Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 13 of 15
Re: The All New FW43
Polemik 19 February, 2020 14:42
Russell thinks it's a much better car
[www.motorsport.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/02/2020 14:52 by Polemik.

Polemik 19 February, 2020 14:52
"Tech insight: Can Williams rise again with its new FW43?"
[www.motorsport.com]

tomazy 19 February, 2020 19:07
just look how small the sidepod inlets are (Sm135)

https://az732437.vo.msecnd.net/-/media/williamsf1/racing/2020/news/t01/grday1header.ashx?h=710&la=en&w=1935&revision=8e2c3682-1ea2-409d-9600-7ea715be8f69&hash=38BB9F4697A17F2CCE9162CD69B7A971201B0165

Mikef1 19 February, 2020 19:19
Generally I dont think Williams' work on the sidepods has received the due recognition. Yea they have relocated things to the engine cover which is why its larger, but the sidepods themselves are a work of art. It's only wrong right now because last year williams were so slow. That's what I hate about all the pundits and tech write up. Cant acknowledge a good idea because it's more likely Williams will be slow again so better to save face and assume they will be crap

AlanJones 19 February, 2020 19:32
How surprised they will be if Williams will be a solid midfield team.

https://i.ibb.co/zhmNGgW/GRDAY1header-01.png

tomazy 19 February, 2020 19:41
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl/0qX4nX46/s8/williams-fw43-in-the-garage-1.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/02/2020 19:42 by tomazy.

Mr Brooksy 20 February, 2020 02:33
Quote:
Mikef1
Generally I dont think Williams' work on the sidepods has received the due recognition. Yea they have relocated things to the engine cover which is why its larger, but the sidepods themselves are a work of art. It's only wrong right now because last year williams were so slow. That's what I hate about all the pundits and tech write up. Cant acknowledge a good idea because it's more likely Williams will be slow again so better to save face and assume they will be crap

Nah they'll just bang on about how we are only doing better because of the Mercedes engine... I still hear people going on about 2014-15 being nothing to do with the team and everything to do with the engine.

The onboard I saw last night (your morning) looked like Russell was cruising around with no real effort being applied and yet his times were pretty good compared to the likes of Haas, Alfa and Scuderia Alpha Tauri (SAT). I was surprised to wake up this morning to see SAT had improved a lot, as the car didn't look great in the morning session (even considering times mean little at this early stage).

Rear Wing 1 20 February, 2020 03:41
Quote:
Mr Brooksy
(even considering times mean little at this early stage).

I disagree with times meaning little at this early stage, just look at Mercedes they were top of the time sheets and I bet they will be quick in Melbourne.

Also I bet a lot of people here would be over the moon if the 43 was top of the time sheets yesterday, times mean a lot even at this early stage....Trust me.

Mr Brooksy 20 February, 2020 11:26
I'm not saying that they don't mean anything, I'm just saying that in the first half of the first day of testing, it isn't showing enough of cars absolute ability.

It's awesome to see we are well ahead of our qualifying pace of last year. I'm hoping we are on par with the back end of the midfield come Melbourne.

Polemik 20 February, 2020 11:58
Head to head: Williams FW42 vs Williams FW43

[www.f1technical.net]

Rear Wing 1 20 February, 2020 13:00
Quote:
Mr Brooksy
I'm not saying that they don't mean anything, I'm just saying that in the first half of the first day of testing, it isn't showing enough of cars absolute ability.
It's awesome to see we are well ahead of our qualifying pace of last year. I'm hoping we are on par with the back end of the midfield come Melbourne.

All good thumbs down

tomazy 20 February, 2020 18:56
https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Williams-F1-Test-Barcelona-20-Februar-2020-169FullWidth-c6f4bf4c-1671722.jpg

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/racefansdotnet-20200220-200040-18.jpg

https://preview.redd.it/dkjy10ufe4i41.jpg?width=819&auto=webp&s=ed97c05b26fd061e7f0899d78bd9e4e6e7bbbe10

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2020 21:08 by tomazy.

ihme 21 February, 2020 12:07
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERS0TdgW4AAMNWV.jpg:large

shriekback 04 March, 2020 02:48
In case anyone missed Marc Priestley's assessment of design factors on the FW43 that stand out. He works from an image with the old front wing, but it's still quite interesting:

GPL 04 March, 2020 09:37
Cheers.

GPL 06 March, 2020 09:55
Why is it that Williams struggle/fail every year to design a car with decent down force.
They have had many designers engineers come and go yet still we are no better off and non
the wiser for it all.

Other teams and even new teams seem to do a much better job.

Marco Cardoso 06 March, 2020 10:16
I think Williams got lazy, since 2014 and the beggining of the Martini and Mercedes power, they designed a decent car that was based on low downforce and whit the advantage the Merc engine had, it actualy worked for a couple of years and got us 3rd in WCC the fist two years but has others improved we stood in the same design filosophy and got passed.

Since the last year with Martini Williams was lost in it's tracks, with no baseline to develop and no ideas from up top in the design team.
Our car has been a mix of three top teams ever since, Redbull style rake and nose, Ferrari style sidepods and bits of the Mercedes ideas like the under cape and the airbox, but glued togheter and with little efficiency.

The team should have built a car based on their own ideas and follow some of the Mercedes filisophy, has they supply the engine and that's always an influence to the car design.

https://goo.gl/images/VESYsm

Rear Wing 1 06 March, 2020 10:43
So Marco you are saying Williams problem is that they have been building Frankenstein cars?

That kinda makes sense why Williams have been rubbish for so many years because they have been building Frankenstein cars.

Mikef1 06 March, 2020 10:54
Quote:
GPL
Why is it that Williams struggle/fail every year to design a car with decent down force.
They have had many designers engineers come and go yet still we are no better off and non
the wiser for it all.

Other teams and even new teams seem to do a much better job.

You would have to assume that the average level if intelligence at the team is the same. The lack of budget means they cant afford to pursue as many different avenues as the bigger teams. But what they do design hasn't been working so it must be their ability to simulate the air flow accurately.

Myvatn 06 March, 2020 11:07
Quote:
Marco Cardoso
I think Williams got lazy, since 2014 and the beggining of the Martini and Mercedes power, they designed a decent car that was based on low downforce and whit the advantage the Merc engine had, it actualy worked for a couple of years and got us 3rd in WCC the fist two years but has others improved we stood in the same design filosophy and got passed.
Since the last year with Martini Williams was lost in it's tracks, with no baseline to develop and no ideas from up top in the design team.
Our car has been a mix of three top teams ever since, Redbull style rake and nose, Ferrari style sidepods and bits of the Mercedes ideas like the under cape and the airbox, but glued togheter and with little efficiency.

The team should have built a car based on their own ideas and follow some of the Mercedes filisophy, has they supply the engine and that's always an influence to the car design.
I think that the main issue was the lack of correlation between track and wind tunnel data, which became fully evident in 2018 when the team abandoned the low drag philosophy. It is then quite difficult to say whether the design philosophy the team decided to follow was simply wrong, as you say, or if with a sound correlation at the factory it could have been made to work.
Then there were likely also some issues inside the technical team - it is of course not normal to see TD, chief designer and chief of aero all leaving in 12 months... I think the technical team was totally without a lead in 2018-19 winter and this led to an undercooked and late car (the FW42).

Current Page: 13 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net