Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Belgian GP Friday Practice
Discussion started by Andrew Hooper , 30 August, 2019 08:22
Belgian GP Friday Practice
Andrew Hooper 30 August, 2019 08:22
Can we continue the steps forward seen in Hungary. George Russell is not so sure as the car is not really suited to the fast tracks of Spa and next one in Monza. Said that the FW42 even though it doesn't have a lot of downforce which would suit Spa but has a lot of drag

Re: Belgian GP Friday Practice
Gunk 30 August, 2019 11:20
Force India quick on the low df circuit. Currently 7 and 9. I mean Racing Point of course . . . doesn't somehow stick for me that name.

Latifi a couple of tenths quicker than Robert . . . no surprise there perhaps. 1.5 seconds off 15th spot, which is average.

Gunk 30 August, 2019 11:25
Oh, and Albon a few hundredths off Max for now . . . .

Myvatn 30 August, 2019 11:28
Huge gap. Maybe with Russell it will get a bit lower, but probably no fighting with the rest of the field here.

Oh, well..

Gunk 30 August, 2019 12:17
Quote:
Myvatn
Huge gap. Maybe with Russell it will get a bit lower, but probably no fighting with the rest of the field here.
Oh, well..

The car is usually closer to the pack on Fridays . . . it is relatively easy to set up . . . but we shall see.

Anderis 30 August, 2019 13:06
Discouraging results of FP1.

But considering how Russell was around a second faster than Kubica at Hungaro all throughout the weekend it's not impossible Williams could still get near Toro Rosso. But it's 1.6 secs to the fastest driver of third worst car- hard to imagine Russell can fight for Q2 like in last race.

Damon96 30 August, 2019 15:34
We are 1.5 seconds off Q2, 2 seconds off Q3 and almost 3 behind Perez.

Anderis 30 August, 2019 15:45
It's starting to look like Hungary just suited our car. sad smiley

Andrew Hooper 30 August, 2019 15:53
Well that showed how far they have to come. The FW42 seems to have gone backwards but as George Russell had said it comes down to a track where the car is not suited to it.

But to be 1.5s off the cars in front is just massive.

Gunk 30 August, 2019 16:01
Quote:
Damon96
. . . . and almost 3 behind Perez.

True, but the Stroll cars are really quick around here . . . what a pity the session went sour at the end. Commentator reminded me that Perez hasn't scored any points for 4 months . . . which is crazy.

Interesting for me: the McLarens kind of nowhere at this circuit.

Certainly the Williams is slow, but I do believe Claire is spending as little money as possible to get through the season, despite the blab.

Greg_OR 30 August, 2019 16:11
Quote:
Gunk
Certainly the Williams is slow, but I do believe Claire is spending as little money as possible to get through the season, despite the blab.
Isn't it irrational? saving on this year car means double spendings on next year one as rules will not change. Now you can develop and test on GP weekends if you save now than you will have to blind develop over winter.

Gunk 30 August, 2019 16:13
Quote:
Andrew Hooper

But to be 1.5s off the cars in front is just massive.

It's super draggy isn't it. That's the problem for McKiernan to solve.

sennaspeed 30 August, 2019 16:17
George already pointed out earlier in the week that we have no downforce and are as DAF*, so no surprise.

* Draggy As F*@#

j-s 30 August, 2019 17:36
OUCH!! Embarrassingly slow!

FW42 proving to be absolutely incorrigible. What a wasteful, miserable, slow and misunderstood POS of a car.

dot_com 30 August, 2019 20:35
Some days it’s REALLY hard to be a Williams fan. This year has been full of those days. Maybe once Spa and Monza are out of the way, our car might suit some of the other tracks a little better. Though that’s really hard to believe at the moment.

Gunk 30 August, 2019 21:09
Quote:
j-s
OUCH!! Embarrassingly slow!
FW42 proving to be absolutely incorrigible. What a wasteful, miserable, slow and misunderstood POS of a car.

smiling smiley

Maybe not, 'misunderstood'. Given that the tunnel was such a mess, maybe all they could do at the time? Trying (desperately) to be positive, they do know what works and what doesn't and why with this car. Which hasn't been the case for some time. (Maybe as far back as Coughlan.)

I'm not sure it's incorrigible exactly, it's just that it may well be uneconomic to 'tweak' it . You don't normally get 1.5 seconds out of development.

phatjack 30 August, 2019 21:59
I was some what confident Patrick could make a difference, but this team and it's painfully obvious is in need of real help, sponsors aside.

Andrew Hooper 31 August, 2019 02:17
Let's just get through Belgium and Italy and see where things turn out. But it is going to be painful to watch made even more difficult by the fact that Hungary gave me the feeling that progress was been made.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net