Re: 2nd Test. 2019.
shriekback 02 March, 2019 17:57
Quote:
phatjack
Quote:
Williams-123
Quote:
phatjack
Good to see you posting again and well said.

Hey phat are you talking to shriekback??? Who is shriekback??? Did they used to post under a different name???

Yes, I was Whitey and if it's who I think it is I owe him an apology, he was right and I was wrong.

I am not sure what this is about. I've never posted here under a different name.

shriekback 02 March, 2019 18:50
Quote:
j-s
I understand the calls to curb the negativity prevalent among many posters, including myself. I don't agree, but I know that reading negative stuff is exhausting. Especially for the glass-half-full guys.

I, for one, am not opposed to fans being critical of how their favorite team goes about its business. If we are invited to care, we're going to care about failures as well as successes, and we're likely to criticize the former as we anticipate and celebrate the latter. I think everyone involved in the team expects and appreciates this, and wouldn't wish it any other way.

I just think we need to do better to make sure that when we criticize the team we do so in fair and reasonable ways, informed by an understanding of what we are up against.

To be a Williams fan in 2019 is to root for a team that is trying to do things in a way that makes ultimate success very, very difficult to achieve. Were they to somehow rise to the top of the sport again--competing with massively over-funded, spoiled for resources behemoths like the Mercedes and Ferrari teams--both bearing the name and with the backing of a huge global brand and with many, many hundreds more people in them, all clever as hell and also working their tails off, no less--it would be a story truly for the ages.

My point is that if one finds that prospect--of taking on a really, really difficult challenge against really long odds, with the likelihood of winning being quite remote (certainly in the short term)--to be one unappealing to follow and support, that person should probably move on. In any case, using it as an excuse to vent other frustrations of life by unfairly insulting the people willing to take on such a challenge, as if only their lack of competence could be standing between them and winning it all every year, is pretty annoying.

Quote:
j-s
Can the team improve? Of course. Will we see a better car in Melbourne? Definitely. Will it be better than the next best team? I doubt it. Maybe in time.
Cheers to all and let's hope for a good first race. At least seeing a car running without sacrifices.

Sounds like fun to me!

GPL 02 March, 2019 18:56
Quote:
shriekback
Quote:
GPL
from what i can read into what the team and Robert are saying there will be no
magic bullet anytime soon.

I don't see how Robert in any way addressed such a prima facia silly hope -- "magic" bullet? The very term suggests that it is not worth taking seriously and I can't imagine Robert ever even began to entertain such an idea. One might as well put all of one's savings into the purchase of lottery tickets. Yes, people do actually win the lottery, and every couple of decades or so someone comes up with a double-diffuser or active suspension and rises from obscurity to take an unanticipated championship. If your interest depends on that occurring to you or your chosen team, however, odds are you are going to be bored and disappointed.

Quote:
GPL
Again if we are not competitive it does not hold my interest.

Ok, fair enough. It's good to be honest with yourself. You root for front-runners only. That's extremely unlikely to be Williams this year. Let me suggest you get behind Mercedes, Ferrari, or (if you are even a little bit of a gambler) Red Bull instead. That, or pick another sport entirely. Perhaps some years down the road, Williams will again justify your interest and you can rejoin the discussion as a genuine--albeit fair-weather--supporter.

Quote:
GPL
We need a proven aero man or a new wizz kid on the block.

Have you evaluated, from a genuinely informed perspective, the resumes of those that Frank and Claire (presumably with Paddy's input) have hired to do that job and determined that they are unproven amateurs? I strongly suspect not. I think you should reflect upon the fact that the competition have also hired very knowledgeable and talented people--likely the very cream of the crop of aerodynamicists in the world--to work for them too and that the difference between first and last in the competition they are engaged in is 2 or 3 seconds over several miles. We think of the FW41 as a terrible car. The truth is that it was able to go around a wildly twisty course in an incredibly short amount of time and that it was, by any objective measure, a fantastic machine. It just fell a few short seconds behind what nine other machines could cover that time in. (Oh, by the way, women can be aero experts as well.)

