Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Tough time for Williams supporters
Discussion started by Andrew Hooper , 03 November, 2019 01:02
Tough time for Williams supporters
Andrew Hooper 03 November, 2019 01:02
Sort of expected that peoples interest in Williams would drop off as we get towards seasons end. It has been a tough year with not much on the positive side to talk about.

Few good things like new sponsors and sponsors extending their involvement but not much of future directions in regard to staff been bought into those areas where we need to see a lift. On top of that is the news that Pat Fry is going to Renault and he was one of the only hopes we had of bringing on a new experienced technical person. Oh well.

Add onto that all the issues relating to a certain driver and that has made things even that harder. So much negative talk as to why we are slow, why a certain driver is slow.

I for one just want to see the season over and then really put my positive hat back on and look forward to the 2020 season with a new FW43 which will have all those issues that the FW42 started the season with resolved. It won't be a world beater but anything that sees us fighting in the midfield and I will be happy.

Anyway just get through US, Brazil and the Abu Dhabi and bring on 2020.

Re: Tough time for Williams supporters
Mr Brooksy 07 November, 2019 07:18
What I've found really interesting/sad in certain forums is the general consensus on lots of F1 sites and especially dedicated forums is that Williams are dead/need to die/they want dead.

It's like some kind of personal win and accomplishment if Williams fail entirely and fold. Why would it be so personally satisfying for one of the top 3 most successful teams in F1 history to shut up shop and make hundred of employees unemployed!

On one site I don't post on much anymore that I really enjoyed in the past has a moderator who uses every single chance to wax lyrically about how Williams is doomed, everyone involved are hopeless and the world would be better without them. Like seriously! We are down, stop with the sucker punches already! I remember Caterham raising enough crowd funding to scrape the cars to their final race. But with Williams, it's as if we are a dying Dracula and all the villagers from near and far are coming together to toe us up, throw us on a wood heap soaked in petrol and set it alight! All the while singing songs as if around a camp fire.

Anyway, yes this year has been horrid, but will we get back to being competitive... I don't know, I hope so. I miss the days of fighting at the front, near the front... Or even fighting for any position at all! Can Williams be saved from non existence like the great names like Tyrell, Brabham, Cooper and Lotus? Maybe.

Fingers crossed that 2020 we at least end up near the Alfas and Torro Rosso's!

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more"!

rpaloschi 07 November, 2019 07:33
Yeah... very well put. And it was the same with those big names you mentioned. And the sport continues to kill its essence, the teams in favor of corporations and their businnessmen that just need a bad year financially to pull the plug.
In a way, Williams is the only thing I still feel is worth of anything in F1, there is no soul anywhere else. How can you not win by spending 3x more?

boro1986willliamsf1 07 November, 2019 11:36
I'm glad this season is nearly over but I'm expecting more of the same in 2020 hopefully I'm wrong as I expect all resauces been given to the 2021 car with the big regulations change

100% Williams
WILL SUPPORT WILLIAMS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A TEAM

CLOVERLEAF 888 07 November, 2019 15:33
TOTALLY AGREE with Brooksy…

I think one thing that makes every thing worse is one of my pet hates of todays world...

SOCIAL MEDIA..... you read so much, people post so much... and sadly a lot of it is hate.... its a sad time when people hide behind their phones, tablets , pcs etc and just post hate .. almost as if that is their way of venting and it may have nothing to do with the subject... its like a way of life for some people it seems … people say stuff because their is no real punishment in most cases.. say that in real to a real living person and the poster would end up with a smash in the face.. I hate social media with a passion.. I stay off it. too much hate and bullying.... ok rant over.

But again Social media plays a part in our demise too.... Mercedes, Ferrari and Red bull get even more exposure because of their sucess and they are then deemed to be the cool brands.... Don't do well and social media can destroy you too.. Williams are uncool to many.... We are not even seen as the underdogs.... so gain no support from that.... The only way Williams can be cool is if we start doing well or have a really cool sponsor that connects with todays modern generation and gives us an edge in that direction with public perceptation.

Mikef1 08 November, 2019 19:05
Its hard that there haven't even been small wins this season. Sure the team did some good development and George looks like a decent driver but none of it was big enough to matter.

Albi-Quin 08 November, 2019 20:47
We’re doing well with the speed of the wheel changes!!!
Very hard this season, but if no Williams, no F1 for me.

