Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: The Silly Season 2019
Mehryar 19 September, 2019 23:06
Logically we should be refreshed to see a new guy stepping in the seat of an underperforming driver but as long as the replacement is Latifi, the only thing this news brings for us is to worry more about the finances of the team.
Orlen's deal was 10m or so for a year.Big sponsor...I don't know how they want to replace it.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Gunk 20 September, 2019 12:59
Quote:
Mehryar
Logically we should be refreshed to see a new guy stepping in the seat of an underperforming driver but as long as the replacement is Latifi, the only thing this news brings for us is to worry more about the finances of the team.
Orlen's deal was 10m or so for a year. Big sponsor...I don't know how they want to replace it.

It was quite a wad from Orlen. Maybe 15m. The Poles have a special reason for supporting national heroes, since they don't really have any besides Chopin. Naturally Force India's guy has been to see them and I've read that it's a done deal with Robert as reserve and mentor to Lance.

As we know, Robert only had the drive because the deal with Markelov fell through - once his Dad was arrested. Claire was scraping the barrel then, talking to de Vries and Gutierrez.

About 'underperforming'. Did it matter? They already knew the car would be 2 secs off the pace before it hit the track. I think a bigger factor is that this year's F2 intake is exceptional: Albon, Russell and Norris are super quick. In the few outings against Stroll and Sirotkin, in pre-season and the odd Q, Kubica looked at least respectable.

However, as always, there are other factors. I expected Sirotkin to be light years faster than the tardy Stroll in Q. I have a suspicion that last year's car was something of a leveller. It did inhibit a strong right foot, being known to turn sharp right or left for no real reason.

We shall see. But my expectation is that Russell may well make well make Latifi look silly too.

Greg_OR 20 September, 2019 13:23
Quote:
Gunk
It was quite a wad from Orlen. Maybe 15m. The Poles have a special reason for supporting national heroes, since they don't really have any besides Chopin.
You just stepped on very thin ice with your ignorance about our history. its sad sad smiley

Ozzy Osbone 20 September, 2019 14:10
Every Pole who flew with the RAF is a hero in the UK. (Sm102)

Gunk 20 September, 2019 14:48
Quote:
Greg_OR
Quote:
Gunk
It was quite a wad from Orlen. Maybe 15m. The Poles have a special reason for supporting national heroes, since they don't really have any besides Chopin.

You just stepped on very thin ice with your ignorance about our history. its sad sad smiley

Correct. I should have said international heroes. Ignorance accepted. I doubt the average non-Pole could name 5.

phatjack 20 September, 2019 15:28
Off the top of my head, Pope John Paul II and Lech Walesa.

Gunk 20 September, 2019 16:12
Quote:
phatjack
Off the top of my head, Pope John Paul II and Lech Walesa.

2 is a high score. Not helped by the fact that many people believe Madame Curie and Chopin to be French.

phatjack 20 September, 2019 17:10
The foot ballers on the forum would have at least gotten Lewandowski, Polanski possibly not!

Greg_OR 20 September, 2019 17:23
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
Every Pole who flew with the RAF is a hero in the UK. (Sm102)
thx Ozzy,
dunno what is Gunk's motivation but anyway I feel in duty to answer - we Poles are proud nation with over millennium history , but our roots are in very tough localisation between Russians and Germans who together tried wipe Polish nation out of the map an history, they tried through centuries but failed, even 300 years out of map of Europe wasn't enough to break our nation.
We have dozens of great people who did important things for whole humanity in all branches of science, in fine arts, literature, sports etc. We had leaders who with polish army saved Europe from Ottomans in 1683, and from comunism in 1921. Famous Poles
We are back as really independent country for 30 years now and it take time to get back knowledge and national consciousness when for centuries elites of our country were persecuted and often physically annihilated (as in Katyn during II WW thousands of Polish officers were killed by Soviets)
Anybody more curious about Poland and our nation is welcomed to watch some of this:
[youtu.be]
[youtu.be]

Gunk 20 September, 2019 18:21
Quote:
Greg_OR
dunno what is Gunk's motivation

Greg, absolutely no disrespect intended . . . I was providing a rationale for Kubica being able to command such a high level of sponsorship. Can't imagine anyone in England pitching up with 15m for a UK driver.

