Latest news:

2020 Australian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Formula E . 2019 -2020 season. Anyone following?
Discussion started by Gunk , 24 November, 2019 20:23
Formula E . 2019 -2020 season. Anyone following?
Gunk 24 November, 2019 20:23
Have to say, after yet another totally boringly predictable season of F1, I was really happy to see this come round again.

2 more manufacturers enter the fray this year - Mercedes and Porsche - and the level of competition continues on a steep upward curve.

What I like particularly - age and dollar backing is not the prerequisite of being a good FE driver. You need to be a very good close racer and have a computer like brain for the tactics, risk assessment and energy deployment.

What I didn't like: this season every team is pushing the rules and the number of technical infringements in the first two races was just silly.

Question for others who follow: Do you have a favourite team you follow or just drivers? For most people it seems to be just drivers, which is very different from F1.

Anyway, after 2 races:

https://copydude.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/f2-2.jpeg

Re: Formula E . 2019 -2020 season. Anyone following?
SydneyF1Fan 25 November, 2019 01:52
Tried to watch it once, but couldn't get past the whining engine noise. It irritated me like someone scraping their fingernails down a blackboard, so simply couldn't watch it for that reason alone!

Beyond that the racing seemed a bit artificial and chaotic to me, coming from F1, eg. lots of seemingly needless overtaking attempts and crashes. I'm sure it would start to make sense once you understand the rules and tactics around 'power zones' (?) etc, but I couldn't get past step 1 to invest further time in understanding it all.

I'm sure it's the future and will replace F1 in time and I'm open to that evolution. To me, the appeal of F1 is watching the best drivers in the world duke it out in the most technologically advanced and fastest cars in the world. So watching "B" grade/retired F1 drivers race in slightly slower cars doesn't really appeal to me at this time. I don't really watch other forms of motor racing either, other than the occasional F2 and MotoGP race if I happen to be watching when they come on.

So short answer, is "No"!

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

IanSmithISA 25 November, 2019 08:17
Good morning,

I have tried it in the past but didn't get on with it due to the stock nature of the cars in the first season.

Interestingly the first season cars ran a 4 speed gearbox, whereas Tesla road cars run a single speed "gearbox", excluding the original roadster which had a 2 speed.

Then things started to get interesting as the number of gears started to differ between teams, mostly single speed to three speeds and the motors also evolved.

Yet to me the presentation of the sport tries to hides this development, which interests me more than the races.

If Formula E were to be much more open and informative on technical side it would be a lot more interesting to me.

It seems likely that road cars that are intended to run on unrestricted roads (155mph voluntary limits) are going to need multi speed gear boxes, but maybe not, whereas an electric town car may be able run without a gearbox/differential.

The town car could use the developments that are being made on "in wheel motor" field which is a completely different approach to a motor driving a gearbox and a differential which is still a Formula E requirement (I think).

The In Wheel approach may not work as well at higher speeds, so Formula E may end up being a development platform for BMW 7 series type cars rather than Ford Fiestas. :-)

So does Formula E try to get up to 200mph cars to match F1 and possibly become mostly non road relevant tech or does it stay grounded in mass road car tech and find a lower speed limit?

Sadly the battery seems to be remaining a standard part for the foreseeable future. :-(

Bye

Ian

Gunk 25 November, 2019 12:32
Quote:
SydneyF1Fan
To me, the appeal of F1 is watching the best drivers in the world duke it out in the most technologically advanced and fastest cars in the world.
Unfortunately, that's only the theory. In fact, only the same couple of drivers ever get to duke it out. The rest fall into line in an ever more predictable procession of no hopers, year in, year out.

In Formula E, every driver on the grid has a sporting chance.

Quote:
SydneyF1Fan
. . . watching "B" grade/retired F1 drivers race in slightly slower cars doesn't really appeal to me at this time.

It was the case when the formula started . . . the series first winner was Piquet Jnr. Now it's quite clear the formula requires a quite different skill set. People like Lotterer come from a tin top background. Guys like Sam Bird have never been near F1. Massa is demonstrating how retired F1 drivers don't cut it anymore and it's unlikely someone like Grosjean would ever finish one race.

Meanwhile, people like Rowland or Frijns were only 'Grade B' F1 in terms of sponsorship backing, compared to people like Stroll or Sirotkin.

Come on, how long is it since Williams had two of the 'best drivers in the world'. Not for donkey's years, since Ralf and Monty.

Gunk 25 November, 2019 14:24
Quote:
IanSmithISA

So does Formula E try to get up to 200mph cars to match F1 and possibly become mostly non road relevant tech or does it stay grounded in mass road car tech and find a lower speed limit?

Ian

So far, the series has made a virtue of street circuits, with races in London, Paris, Berlin and New York. But given battery limitations, it's a virtue born out of necessity.

For me, a few road/bespoke courses would be wonderful, but I have no idea what the long-term strategy is. I have a big problem with Indy and all the ovals - far more than with FE and streets - but it's how the sport grew up.

j-s 25 November, 2019 19:27
I've seen more FE than F1 in the past two years. 1) It's free. 2) it's more fun.

I enjoy it. Cars look really good. Quick enough, especially in city circuits where the barriers give good sense of speed. Enough overtaking. Good drivers. Reputable manufacturers placing their stickers on the car too. Not that I think manufacturers are a necessity; but their endorsement and involvement is significant.

I don't even mind the gimmicks, boosts and all of that. I think FE is allowed to do many things that F1 or other more traditional series could not. It's fun. Give them some Mario Kart bananas and mushrooms, I say.

I just enjoy watching the races. Don't follow a driver or team. It's liberating. Spur Cola to F1's Coke.

Hopefully it won't be co-opted by the manufacturers. It might have been already. Who knows.

Mehryar 25 November, 2019 20:26
So far I've missed the races due to the timing but will surely follow as it's a good filling activity before winter tests.

but there's alot of negativity around the serie for me.It's slow, tracks are terrible, cars look to be very limited on grip side and the biggest problem is all of these limitations are fake.In all series they restrict the performance of the cars but in FE it's too big.I do believe there are couple of electric road cars which can beat these FE cars on normal tracks with their performance and that's a big fail for what is meant to be the ultimate electric motorsport atm.

The other boring thing is its huge unpredictability! Yes it's somehow boring to be too predictable like what is happening in F1 atm but at the same time too much unpredictability throws the serie into what is happening in US motorsport where anyone or any team can win.For me, that's stupid.
It's meant to be the highest level of Electric motorsport available, not a karting serie with bigger cars.

For all of these reasons and few more, I can't take it serious.Not to miss a working hour to watch the race or skipping a favorite movie for it.It's like watching a band opening the show for a bigger band you're a fan of...Fun but nothing more than that.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Ozzy Osbone 26 November, 2019 15:28
I like it and it's getting better. I would like to see some races on longer circuits though. How about the shorter Silverstone circuit that the touring cars use? Would like to see these machines on wider tracks. Or is it the case that long straights are still a problem in terms of battery cooling?

No doubt this is the future. F1 has a problem but I think it should consider swapping to hydrogen maybe very soon. Only a few backward looking car companies are still working on petrol / diesel hybrid cars and I believe it will be seen as a stop gap to full electric vehicles in a fairly short time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net