Formula 1 is an incredibly competitive endeavor and besting any competitor at all is a massive achievement. If the best efforts of a team of incredibly talented and devoted people engaged in that effort doesn't capture your interest, there is a world full of other ways to pass your short time on the planet.

For me, at least, following, supporting, and delighting in whatever success might come to one of the few remaining properly independent old-school F1 teams in this era of massive trans-national corporate involvement in the sport, justifies and richly rewards my attention. I can't wait for the real competition to start. As long as Williams is able to get after it and race, either at the back or at the front, I'll be along for the ride and having a great time.

Geez what a load of crap.

You should be a politician talking all this drivel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2019 19:11 by GPL.

shriekback 02 March, 2019 23:11
Quote:
GPL
Geez what a load of crap.
You should be a politician talking all this drivel.

Yes, well I guess reading can be a challenge for some.

Try reading it several times, perhaps slowly and out loud to yourself, looking up whatever words you are unfamiliar with. That often aids comprehension. If that fails, ask someone around you to read it and to explain it to you.

sennaspeed 03 March, 2019 01:28
Quote:
boro1986willliamsf1
I also follow Middlesbrough fc for my sins so i know about the high and lows

I'm from Newport so I know all about your lows! tongue sticking out smiley

Just kidding, it's a funny old game.

Mikef1 03 March, 2019 08:14
Such a feisty forum recently. I'm personally so excited for Australia. The battle upfront looks great and Williams can only improve after a shocking start to the season. Not only that but the midfield is so tight. a guy I know suggests that 3 tenths blankets 5 teams. That's what dreams are made of. This season is going to be brilliant.

boro1986willliamsf1 03 March, 2019 08:19
Quote:
sennaspeed
Quote:
boro1986willliamsf1
I also follow Middlesbrough fc for my sins so i know about the high and lows

I'm from Newport so I know all about your lows! tongue sticking out smiley

Just kidding, it's a funny old game.
Lol😭😭

100% Williams
WILL SUPPORT WILLIAMS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A TEAM

Anderis 03 March, 2019 10:04
Quote:
Mikef1
Such a feisty forum recently. I'm personally so excited for Australia. The battle upfront looks great and Williams can only improve after a shocking start to the season. Not only that but the midfield is so tight. a guy I know suggests that 3 tenths blankets 5 teams. That's what dreams are made of. This season is going to be brilliant.
They were saying the same about 2010 season. The final test day had 8 teams within 0.5 secs on their quali sims and people were excited about how close it was going to be. Even though the title fight was brilliant that year (but mainly due to Vettel having lost much more points due to reliability than anyone else), the midfield was not anywhere near as close and top3 teams had much more comfortable gap to the rest of the grid, barring the odd race where Rosberg or Kubica was in the mix, than the year before.

AlanJones 03 March, 2019 11:17
In two weeks from now it is all done and dusted. The season has started by then and we will know how reality stands (Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull in that order).

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

GPL 03 March, 2019 12:00
Yea the top 3 out front could be vintage.

The mid field sparks could fly this year.

No idea what we will bring to Oz yet,

They have 3 weeks to analyze the data and come
up with some answers but i doubt we will have new bits by then to be honest.

Looks like they need all there spare time just to build the second car and make some spare parts first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2019 12:03 by GPL.

Francesc 03 March, 2019 12:15
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0cC53FVYAA00qj.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0mOL3QWsAU4W94.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0b0OLeX4AITuk6.jpg

Williams-123 03 March, 2019 12:32
ihme gone quiet??? Where is ihme???

Gunk 03 March, 2019 17:14
Quote:
GPL
. . . I doubt we will have new bits by then to be honest.
Looks like they need all there spare time just to build the second car and make some spare parts first.

Sure. The time to Oz is very short . . . and they have to ship stuff to the other side of the world. Very few real working days.