I spent a year in Warsaw, great place!

Greg_OR 20 September, 2019 18:39
Quote:
Gunk
Quote:
Greg_OR
dunno what is Gunk's motivation

Greg, absolutely no disrespect intended . . . I was providing a rationale for Kubica being able to command such a high level of sponsorship. Can't imagine anyone in England pitching up with 15m for a UK driver.

I spent a year in Warsaw, great place!
Thanks for clarification Gunk peace&love (ups its F1 funsite so pace&love) smiling smiley
Its a pity that you met Polish people who cant name our heroes, but you are very right, we need ones and Robert is great role model not just for his sport talent but for being "unbreakable", dedicated, sincere... etc.
And yes - current political option in charge puts great emphasis to historical and patriotic education (I'm often sceptical to the way they do it, but it is right in general)

Anderis 20 September, 2019 19:30
Quote:
Greg_OR
[even 300 years out of map of Europe wasn't enough to break our nation.
That's quite an inflated number, I think. smiling smiley 123 years that was.

There are nations that went for much longer without independence and didn't "break" as well, it's nothing unusual.

Also the VIenna victory is probably overrated. The Ottomans had no chance of conquering all of Europe even if Vienna fell. By late XVII century, they were already destined to decline due to their internal problems.
Battle of Kircholm was a very impressive military display from Poland that is not being talked much about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2019 19:31 by Anderis.

Greg_OR 20 September, 2019 22:17
Quote:
Anderis
Quote:
Greg_OR
[even 300 years out of map of Europe wasn't enough to break our nation.
That's quite an inflated number, I think. smiling smiley 123 years that was.

There are nations that went for much longer without independence and didn't "break" as well, it's nothing unusual.

Also the VIenna victory is probably overrated. The Ottomans had no chance of conquering all of Europe even if Vienna fell. By late XVII century, they were already destined to decline due to their internal problems.
Battle of Kircholm was a very impressive military display from Poland that is not being talked much about.
My bad Andderis, of course it was 123 not 300 I've wrote under emotions smiling smiley another example how education is important, I'm computer geek - history was never my favorite.
And of course some battles are overrated and others unknown and we have some "Polish Thermopylae".
And as well as we have our own 'mythology' of chosen nation we also are bit jealous about your empire on which the sun never sets winking smiley

# 33 Max Crashstappen 21 September, 2019 06:48
114 post

phatjack 21 September, 2019 10:48
Eddie the Eagle only wishes he was Adam Malysz. If only back a Grove they employed forwarding thinking people like Copernicus the stars would be no limit.

Gunk 16 October, 2019 19:03
Rumour and Speculation about Renault

There's a longish article in Speedweek about the FIA's investigation into Renault's alleged illegal braking system.

According to Ralf Schumacher, now a race commentator for German TV, it's a serious issue . . . basically cheating . . . and the consequences could be heavy.

[www.speedweek.com]

Mehryar 19 October, 2019 11:04
Hulk in talks with Alfa.

I don't think there's much chance for him tbh.Gio has improved and since summer break he's matching Kimi.Why should they get rid of him when they have done the donkey job?

dot_com 21 October, 2019 17:58
The more I think about it, Williams might not be a bad option for Hulk. Firstly its looking like his only option if he wants to stay in F1. Secondly, if he wants to put himself in contention for a Mercedes seat in 2021 then it would make sense for him to take on and beat Russell in equal machinery. Mercedes would have to take him seriously if he could do that. It might be worth his while finding some sponsorship and spending a year at the back of the grid if it means driving a Merc the following year.

Mehryar 21 October, 2019 19:10
Latifi will drive on 3 fp1 sessions starting from Mexico.

Looks like there's no chance to see anyone else but him in 2020.

Anderis 21 October, 2019 19:14
Hulkenberg beating Russell will do more damage to Russell than good to the Hulk. He will be 34 by 2021. If he ever wanted to have a shot at a top team, he had to either convincingly beat Perez in 2015/2016 or Ricciardo this year. Now it's simply too late, Merc will not bother with him anymore.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net