Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 34 of 36
Re: Test day 3 and 4
AlanJones 22 February, 2019 10:35
Quote:
ihme
Well, well, seems like we now have the source of Bensons "2 seconds slower than the FW41" revelation:
"Former Williams driver Sergey Sirotkin told Russia's Championat: "When I was in the simulator, the (2019) car was two seconds slower (than the 2018 car)."

Like he would have driven the final model in the simulator. 2 seconds off? Yes, back then. Not now.

https://i.ibb.co/BPGnSFS/GRDAY1header-01.png

ihme 22 February, 2019 10:41
Quote:
AlanJones
Quote:
ihme
Well, well, seems like we now have the source of Bensons "2 seconds slower than the FW41" revelation:
"Former Williams driver Sergey Sirotkin told Russia's Championat: "When I was in the simulator, the (2019) car was two seconds slower (than the 2018 car)."

Like he would have driven the final model in the simulator. 2 seconds off? Yes, back then. Not now.

Corrent Alan:

- Have you heard about the insiders that the new car is two seconds slower than last year?

- That's when I worked on the simulator, it was two seconds slower. But this happened at the very beginning of work, when changes in regulations automatically threw everyone back.
Various technical solutions should have allowed to make up for this time, but at this stage of the development of the car I was not working on the simulator.

But it seems like this is what Benson had based his info on. Why release it just before testing?

ralf111 22 February, 2019 10:47
Pirelliís estimated differences between its 2019 Formula 1 tyres suggest Ferrari ended the first test with an advantage of half a second.

https://i.imgur.com/jYaXnzT.png

[www.motorsport.com]

Stuart L 22 February, 2019 10:55
I havenít a clue where we stand. Head says at the back, heart says not.

The more I read it, the more I donít think this is all Paddyís responsibility.

It sounds like Williams are trying to get more flexibility / hours per worker fir the same or less money on the manufacturing side, and thereís push back from the work force. Thatís not Padfys fault in my opinion, there should be a manufacturing lead and it doesnít look like thatís bedded in.

I also think Pat Symonsís May have worked round problems in the team. IE focus on a low downforce car rather than tackle issues we are getting behind on suspension design, cfd, floor etc. That maybe gave us a false picture.

Add to the fact sponsorship was lined up late, and I think the team has been watching monies closely, delaying orders for all sorts of reasons, and itís clear that it hasnít been an easy period to finalise the car.

It strikes me if there was more finance, manufacturing, design, staff motivation recruitment and retention would be easier. Thatís Ckaireís Department. Mind you we had a@#$%&car last year which impacts on finance.

I also think Paddy and Claire and mike odriscoll wanted to shake up the status quo, and thatís has led to the politics of people leaking info to the press.

Part of me wishes Claire had wrapped an arm round Paddy and said heís doing a great job....even if we are going to sack him. Because if this car turns out to be good (but lacking finance to develop it), then Paddy becomes very poachable if he feels Claire and mike havenít backed him.

In summary I wish the team has the significant extra finance margin to complete restructuring like Mckaren, without needing to constantly scratch around fir a budget each year. That suggests a rights issue (wonít happen as Williams family wonít want shareholding so diluted) or an issue of new lower tier shares needs issuing to give the team said extra margin. They did this once before when Toto bought in, and I think they should do it again. This is where Adam Oart added some value, even though many of you donít like him because he forced the team to confront reality they were living beyond means and needed pay drivers etc to get through period post 2008:9 recession.

erratic 22 February, 2019 10:55
Any insight on long run pace of the various teams? (I know Williams aren't there yet)

It looks a stable car (from my limited knowledge and understanding) and there has been positive comments from commentators on tv and I think GR as well commented on it being stable. Something to build on, it will be competitive!

Anderis 22 February, 2019 10:57
I'm not really that much afraid of Williams being bad this year but almost every other team is looking competitive ATM and that's what worries me- Williams might be low in the pecking order despite building a decent car by their standards.

Mikef1 22 February, 2019 11:06
About the simulator. The simulator said the Fw41 was capable of a laptime in Australia that would have put stroll 6th on the grid. Naturally we know know that turned out the car was 2s or so slower. I wouldn't base any decision about the cars pace on that simulator.

About lap times. You're comparing apples with sausages at this point. Every other driver is dialled into the track, every car is worn in and had setup work every night. And we're worrying about being slow after cruising around doing systems checks and aero checks. I'm not saying it's a fast car but more than ever reading anything into this test regarding Williams is so far completely pointless.

