Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Future of Paddy Lowe thread
campos7 20 February, 2019 10:12
honestly, I do not remember the number of technical directors, chief designers and heads of arerodynamics that we have had in the last ten years. Lowe may not be doing the best job in the world, but firing him now seems like a mistake.

We need to trust a technical director, give him time and confidence. To be constantly changing leaders is the wrong way in my opinion.

If people who in other teams was very good in Williams seems bad, it is because the team has serious structural problems

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9255/uy6ursz2.jpg

EagleF1 20 February, 2019 10:43
Agreed. Williams is like a football team.

IanSmithISA 20 February, 2019 13:22
Good afternoon,

I remember a story from somewhere around the late 1980s or early 1990s that Williams forgot to enter for "next year" and had to get special dispensation to be allowed a late entry.

As this was before the popular internet and a lot of trivia from back then has never been put on line does anybody remember the story or know if it was true?

Bye

Ian

Mehryar 20 February, 2019 13:27
Someone posted the a picture of it in twitter...93 season I think, they were late 1 day.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Bond 20 February, 2019 14:41
Quote:
campos7
honestly, I do not remember the number of technical directors, chief designers and heads of arerodynamics that we have had in the last ten years. Lowe may not be doing the best job in the world, but firing him now seems like a mistake.
We need to trust a technical director, give him time and confidence. To be constantly changing leaders is the wrong way in my opinion.

If people who in other teams was very good in Williams seems bad, it is because the team has serious structural problems

Yep- being on the outside & speculating as fans isn't a way to run a team.
things have a way of sorting themselves out.

They most likely spent a lot of time restructuring all the departments @ Grove inslcuding replacing & hiring people.
Getting them up to speed AND finished up designing & developing the parts & overall car.
Plus we shouldn't forget that they were still racing up through November.
All the logistics involved plus the new faces - I am sure this was a tough period.

But what doesn't kill us - will make us better.

UPDATE: Latest from Claire:
The difficulties that Williams has faced have prompted questions about the future of its technical chief Paddy Lowe. But Williams refused to comment on the situation.

"I've been reading a lot of speculation in the media recently about Paddy's position," she said.

"Right now, all I'm focused on, and all the team should be focused on is the car, and making sure the car is in the right place."

source: [www.autosport.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2019 15:47 by Bond.

Rosberg 20 February, 2019 14:59
Quote:
IanSmithISA
Good afternoon,
I remember a story from somewhere around the late 1980s or early 1990s that Williams forgot to enter for "next year" and had to get special dispensation to be allowed a late entry.

As this was before the popular internet and a lot of trivia from back then has never been put on line does anybody remember the story or know if it was true?

Bye

Ian

That was before the 93 season and I heard that was the reason we lost Mika Hakkinen. Williams needed to get every other teams' approval and because Lotus/Williams were fighting for the services of Hakkinen in 93, Williams had to let go of the Finn in order to get Lotus' approval.

Back to the topic of Paddy Lowe, I hope Williams keeps him and sort everything out. Maybe this year's car will work out okay.

So unless if they can get someone more capable, don't let Paddy go with no proper replacement.

Damon96 20 February, 2019 16:43
Quote:
Bond

UPDATE: Latest from Claire:
The difficulties that Williams has faced have prompted questions about the future of its technical chief Paddy Lowe. But Williams refused to comment on the situation.

"I've been reading a lot of speculation in the media recently about Paddy's position," she said.

"Right now, all I'm focused on, and all the team should be focused on is the car, and making sure the car is in the right place."

source: [www.autosport.com]

That isn't even the dreaded vote of confidence owners give football managers, that basically sounds like his number is up but they don't want to destabilise the engineering team any further while trying to get the car ready. She could have simply said the speculation is nonsense and we're confident that we will be competitive this season despite this delay.

Gwanni 20 February, 2019 17:42

Ozzy Osbone 20 February, 2019 17:55
I think it would be wise to give it a few races before binning Paddy. Yes, this is embarrassing but we are not the first and won't be the last. What's much more important is how fast the car is and whether lessons can be learned.

You have to remember that we had to scrap the whole concept of the 41 and start again pretty much where many other teams have developed to incorporate the new regs.

