Current Page: 1 of 2
BELGIAN GP . race
Discussion started by Gunk , 01 September, 2019 14:13
BELGIAN GP . race
Gunk 01 September, 2019 14:13
40% chance of rain

Re: BELGIAN GP . race
Damon96 01 September, 2019 15:11
We could do with it now, before we pit, only hope we have.

Gunk 01 September, 2019 16:23
Think I only saw a glimpse of a Williams during the race . . . and that was in the pits . . .

Greg_OR 01 September, 2019 16:37
thats why I gone for F1TV - on second monitor I had Robert's onboard (or anybody chasing him) almost all the time.
Robert was faster than George at the end of first stint, reducing gap from 4.5 to about 1.5s but than he had 2s slower pitstop and on fresh softs he lost another 5s on few laps - strange.
Another strange thing is that difference in top speed was 15km/h before engine swap and about 20km/h in race, when top speeds in 2nd and 3rd sector were comparable.
---
have to check those max speed values once again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 17:42 by Greg_OR.

tomazy 01 September, 2019 17:36
The reason why Robert was closing up on Russell was becouse Russel was stuck behind Kimi. He alwais closed to him to less than 1 s in the middle sector, but then Kimi drove avay on the streights (no DRS for Russell). He then passed Kimi in the pits (as did Kubica due to poor stop of Kimi, but Russel would have been infront due to undercut also) and had free air and Kubica batteled with Kimi, that is why the gap has grown in the first laps of second stint.

Gunk 01 September, 2019 17:59
Thanks for info, guys.

BTW, do you happen to know if there was any further action by the stewards after the Albon/Perez incident?

And did Giovinazzi take himself off or was it an engine failure?

tomazy 01 September, 2019 18:03
Giovinazzi crashed, dont know abouth Peres and Albon tho. Also, the race was not such a dissaster for Williams as I have feared, but the pace was still poor.

Mehryar 01 September, 2019 18:07
Gio crashed out himself.

About Albon/Perez FIA decides for no furthur action.

Happy for Charles, finally he takes that win but a real heartbreak for Lando...He was doing a fantastic job considering their pace all weekend.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

phatjack 01 September, 2019 18:16
I like Russel's new boyish haircut. Sky has a way for fitting him in along along side Norris and Albon!

Gunk 01 September, 2019 18:58
Cheers for info.

Gio is underperforming. One can make allowances for a 2 year layoff but . . . it's half a season now. Fred does not strike me as a patient man. One wonders if Sauber might be a spot for Hulk?

Sure . . . real shame for Norris. But at least McClaren were just unlucky, whereas Renault screwed up again.

Mikef1 01 September, 2019 19:31
I think norris albon and russell are great. It's nice to be able to enjoy those drivers in a trying season. Had hoped for more this weekend as William's seemed to be on the up but a lot of teams had upgrades here. Monza will be more of the same I assume.

Myvatn 01 September, 2019 22:35
Race pace was relatively better, but still no improvement over first half of the year.

Stuart L 02 September, 2019 07:20
Great race yesterday. I love the ’Britpack’ of George, Lando and Albon. All three have really great futures in the sport. Albon seems odds on to get the Red Bull drive next year with his performance yesterday.

As for Williams. To me it’s steady progress. We’re definetely closing up. Three quarters of a second to a second a lap off competitive midfield race pace now which is a massive gain from earlier in the season.

We won’t fix the scale of drag we have on the car this year, but I get the feeling they now have good correlation and will design a car that can be midfield next year. I also have the feeling our ride / suspension / mechanical grip problems are a relative thing if the past.

I see Claire has started the auction of the second seat...letting Laffiti know that Kubica and ‘others’ are under consideration. We all know Laffiti will get the drive but Claire needs to drive the price up as next year we won’t get the Stroll exit monies to top the budget up, and 2020 could otherwise be a real squeeze with 10th place constructors monies and I guess a worry Rexona might not continue.

