Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Why Jamie Chadwick "has" to have a race seat in 2020
Discussion started by IanSmithISA , 12 August, 2019 04:55
Why Jamie Chadwick "has" to have a race seat in 2020
IanSmithISA 12 August, 2019 04:55
Good morning,

Jamie Chadwick has just won the W-Series and I think that this poses a big credibility problem for Claire Williams.

Claire has been openly very supportive of W-Series and now has the champion on the payroll in a simulator/test role.

So has Claire backed herself into a corner and now has to offer Jamie a drive or admit that yes w-series is a lovely idea but when the crunch comes we can't support it?

Assuming that Jamie is not offered a drive or multiple free practice sessions what reason can she offer for having the championship driver and not giving her a decent amount of time in the car?

1) No vacancies.
2) No budget.
3) Not good enough.
4) Jamie doesn't have a super licence.
5) Jamie doesn't want a to drive.

There doesn't seem to be any information suggesting that Williams must offer Robert a drive in 2020.

No budget is vaguely possible as an reason/excuse as it seems likely that if a seat came at the expense of Kubica and his budget then the team would have to find alternative funding. Of course if winning the W-Series doesn't attract such funding then that is a very big negative for the series' future.

I can't see how not good enough in any diplomatic form would be consistent with supporting the series.

The super licence issue could be real as W-Series is not a qualifying event, but if the FIA were to receive and reject a request for a discretionary decision then it would be a real slap in the face for the W-Series; Even the winner isn't good enough for F1.

Given that holding a super licence last year qualifies you for one this year not applying would be weird unless prohibited by cost, aren't they something like 10K plus a supplement per point?

It seems highly unlikely that the W-Series winner would turn down an F1 drive.

Bye

Ian

Re: Why Jamie Chadwick "has" to have a race seat in 2020
Filip 12 August, 2019 06:52
Quote:
IanSmithISA
Good morning,
Jamie Chadwick has just won the W-Series and I think that this poses a big credibility problem for Claire Williams.

Claire has been openly very supportive of W-Series and now has the champion on the payroll in a simulator/test role.

So has Claire backed herself into a corner and now has to offer Jamie a drive or admit that yes w-series is a lovely idea but when the crunch comes we can't support it?

Assuming that Jamie is not offered a drive or multiple free practice sessions what reason can she offer for having the championship driver and not giving her a decent amount of time in the car?

1) No vacancies.
2) No budget.
3) Not good enough.

There doesn't seem to be any information suggesting that Williams must offer Robert a drive in 2020.

No budget is vaguely possible as an reason/excuse as it seems likely that if a seat came at the expense of Kubica and his budget then the team would have to find alternative funding. Of course if winning the W-Series doesn't attract such funding then that is a very big negative for the series' future.

I can't see how not good enough in any diplomatic form would be consistent with supporting the series.

The super licence issue could be real as W-Series is not a qualifying event, but if the FIA were to receive and reject a request for a discretionary decision then it would be a real slap in the face for the W-Series; Even the winner isn't good enough for F1.

Given that holding a super licence last year qualifies you for one this year not applying would be weird unless prohibited by cost, aren't they something like 10K plus a supplement per point?

It seems highly unlikely that the W-Series winner would turn down an F1 drive.

Bye

Ian

I don't want to be rude or something but aside from the superlicence and budget issues Jamie needs to prove she's got enough talent to be anywhere close to F1. W series was a new project and most of the girls there don't have single seaters experience. It's hard to judge her talent based on these series. A natural step for her would be to join F2. If Williams were fair they would help her get the seat and the sponsors but honestly I think it was just another PR stunt by Williams and it won't go anywhere with them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 06:53 by Filip.

shriekback 12 August, 2019 07:43
Quote:
IanSmithISA
\

1) No vacancies.
2) No budget.
3) Not good enough.

Ian,

Your list of five possible justifications for not giving Chadwick a drive in F1 next season leaves out two rather obvious ones, neither of which put Claire into any kind of corner in light of her support for the W-series:

1. By becoming champion in the W-series, Chadwick has not proven that she can be competitive at a level of racing anywhere near F1.
2. Claire is not extraordinarily cruel.