EagleF1 20 February, 2019 18:07
Did Paddy do his scheduled interview this afternoon? Haven't seen any quotes.

Damon96 20 February, 2019 18:10
Quote:
EagleF1
Did Paddy do his scheduled interview this afternoon? Haven't seen any quotes.

BBC had the following:
The team cancelled a media briefing that had been scheduled for Lowe, saying it would now not take place until next week's second test after the car had undertaken significant running.

Bond 20 February, 2019 18:12
Quote:
Damon96
That isn't even the dreaded vote of confidence owners give football managers, that basically sounds like his number is up but they don't want to destabilise the engineering team any further while trying to get the car ready. She could have simply said the speculation is nonsense and we're confident that we will be competitive this season despite this delay.

Right, if there wasn't an issue, Claire would have nip it in the bud.
I don't want to fan the flame of speculation because the team doesn't need this distraction while trying to get racing - but the old adage - where there's smoke there's fire...

j-s 20 February, 2019 18:16
Yeah, that was a huge dodge by Claire.

I really hope Paddy stays, if only because it means we have a reasonably competitive car.

The operational blunder cannot be ignored, obviously. But if the car is solid after such a lousy season last year then a few delays could be justified.

My bet is that recruiting for a new TD started a couple of weeks ago. Just a hunch.

Bond 20 February, 2019 18:20
A lot of today's comments - mostly related to hardware - curiously came from Claire only.
You would think PL would be handling those types of questions...

Bond 20 February, 2019 18:26
Quote:
Gwanni
http://f1i.com/news/330684-williams-wont-apportion-blame-for-fw42-delay.html?fbclid=IwAR3LVFojfITSl6bvV279n7UswwiOfAlBevxWtXnOWqm0vv_C1keRt2GqcjM

Thanks gwanni - good article esp. this part:
"According to reports, the FW42's hold-up was related to a possible design flaw requiring certain components to be redesigned, as well as poor production scheduling and to delays with external suppliers....
Williams would not reveal the specific reasons behind the FW42's delay, believing a series of factors came together to undermine the car's timely introduction.

"It’s probably a number of things," she added."

One team mentality. Good if you ask me.

My emotion for this drama is all over the place.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2019 18:28 by Bond.

Ozzy Osbone 20 February, 2019 18:41
Quote:
Bond
Quote:
Gwanni
http://f1i.com/news/330684-williams-wont-apportion-blame-for-fw42-delay.html?fbclid=IwAR3LVFojfITSl6bvV279n7UswwiOfAlBevxWtXnOWqm0vv_C1keRt2GqcjM

Thanks gwanni - good article esp. this part:
"According to reports, the FW42's hold-up was related to a possible design flaw requiring certain components to be redesigned, as well as poor production scheduling and to delays with external suppliers....

Those things are fixable though. We don't know what the flaws were or how they came about. Was it a department, a single person, a software issue? Scheduling, Paddy or someone high up in the build should take responsibility for. Suppliers can be a pain.

Lessons to be learned but lets see how the thing races first. At the moment we really don't have a clue if it's a dog or a ROKiT.

Gunk 20 February, 2019 19:20
Quote:
j-s

She never came out last year and said we support Paddy 100% or anything like that.

Plus he had Lawrence chewing his ears off every weekend.

I wouldn't blame him if he walked.

Gwanni 20 February, 2019 19:26
You are welcome Bond. At this stage it is best to keep the team tight together. Firing personnel at this stage may be counterproductive

Ozzy Osbone 20 February, 2019 19:36
Quote:
Gunk
Quote:
j-s

She never came out last year and said we support Paddy 100% or anything like that.

Plus he had Lawrence chewing his ears off every weekend.

I wouldn't blame him if he walked.

How can she though? She doesn't run the team, she's just the one who appears on the TV to explain the problems. She can't state full support, only to find the next day that the old man has decided to sack Paddy.

For the good of the team, SFW really needs to let go. He is simply not up to running a modern F1 team.

Mikef1 20 February, 2019 21:54
I personally want Paddy to stay. Look at the obstacles he faces he's the technical director and one of the first things he wanted in the car was a CF gearbox and he felt very strongly about the cost and performance benefits. 2 cars later and someone is still overruling him over the first thing he wanted to put in place? Where is the real problem

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net