubica has also been struggling with tires all year - the first stint of Singapore race being a good example. Russell has not. I don't see that as proof that cars are different, it is more likely that each driver has his own driving style and probably Kubica couldn't adapt his to the current cars/tires.

Neither thing (complaining about car's changing behavior between sessions / being unable to make the tires work) is unheard of, lots of drivers have always come up with this kind of stuff. It took Schumacher more than one whole season to make the Pirelli tires work...

Greg_OR 24 September, 2019 16:20
Quote:
Myvatn
Kubica has also been struggling with tires all year - the first stint of Singapore race being a good example. ...
For you its about tires, for me its about old spec engine 7 GP old which overheat at first lap and must be turned down - and with lower power its much harder to make tyres work.

Gunk 25 September, 2019 10:23
Quote:
Myvatn
“Unlike the other side of the garage” - how do you know that Russell is not having the same problems, but he simply is able to better counterbalance these issues?

My impression of George is that he simply has a positive nature. Sirotkin stayed pretty positive too considering he was also driving a real dog with totally unpredictable corner entry.

Had Sirotkin stayed on for this year's disaster, however, his good nature might have been tested.

Affinity 26 September, 2019 11:32
No new engines for Williams drivers in Russia. The spec 2 Merc in Robert's car is 8 races old, let's see if it can manage another 6. It's not like he suffered power loss on the straights or had any overheating issues last time around.

Edit: nevermind, seems he'll be getting a new spec3 after all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2019 16:28 by Affinity.

Current Page: 48 of 51

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net