I hope Rexona / Unilever stay with us. Huge respect for them working with Williams and I hope they recognise the team seem to now have a grip on car design / development and the racing prospects are stronger next year.

Greg_OR 02 September, 2019 08:27
Very optimistic Stuart but correlation problems were said to be fixed last year and it was confirmed in pre-season tests - it was one of few positives that numbers were correct and we've got what was expected by designers.
Since than we've got ONE aero update which suits only high downforce tracks and ONE front suspension, Merc-like, tweak .
You can call it "steady progress" but Williams needs "rapid progress" if want to catch anybody before rules change for 2021.

IanSmithISA 02 September, 2019 08:41
Good morning,

As for Williams we all "know" that it is going to be Jamie C. in the other seat next year with Mercedes money as she becomes part of the "She's Mercedes" campaign. :-)

[www.mercedes-benz.com]

Bye

Ian

Anderis 02 September, 2019 10:09
Quote:
Stuart L
Great race yesterday. I love the ’Britpack’ of George, Lando and Albon. All three have really great futures in the sport. Albon seems odds on to get the Red Bull drive next year with his performance yesterday.
I'm not that much impressed with Albon. He was right behind Giovinazzi on lap1 and on lap 22 he was still behind Giovinazzi. Gio was only going to finish P9 (with Verstappen and Sainz out of the race, otherwise possibly more like P11, with Raikkonen and Ricciardo having a clean 1st corner maybe even lower) so it's not like the Italian had a superb race. It seems to me that Albon didn't get anywhere near of getting the most out of his car and I don't think Gasly, who was kicked out for not being good enough, would've done worse. Also Albon only overtook Kvyat on lap 36 and Kvyat started behind him!

Considering it was a mid-season switch and how little experience Albon has with F1 cars it was not a bad performance but when lack of experience will no longer be considered an excuse for him, he will need to show much better than that IMO.

Stu69 02 September, 2019 11:54
Quote:
IanSmithISA
Good morning,
As for Williams we all "know" that it is going to be Jamie C. in the other seat next year with Mercedes money as she becomes part of the "She's Mercedes" campaign. :-)

[www.mercedes-benz.com]

Bye

Ian

Do they have a “He’s Mercedes” campaign too?? Out of interest?

And a. “None defined gendre’s Mercedes” campaign?

Sorry too much Piers Morgan on GMB in the UK this morning!

phatjack 02 September, 2019 13:07
Quote:
Anderis
Quote:
Stuart L
I'm not that much impressed with Albon. He was right behind Giovinazzi on lap1 and on lap 22 he was still behind Giovinazzi. Gio was only going to finish P9 (with Verstappen and Sainz out of the race, otherwise possibly more like P11, with Raikkonen and Ricciardo having a clean 1st corner maybe even lower) so it's not like the Italian had a superb race. It seems to me that Albon didn't get anywhere near of getting the most out of his car and I don't think Gasly, who was kicked out for not being good enough, would've done worse. Also Albon only overtook Kvyat on lap 36 and Kvyat started behind him!

Considering it was a mid-season switch and how little experience Albon has with F1 cars it was not a bad performance but when lack of experience will no longer be considered an excuse for him, he will need to show much better than that IMO.

I missed why Albon needed to start from the back of the grid?

# 33 Max Crashstappen 02 September, 2019 13:26
Quote:
Anderis
Quote:
Stuart L

I 100% agree with this, I think Albon ain't that great he is nothing special he is an imposter!

Gunk 02 September, 2019 16:50
Quote:
# 33 Max Crashstappen

I 100% agree with this, I think Albon ain't that great he is nothing special he is an imposter!

Might be a little harsh. In previous seasons/formulae he has shown very considerable improvement from year one > year two. I think the bigger question is whether RBR will allow him that luxury.

I still see some speculation that Vettel may return - alongside commentary by Berger that Vettel would be more likely to call it a day and play with his young kids and old motor bikes.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net