Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Russell not going to Mercedes.
Discussion started by Andrew Hooper , 07 August, 2019 12:14
Russell not going to Mercedes.
Andrew Hooper 07 August, 2019 12:14
It has been confirmed by Toto Wolff that George Russell will not be considered for a move to Mercedes. Sort of a bit of an obvious things as hints as to this happening have been happening for a while now.

So he stays at Williams which has to be a good thing.

Re: Russell not going to Mercedes.
GPL 07 August, 2019 12:28
It is only a good thing if Williams can build a competitive car, otherwise it is a wasted season for the young charger.

It is like people are saying we could have Max in this banger and we would still be lapped.

I am not sure our team is capable of building a decent car anymore.

Andrew Hooper 07 August, 2019 12:59
Why in 2014 & 2015 they produced cars that took them to 3rd in the championship. That was not that far back. Yes there were different people in the team and they had the advantaged of the Mercedes engine but I see no reason why such times can't return.

GPL 07 August, 2019 13:55
I hope so Andrew but i can not see it .

We need a Newey at the helm to turn this team around.

CLOVERLEAF 888 07 August, 2019 14:40
One day, the title of this thread will read Russell to Mercedes.
☺️

Myvatn 07 August, 2019 15:03
Good news. So far Russell's drives were the only highlight of an otherwise dreadful season, if the team manages to build a decent midfielder next year we might have some fun smiling smiley.

Mehryar 07 August, 2019 15:58
Great news though he was on a 2yrs deal from the first day.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

j-s 07 August, 2019 16:58
I've warmed up to Russel. Happy to have him back next year.

The second season is always better; the driver becomes much more valuable with a longer tenure. Incremental gains.

What saddens me is that we'll probably have another rookie next to him next year. I'd much rather have an experienced driver to push GR to the limit. But beggars can't be choosers.

Ozzy Osbone 08 August, 2019 04:38
I suspect we will have Latifi next year. He's no slouch but he's no HAM either. What we could really do with is a driver with much experience. Hell, we could even end up with BOT back.

Sadly, KUB has just not done enough and our worst fears have been confirmed. He just doesn't have the speed. RUS seems like a good benchmark and has grown into the job.

Filip 08 August, 2019 06:14
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
I suspect we will have Latifi next year. He's no slouch but he's no HAM either. What we could really do with is a driver with much experience. Hell, we could even end up with BOT back.
Sadly, KUB has just not done enough and our worst fears have been confirmed. He just doesn't have the speed. RUS seems like a good benchmark and has grown into the job.

Speak for yourself. Kubica proven to be able to cope with Mercedes star just fine in a terrible car and in a horribly disorganized team. Good luck to Latifi next year driving this sh**box

The Terminator 08 August, 2019 07:31
Quote:
Filip
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone

Speak for yourself. Kubica proven to be able to cope with Mercedes star just fine in a terrible car and in a horribly disorganized team. Good luck to Latifi next year driving this sh**box

I'm guessing you won't be visiting this site next year.

Filip 08 August, 2019 08:40
Quote:
The Terminator
Quote:
Filip
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone

I'm guessing you won't be visiting this site next year.

Hopefully...

dot_com 08 August, 2019 09:46
As sad as it will be to see Kubica out of F1 again, I am excited by how much more genial this forum will undoubtedly become. It’s become pretty ugly at times.

phatjack 08 August, 2019 10:43
I wouldn't call it ugly! The passionate debate from the driver fanboys and Willy fanboys makes this place unique. It's a nice mix. (Sm143)

Mehryar 08 August, 2019 11:24
Yeah with alittle drops of stupid comments from those who have nothing to say except trolling.

phatjack 08 August, 2019 23:21
I like it when the new Willy Boys take you to task because you suggest they should expect more.

I personally believe, It's impossible to make the new Willy Boys understand the long history behind the Hookah?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 23:22 by phatjack.

Mehryar 09 August, 2019 07:49
Poor guy, you should be experiencing a very sad life that makes you come to a F1 message board for a little bit of attention!
I have no idea about your hookah thing but whatever you're smoking, it's better to quit.You've lost the touch with reality and logic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2019 08:03 by Mehryar.

andy si 09 August, 2019 11:25
Williams has a 3 year deal with Russell as it seems.
And I would venture a guess that it has lots of options written in... such as 3+2, dependent on the team and car performance as well.

[www.planetf1.com]

Myvatn 09 August, 2019 12:45
I think that if Mercedes comes calling Williams will not have much in its hands to block the move, contracts or not - they will get a payout or bigger engine discount, but they will not be in the position to keep the driver, even if the car gets better. For the team it would be of course very good to keep him another couple years, but realistically if he keeps improving like this there will be no reason for Mercedes to wait after 2020.

andy si 09 August, 2019 16:50
Quote:
Myvatn
I think that if Mercedes comes calling Williams will not have much in its hands to block the move, contracts or not - they will get a payout or bigger engine discount, but they will not be in the position to keep the driver, even if the car gets better. For the team it would be of course very good to keep him another couple years, but realistically if he keeps improving like this there will be no reason for Mercedes to wait after 2020.

Good point!

Williams has a potential WDC in hand. A contracted fact worth $$$ on the open market. As a negotiating option for 2021 racing package, including engine, other car components, sponsors. And potential new engine partner as well.

We still have 0 ideas as to new engine entries to F1 for season 2021 and further.
There may still be a new engine partner available for discussions.
I wouldn't drop Russell that easily for Merc if a new engine partner appears... would you?

By the end of 2019, the F1 field looks to be closing up even further (if you discount Max and Lewis that is).
If Williams doesn't miss the boat on design recovery completely (as it is now starting to look after 7 month misery), then lots is open for season 2021 for them!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net