Edit. I'm not saying people shouldn't speak about next week's lap times or what the car did but the comparison tyre graphs and stuff for Williams are not representative at all. If we'd had a full normal week of testing and were at the bottom I would fully support negativity

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2019 11:14 by Mikef1.

Polemik 22 February, 2019 11:06
George Russell said after the tests :
(google translated from motorsport-total.com)

"The car felt pretty good, it was stable and it gave me a good driving experience," he says. "But I did not go all the way to the limit and I do not know where the limits of the car are."

Before he could exhaust the pace of the FW42, he could not say where the troop was and what improvements needed to be made with the utmost urgency. In addition, not all parts of the car are up to date. In some areas, components from the previous year were used because the delivery of the amended versions is not taking place.

"We have to stretch out on the weekend to make sure we can get the groundwork done next Tuesday and finally hit mileage," Russell said. "We're trying to stay positive and wait for the weekend and next week, so of course we're one step behind the other teams when it comes to the experience of the new car, but I totally trust the guys that we make the best of the situation."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2019 11:09 by Polemik.

phatjack 22 February, 2019 11:17
Quote:
Mikef1
About the simulator. The simulator said the Fw41 was capable of a laptime in Australia that would have put stroll 6th on the grid. Naturally we know know that turned out the car was 2s or so slower. I wouldn't base any decision about the cars pace on that simulator.
About lap times. You're comparing apples with sausages at this point. Every other driver is dialled into the track, every car is worn in and had setup work every night. And we're worrying about being slow after cruising around doing systems checks and aero checks. I'm not saying it's a fast car but more than ever reading anything into this test regarding Williams is so far completely pointless.

Car is heavier compared to last year, new aerodynamics, and a simplified front wing. Seems both Ferrari and RP found the same results during their simulator and wind tunnel testing.

GPL 22 February, 2019 11:25
Roberts words then Compromised car

GPL 22 February, 2019 11:26
as i said earlier lets get all the right bits on the car first then push on.

GPL 22 February, 2019 12:01
Regarding Pace

Ferrari bang on pace and good consistent stints from what i can see

Merc going to be there on pace and i can only guess they will be good on stints
as they are putting loads of time into them more than out right pace this week.

Red bull are doing just fine and is all down to the Honda engine.

Renault have pace but not so good yet on stints maybe

Alfa has some pace have work to do on stints i think.

No idea on the rest yet.

ihme 22 February, 2019 12:32
https://i.redd.it/x16enrxs54i21.png

AlanJones 22 February, 2019 14:17
Similar to Ferrari

https://i.ibb.co/BPGnSFS/GRDAY1header-01.png

Niedzwiedz 22 February, 2019 14:27
I don't know if someone catch it up or not, AFAIK you UK guys don't have F1TV and Sky was delivering since 2nd part right ? Either way, when Robert was doing his stints he almost always was behind someone, like racing close. And I wonder if they know that Q pace won't be that good but racing pace is opposite entirely. Wouldn't be bad IMO.

GPL 22 February, 2019 14:48
To be honest i don,t think they have much idea yet on qualie or race pace
all they do know is it seems to be quite easy is to drive so far.

Francesc 22 February, 2019 15:09
So what Robert referred to as the car being compromised means they were running with some last year's car parts. I think the cooling outlet at the back was from the fw41, so maybe they will introduce a smaller one. I think the nose was from last year too as it didn't fit very well with the chassis where the upper wishbones join it. It looked weird. In some pictures it's visible.
Here its the nosecone, it looks like as if they will introduce a Mercedes style slimmer nose.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz2lHhYXQAEUrKj.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2019 15:21 by Francesc.

ihme 22 February, 2019 15:11
I agree GPL we didnt do any real quick laps yet to even see where we are performance-wise.

At least it seems we are using something similar to Ferrari's frong wing concept.

How many times last year we've heard our drivers or the commentators like Johhny Herbert saying that the car feels nice and is generally stable in the corners and under braking?

Who knows, when we turn the wick up and go all in doing qualy laps we might have stability issues again but so far I'd like to believe people like George and Johnny Herbert and hope we will show some speed next week.

Mehryar 22 February, 2019 15:17
Quote:
ihme
How many times last year we've heard our drivers or the commentators like Johhny Herbert saying that the car feels nice and is generally stable in the corners and under braking?

I don't keep track of it but there were positive things too.Not that much but there were a few but I don't think it's something to jump about.
Experienced driver like Rubens fell into that trap.2011, read the comments,even after OZ, you would laugh how much wishful thinking that was.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Gwanni 22 February, 2019 15:21
[twitter.com]

Kubica interview

Current Page: 34 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net