Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Halo and DRS
Discussion started by SydneyF1Fan , 19 November, 2019 10:14
Halo and DRS
SydneyF1Fan 19 November, 2019 10:14
Curious dot_com - do people still have an issue with the halo?

I don't even notice it any more (although I wasn't particularly fussed about it in the first place), and it's well and truly proven its safety value in F1 and lower formulas.

I can understand objections to DRS more, as this definitely affects race craft and results. I initially objected to its introduction, but I have since warmed to it as a necessary evil in the current aerodynamic era. Hopefully it will not be so necessary post 2021 rule changes and can be phased out to promote pure driver racing skills.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Re: Halo and DRS
SydneyF1Fan 19 November, 2019 10:17
This got posted as a new thread, but I was replying to one of dot_com's comments in the "Tough time for Williams supporters" thread.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Anderis 19 November, 2019 10:32
I've never had issues with halo.

I was slightly enthusiastic towards DRS when it was first introduced. Now, however, I start to dislike it more and more. The main problem, is of course, dirty air, which now seems to be worse than ever, but dirty air combined with powerful DRS means most of the fights are too straightforward. You need a big pace advantage to close the gap and then, with DRS, if you have that big pace advantage, the overtake is often easy and completed even before the braking zone. The counterattacks are basically non-existent these days. It's too much about being able to close the gap and not enough about outdriving your opponent and the cars can't really have close fights for long if their pace is similar. I honestly think the quality of racing in F1 is bullshit these days.

I hope they'll be able to reduce the dirty air to the extent it will be possible to drop DRS and have some good wheel-to-wheel fighting.

IanSmithISA 19 November, 2019 11:01
Good morning,

Quote:
SydneyF1Fan
.....I don't even notice it any more (although I wasn't particularly fussed about it in the first place), and it's well and truly proven its safety value in F1 and lower formulas...

In a sense it is easy not to notice it as it has become covered by the large gear, brake and throttle graphic.

Had they added that graphic without there being the halo I suspect that everyone would be complaining about its size and placement.

So I would have say it has had a negative effect on tv coverage, but it is a safety device that has been effective in lower formulae. Fuel tanks that split and caught fire were much more dramatic then the current fuel bladder but not many people want to go back to metal tanks.

Has the halo has been shown to be effective in F1 yet? The LeClerc/Alonso incident at SPA looked dramatic, but the official F1 report said that without the halo LeClerc would have been hit by Alonso's front wing not his wheel. A helmet/front wing impact may or may not have been harmless.

Like the HANS system, the halo is here to stay and the current generation of drivers just accept HANS as part of the clothing, yet when it was introduced there was the same hoo-hah as the halo generated.

Bye

Ian

rpaloschi 19 November, 2019 16:21
Im Ok with the halo.
DRS is a gimmick at best... anti climax of F1.
Isnt it going away in 2021? I thougt it would for sure.

Anderis 19 November, 2019 16:31
There are no plans to scrap DRS in 2021.

Maybe for 2022 if 2021 rules prove to be successful in reducing dirty air?

SydneyF1Fan 19 November, 2019 18:43
Quote:
IanSmithISA
In a sense it is easy not to notice it as it has become covered by the large gear, brake and throttle graphic.

Had they added that graphic without there being the halo I suspect that everyone would be complaining about its size and placement.

From the cockpit view, I'd argue that the halo occupies dead space anyway, so the overlay of the graphic is a very creative use of that part of the screen which adds to, not detracts from, the viewing experience.

My sense was that people's biggest objection was being able to identify drivers from the outside view. The initial incarnations of the halo were pretty ugly, but now that ithey blend in to the artwork on the car I hardly notice them and I think it's just as easy to identify the drivers as before. I tend to look for the black or fluro marker on top of the air intake to distinguish the cars anyway as often too hard to pick the helmets.