"Supporting" the W-series and judging it a proper measure of its participants' preparedness for F1 are simply wholly different matters. To equate them, and thus to suggest that Claire is a phony for not doing both, is completely unfair.

I think even dropping Chadwick straight into F2 would be cruel. F3? Maybe, but give her an opportunity to prove she is even remotely competitive in a racing series in which her vastly underrepresented gender is not a qualifying factor first. Then let her rise through those ranks if she can. If in fact she can, then yes, absolutely, give her a shot in F1. Right now? No offense, but you'd have to be a sadist or an idiot. Claire strikes me as neither.

IanSmithISA 12 August, 2019 07:58
Good morning,

Looking at the people involved in the W-Series [wseries.com] it seems too many and too much experience to be running a feeder series to F2.

After all the cars are already F3, so to allow W-Series to be seen as a female only F3 championship would seem to be damaging to the W-Series brand. Especially if a competitor has struggled in mixed gender F3 and is supported into F2 as a result of Women only F3.

I was surprised by the amount of experience that the top 7 drivers have in single seaters, it is a lot more than might be expected.

I would be really surprised if Williams were behind the idea of having Jamie drive and started working on it now that they couldn't get a budget that matched Kubica's. The publicity could start now, magazine and tv interviews for the next 9 months and if it turns out the JC is not good enough then the sponsors have still had a great return.

The first three drivers are quite well known with single seater experience so for me Fourth placed driver Marta Garcia is probably the driver that would have been the best winner for the series. The $100k for fourth is a help for next season but isnt the budget for F3 around e500K plus. Even she has had Renault support and been dropped by them.

I know that It is not fair to judge a series after just one season and 6 races, but overall I would be worried for its future. I have watched 5 out of 6 races and the gaps between cars became significant very quickly and it was the experienced single seater drivers that came out on top.

Esmee Hawkey qualified 3rd at Brands and she doesn't have single seater experience being a Porsche driver, but she finished the season 15th with 2 points. Maybe a longer season would allow time to adapt.

I think even dropping Chadwick straight into F2 would be cruel. F3? Maybe, but give her an opportunity to prove she is even remotely competitive in a racing series in which her vastly underrepresented gender is not a qualifying factor first.
Have you looked at [en.wikipedia.org] ?

If you look at the history of the top six drivers you will see a great deal of experience in racing single seaters rather than this being a series where the drivers are trying single seaters for the first time.

Bye

Ian

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 08:07 by IanSmithISA.

CLOVERLEAF 888 12 August, 2019 10:03
I just don't see how Claire has any responsibilities to offer her a F1 drive. It's only a new series and it's not exactly F1 feeder series level. Jamie has to do and prove much more first. Let's get real

SydneyF1Fan 12 August, 2019 10:47
Sorry Ian, but have to agree with the opposing views.

W-series not broadcast on TV here, so I can't comment directly on the quality, but as a brand new series I think the top women need to compete against top drivers in equal F2/F3 equipment first to prove that they are of equal footing and worthy of an F1 drive.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see women drivers in F1. I just think the new series has to build its credibility first. There would be nothing worse for the W-series brand if a female F1 driver lapped 2 seconds slower than Kubica in its first year.

Once the W-series drivers have proven they can do it then I have no problem with it becoming a direct feeder series. It's too risky for the brand to attempt it straight away.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

IanSmithISA 12 August, 2019 15:42
Good afternoon,

I am seeing, possibly in my mind an imaginary, trend in the replies where the expectations for the series winner is quite low.

I do see the series as almost an equivalent to GP2, certainly a level up from GP3 or it is pointless.

I am unsure how much interest others here have but if you look at the top 5 drivers

Jamie Chadwick    110 [en.wikipedia.org]
Beitske Visser    100 [en.wikipedia.org]
Alice Powell       76 [en.wikipedia.org]
Marta Garcia       66 [www.motorsport.com]
Emma Kimilainen    53 [en.wikipedia.org]
Fabienne Wohlwend  51 [en.wikipedia.org]

you will see drivers with plenty of experience, the idea that the series is full of deprived hopefuls with no single seater experience is clearly false.