Mehryar 08 November, 2019 20:59
From the first lap it was clear the season is gone.The gap we had with points was as big as a STR or Alfa had with Mercedes.If some hoped we can get to point scoring level, he was expecting race wins for Gio too.

But the positive things for me are the financial side with Claire managing to bring in some more sponsors yet again and also the fact that we tried different things on the car unlike last few season when they stopped development right after understanding the gap with the target.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Mikef1 09 November, 2019 01:09
Quote:
Mehryar
From the first lap it was clear the season is gone.The gap we had with points was as big as a STR or Alfa had with Mercedes.If some hoped we can get to point scoring level, he was expecting race wins for Gio too.
But the positive things for me are the financial side with Claire managing to bring in some more sponsors yet again and also the fact that we tried different things on the car unlike last few season when they stopped development right after understanding the gap with the target.

I didn't think points were possible but I'd at least hoped to see the team attack the back markers towards the end of the season. In a way I guess at some tracks it has been the case.

Mehryar 09 November, 2019 07:45
It was not pointed to you.

j-s 10 November, 2019 20:39
Next year will be tough as well, I doubt Williams is investing in last year of regulatory cycle. Too much at stake for 2021.

Andrew Hooper 11 November, 2019 07:46
Thanks for everyone's comments. It was encouraging to hear so many along the lines of without Williams there is no F1. I am of the same view and always have been.

From what I have read there will be no reduction in their 2020 efforts simply because of the major changes taking place in 2021.

I am pleased to hear this as they really do need to give people like us as well as sponsors something positive in 2020.

Mikef1 11 November, 2019 08:42
I guess they will continue with this whole concept for another year, at least the updates brought to the car have been working. If they can find some reasonable gains in the wind tunnel it stands to reason that there wont be any nasty surprises when the car hits the track. The team will know full well what kind of year they're about to have before they even hit the track for pre season. Given that other teams will naturally build faster cars, its possibly the biggest ask of their tech department to not be last.

GPL 11 November, 2019 10:29
Have we now got a good Aero man in charge or not??

someone who did not design the aero of these last 2 cars??

I am confused with all the comings and goings who is in charge of what on the car.

I am sure i read that drag difference is measured in tenths but we are about 3 second adrift
so what is the cause ??

Who is now our head of design and who is head of aero and and do these guys come
with a good reputation??

The concept of this years car again is all wrong and does not work that is why they have not
spent any money on it and saved it for the 43 i hope??

Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2019 10:31 by GPL.

Mehryar 11 November, 2019 10:41
They claim there's no major flaw in the concept and they pushed for development till the later part of the season which is a good change for sure.For once they stopped saving money and tried different things on the car which will go right into next year design.

j-s 11 November, 2019 16:17
I think the team are predictably saying they're gunning for it in 2020 by fully developing the current (and in my humble opinion terminally flawed) concept from this year.

First of all, we would never know how much the team is actually spending on this car, so they can say whatever they want about their allocation of resources and we'll never be aware of it. They have, like every other team, the ability to guide the narrative through their alleged investment. I call BS, sadly. They'll be as thrifty as possibel with the FW43.

Proof of this is the only thing we can actually see with our own eyes: the car. They'll bring back the FW42 and develop it further. They say they're "just behind the curve in development line" but come on, do you think that they'd keep pushing this POS if they had the money to change it? I doubt it.

I hope I'm 100% wrong.

Mikef1 11 November, 2019 16:29
They were saying how it would be easy to make gains now that they have validated their numbers so you could hope if there are no glaring issues besides lack of downforce then they will have had numbers to work towards for quite some time. The outwash wing they developed will generate further gains when they have bargeboards and sidepod designed to work with that airflow next year for example.

sennaspeed 12 November, 2019 20:22
Do you think they would bring a major update to Abu Dhabi looking forward to concepts for next year? With the race weekend and the two day test that would be five days of running.

I know they are not allowed any developments on the car for the two day test and the car must be the same as the race car, but what if they brought a new car for the race. Would this be a way to get around that rule? Just a thought.

Mehryar 12 November, 2019 20:29
I don't think any team can fast track 4 months for making a new car, not to mention a team that fails to show up in first winter test.

But Robson says they will have some test parts for this weekend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net