Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Have we found Georges weak spot.... ??
Discussion started by CLOVERLEAF 888 , 20 November, 2019 17:52
Have we found Georges weak spot.... ??
CLOVERLEAF 888 20 November, 2019 17:52
I do wonder if George is either being ultra carful or has a weak spot... Am I alone in thinking that maybe his starts are not the greatest and he fails to gain any places or falls behind Kubica.... I don't know if anybody has some stats but it feels like hes not nailed the starts.... Maybe we were spoilt because knock Lance stroll as much as you like for not qualifying well but often his starts got us up a lot higher than we should have been and he was quite epic in that department. Sure he then got passed again but he was a demon starter.

Re: Have we found Georges weak spot.... ??
Anderis 20 November, 2019 18:11
I remember Rosberg's awesome starts from 2009.
From 4th to 1st in Malaysia
From 16th od 9th in Germany
From 9th to 5th in Turkey
and so on...
almost always some gains on lap1 and from decent starting positions.

Mikef1 20 November, 2019 21:44
This is true. Russell is poor on the first lap and will be a big issue for him when he finds himself a better seat. What's the point of out qualifying Kubica every day when most of the time hes last at the end of the first lap.

Bottas used to be very similar. He had many many instances of being overly cautious on the 1st lap when at William's and even in his early Mercedes days. Hes certainly figured it out so Russell will too.

Mr Brooksy 20 November, 2019 22:37
I was wondering if Russell is too tentative when fighting his team mate. This year I've noticed a few times, if he is passed by Kubica he usually takes forever to get by and then disappears off into the sunset when he is through.

I don't know about his Jnr career but can George fight wheel to wheel effectively? Or is it just a case of being extra careful around your team mate?

Gunk 21 November, 2019 01:01
Quote:
Mr Brooksy
I was wondering if Russell is too tentative when fighting his team mate. This year I've noticed a few times, if he is passed by Kubica he usually takes forever to get by and then disappears off into the sunset when he is through.

I think you'll find they are both very cautious. Williams does not have the spare parts to allow a dog fight.

Andrew Hooper 23 November, 2019 00:36
Yes those two factors of been careful and the parts issue really make it difficult for him to fight with that freedom he really needs.

I must admit that Kubica has been really good in the area of race starts. He always gets in front og Russell only to then struggle in the race. Shame.

GPL 23 November, 2019 09:57
Yea lets hold judgment till we get a car on track that can mix it shall we.
I am sure he has better starts in his armoury.

How was his starts in the lower series??

CLOVERLEAF 888 24 November, 2019 14:23
Found these stats Guys .

How many places a driver gained (positive) or lost (negative) on the first lap of every race, on average plus total positions gain so far.

Lance Stroll
+1.85
+37
Sergio Perez
+1.5
+30
Robert Kubica
+1.1
+22
Nico Hulkenberg
+0.5
+10
Pierre Gasly
+0.5
+10
Kevin Magnussen
+0.5
+10
Antonio Giovinazzi
+0.45
+9
Sebastian Vettel
+0.25
+5
George Russell
+0.1
+2
Charles Leclerc
+0.05
+1
Lewis Hamilton
+0.05
+1
Valtteri Bottas
Lando Norris
Carlos Sainz Jnr
Daniil Kvyat
Kimi Raikkonen
Alexander Albon
Daniel Ricciardo
Max Verstappen
Romain Grosjean

So by those stats Kubica is making much better starts than George , who has only gained 2 places at the start compared to 22 of Kubica.... Look whose at the top... Again, Stroll nailing it..

Gunk 24 November, 2019 15:30
I think Stroll tops this chart every year - and he is one of the cleanest overtakers in the business. It is an undeniable talent.

At the other end, we have Grosjean - who Mark Webber always referred to as 'first lap nutcase.' Some things never change.

I guess looking at cold stats George does need to improve.

Myvatn 25 November, 2019 06:33
Quote:
Mr Brooksy
I don't know about his Jnr career but can George fight wheel to wheel effectively? Or is it just a case of being extra careful around your team mate?
One episode is not enough to give a conclusive answer, but his fight with Norris last year in Monza was spectacular. Also in the few duels he had this year he generally did well.
I think it is more a first lap/first few corners issue than a generic inability to fight wheel to wheel.

dot_com 27 November, 2019 21:53
Check out this on board from Hungary - pretty good opening lap, I would say!

[www.instagram.com]

CLOVERLEAF 888 28 November, 2019 00:16
He must have then made a mistake as stats say he's only made up 2 positions all season after the first lap. Unless the stats are wrong.

j-s 28 November, 2019 19:25
Places gained in first lap is a stat full of caveats. It should be normalized based on average position gains-losses for each starting position to give a better picture.

Having said that, having Russel gain so few considering he's started in the prime spots for doing so (i.e the last row) is indeed quite interesting.

CLOVERLEAF 888 02 December, 2019 04:11
Well he lost a place to kubica again but maybe more intriguing is what is the big mystery about George being unwell and Sirotkin on standby just in case. Wonder why he's saying the time is not right to reveal what was wrong.

GPL 02 December, 2019 08:05
Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888
Well he lost a place to kubica again but maybe more intriguing is what is the big mystery about George being unwell and Sirotkin on standby just in case. Wonder why he's saying the time is not right to reveal what was wrong.

Can you elaborate on that last bit please WHAT WAS WRONG?????

CLOVERLEAF 888 02 December, 2019 16:02
Gpl.... Was just wondering what was the big mystery over him being unwell. He said it wasn't the right time to reveal exactly what was wrong with him health wise

GPL 02 December, 2019 16:04
Had a rethink .

i am not interested what excuse they come up with,the proof
will be when the 43 hits the track.

dot_com 02 December, 2019 17:06
I wonder if it could have been a mental health issue. Being far away from home, at the end of a super long season - it must be really tough on a youngster in his first full year of F1. Maybe some depression or anxiety kicking in, or maybe some personal/family problems.

GPL 02 December, 2019 20:16
thumbs down

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net