The race winning drivers DO HAVE single seater experience at similar levels to Lewis, Max and Kimi when they entered F1.

I think the top women need to compete against top drivers in equal F2/F3 equipment first to prove that they are of equal footing and worthy of an F1 drive.
I agree and this is the point, the top drivers in the series have already pretty much done so.

In the first series, the series was dominated by already known and experienced single seater drivers, the rules say that for the next season the top 12 drivers automatically qualify, in other words those who already have single seater experience.

Bye

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 15:43 by IanSmithISA.

CLOVERLEAF 888 12 August, 2019 17:54
Sorry Ian, but I just think your missing the point..... Having experience is one thing.... having solid results in a top championship is another.... You don't simply promote someone to Formula 1 because they have vast experience if results show in an top line championship they are not at the top of their game. In fact some of the drivers you quoted have very little single seater experience

Jamie Chadwick has not won a top line championship on her own.... shes not even done F3 euro so how on earth does Claire have a problem on her hands? I just don't see it . It might happen in the future if she can build on the W series championship but not yet.

Visser spent 3 season out of single seaters and had more experience with them years ago and apart from 2nd in the W series was nowhere in anything else.

Powell won the f3 Asian series but that was 2014 and has done nothing really great since.

Garcia in your link was asked by Renault to leave their academy due to lack of funds (so they didn't want to help her) and the other 2 have no real quality stats to them either .

It does appear your heart wants an female F1 driver rather than going by the facts in front of us.

Gunk 12 August, 2019 19:26
Ain't gonna happen.

Seem to remember Suzie Wolff was our official reserve driver when Felipe had his weekend off. They got di Resta out of a four year retirement from F1 instead.

Mehryar 12 August, 2019 19:31
I believe the idea behind this W-Serie is like bringing F1 to new countries with no real fanbase but in a hope to attract a new generation of supporters.

Same about this serie.Those involved atm, tbh they are not good enough to be anywhere near F1, unfortunately but this can attract a new wave of female racers to start a career and hopefully when the pool of choices is bigger, there will be some who can compete in higher levels.

For first few years, it's hardly unlikely.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

phatjack 13 August, 2019 07:55
The irony in this thread along with the overwhelming stench of testosterone is unbelievable.

A woman who has just demonstrated she is capable of performing in racing while Claire just lucked into her position tells you all you need to know. Sad but understandable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2019 08:28 by phatjack.

CLOVERLEAF 888 13 August, 2019 12:08
The title of this thread is "why Jamie Chadwick HAS TO HAVE a race seat. Whether it's a male or female we are talking about has nothing to do with it. This particular racing driver has not done enough or proved enough at a high enough level to earn a race seat. End of.

phatjack 13 August, 2019 22:30
Good point, look at the number of male driver's who have brought huge coin to an F1 team without merit ... Claire grow some balls like you're old man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2019 22:48 by phatjack.

CLOVERLEAF 888 14 August, 2019 00:13
Rofl. Ok

boro1986willliamsf1 14 August, 2019 09:53
The purpose of the series is to showcase women's talents 2 drivers have got some sort of drives from if Jamie is our technology driver and Powell who has not driven in 5 years because of financial reasons now got a drive in another series yes they maybe not good enough for F1 but promoting talent is a good thing I for one am in favour

100% Williams
WILL SUPPORT WILLIAMS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A TEAM

CLOVERLEAF 888 14 August, 2019 14:56
Ian says She should have a race seat though in his title.

???????

I think people are getting caught up in political correctness rather than answering Ians sweeping statement.

AlanJones 14 August, 2019 21:57
F2 Will be her next stop. After that.. who knows?

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

phatjack 15 August, 2019 23:48
Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888
Ian says She should have a race seat though in his title.
???????

I think people are getting caught up in political correctness rather than answering Ians sweeping statement.

Never, F1 is the Pinnacle of Motorsports ... other racing series around the world are more welcoming to the non-penis type and it draws huge audiences.

Susie Wolf who?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net