GPL 03 March, 2019 17:22
I was just wondering that over the 2 test periods did anyone notice the other 9 teams do so much flow viz testing.

I really did not take much notice at all of all the photo shots of the other teams machines.

I was keeping a close eye on our racer.

Francesc 03 March, 2019 18:35
Quote:
ihme
43 OUT (C3)
44 1:24.071
45 1:24.547
46 1:23.907
47 1:23:468 *
48 1:24.117
49 1:24.209
50 1:24.569
51 1:24.585
52 1:24.428
53 1:24.568
54 1:24.331
55 1:24.349
56 1:24.364
57 IN PIT

Is that the stint that gave hope to Robert, right?

Let's suppose it's on full tanks, comparing it to the beginning of others race sims it doesn't look bad at all.
https://i.imgur.com/BeyE0br.png

Mikef1 03 March, 2019 20:09
Quote:
GPL
Yea the top 3 out front could be vintage.
The mid field sparks could fly this year.

No idea what we will bring to Oz yet,

They have 3 weeks to analyze the data and come
up with some answers but i doubt we will have new bits by then to be honest.

Anything pre Spain is just a continuation of winter development anyway. Updates based on the winter testing data are Spain earliest. I think it's likely there will be some new pits on the car in Aus but just normal pipeline development. If Williams have good correlation this year and the car is as expected as paddy suggested then they can just knuckle down and work on performance and more performance

shriekback 03 March, 2019 20:29
Quote:
Mikef1
If Williams have good correlation this year and the car is as expected as paddy suggested then they can just knuckle down and work on performance and more performance

Yes, this is what we all need to hope for. If it's true, regardless of where the team is at the start, we can at least look forward to improvements through the season and the prospect of catching up and passing others--racing, that is.

ihme 03 March, 2019 20:56
Quote:
Francesc
Quote:
ihme
43 OUT (C3)
44 1:24.071
45 1:24.547
46 1:23.907
47 1:23:468 *
48 1:24.117
49 1:24.209
50 1:24.569
51 1:24.585
52 1:24.428
53 1:24.568
54 1:24.331
55 1:24.349
56 1:24.364
57 IN PIT

Is that the stint that gave hope to Robert, right?

Let's suppose it's on full tanks, comparing it to the beginning of others race sims it doesn't look bad at all.
https://i.imgur.com/BeyE0br.png

Yes.

He later said that this was the best Williams' car he ever drove handling-wise. And he drove the FW36 and FW40 (I'm not mentioning the FW41 here for obvious reasons) in the past, so handling in the 42 must be pretty f****** incredible when it works and the car is not "tired".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2019 20:57 by ihme.

shriekback 03 March, 2019 21:32
Quote:
ihme
Yes.
He later said that this was the best Williams' car he ever drove handling-wise. And he drove the FW36 and FW40 (I'm not mentioning the FW41 here for obvious reasons) in the past, so handling in the 42 must be pretty f****** incredible when it works and the car is not "tired".

From an interview for Autosport:

Kubica was particularly frustrated by how his Barcelona programme ended as a lack of spare parts held Williams back on the final day.

This came as a disappointment after he'd been boosted by a strong stint on Wednesday, which he described as "one of my best runs in a Williams car".

"My last real run when I feel the car well was [Wednesday] afternoon, first run, when the car did things which I was surprised [by], a really nice surprise.

So, yes, frustrated that he could not see if there were even more really nice surprises to be discovered in the car and to further explore how far he could work with them, but it seems that Robert's opinion of the car as a basic platform is pretty high. I'll take his highly informed opinion of the potential of the car over a journalist observer's like Ben Anderson's every time.

The full article: [www.autosport.com]

AlanJones 03 March, 2019 21:36
Which in turn would mean that when Kubica could've gone mental,he would've dipped into the 1.17s. So all current analyses on Williams' performance are useless.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

Current Page: 41 of 42

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net