Quote:
IanSmithISA
Has the halo has been shown to be effective in F1 yet? The LeClerc/Alonso incident at SPA looked dramatic, but the official F1 report said that without the halo LeClerc would have been hit by Alonso's front wing not his wheel. A helmet/front wing impact may or may not have been harmless.
Like the HANS system, the halo is here to stay and the current generation of drivers just accept HANS as part of the clothing, yet when it was introduced there was the same hoo-hah as the halo generated.

I think the Peroni Monza F3 crash is proof enough of its safety value for all open wheelers. I don't think it requires a specific F1 example, but the Alonso/Leclerc incident could have been so much worse a split second later and the Hulk Brazil 2018 crash may have ended differently too.

Mr Brooksy 19 November, 2019 22:56
Personally, I have no real issue with DRS with the current generation of cars. You have to fight tooth and nail to get it activated as has been mentioned before, something that wasn't as hard to do in years gone by as it is now with such complicated Aero effecting cars following. And now with DRS, it's like you get a bit of reward for getting close enough and you have a higher percentage chance to overtake. I disagree it's a free pass device, certainly it's too easy at some tracks, but others its not.

The Halo on the other hand is still terrible looking and I doubt that will change any time soon. But from a safety perspective its necessity is not really in question. The other thing I hate about it (and it's not something that many will care about) is that it's terribly obstructive with onboard camera shots like the side of the engine cover camera (which is my favourite) as well as the cockpit view on the driving games like F1 2019 etc. I really wish there was a better alternative, or at least a more aesthetically integrated design...

dot_com 21 November, 2019 13:16
Hi all.

I still do hate the halo. I still see it every time I look at an F1 car. I hate how much screen real estate it uses up on the onboards and it looks hideous from the outside too. I have the F1 TV Pro app and sometimes watch old races from the archive - and then when I watch a current race it further enforces how ugly they look with that halo. Perhaps if I didnít watch older races, or if I were a new viewer it wouldnít bother me so much. I feel like Iím watching a video game when I see the onboards - and I donít want to watch a video game! Saying all that, itís really just aesthetics and itís obviously a good trade off for the safety improvement that it brings - I donít want drivers to die in race cars, although no safety measure can truly eliminate that risk, as weíve seen recently in F2. As for DRS, it still seems too artificial to me. Sometimes itís just a given that if a driver can get within a second, he will pass. The pass itself isnít the challenge, getting to within DRS is the challenge and then the pass is a formality. But then other times itís pretty ineffective. So even the inconsistency of that really bothers me.

I would much rather we had a stripped down version of F1 without those ďgimmicksĒ but I know that canít happen now - weíve come too far, and a sport thatís been forced to become technologically ďrelevantĒ wonít want to take a step backwards in time. Itís just a shame, is all Iím saying. F1 isnít what it used to be. Iíll still watch every race but for so many reasons I do not get as excited for GP weekends as I used to. As Iíve mentioned before, this could be my age (Iím 41) and real life commitments that prohibit me from watching every session live, or the underperformance of my team, or the V6ís, or the Haloís, or the DRS, or the yada yada yada... probably just a combination of all these things, but Halo and DRS are right up there at the top of my list.

</rant>

SydneyF1Fan 22 November, 2019 19:42
Fair call, dot_com.

The halo doesn't bother me at all and I don't mind the cockpit graphics looking like a video game They'd probably have graphics on the screen somewhere anyway.

Agree with your comments on the DRS. I wasn't really a fan when they brought it in, but now accept it as a necessary evil of modern F1. Hopefully they can do away with it in the next gen but, like you, I can't see them going backwards from here.

Andrew Hooper 23 November, 2019 00:40
Halo .... what halo. Don't notice it.

DRS for me was simply an admission by F1 that the cars could not pass and they had to produce an artificial way to see this happen. The sooner it is gone the better. Hopefully in 2021 we will see the new rules allow the cars to run close together and as such the DRS becomes unnecessary,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net