2020 Canadian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 3 of 15
Re: The All New FW43
ihme 05 January, 2020 20:14
So Kubica just revealed that FW42 had a serious design flaw which we could do nothing about, also in the simulator and this basically rendered our sim mostly useless during 2019. It would explain why we've gained so little by introducing a big upgrade package mid-season - the numers were good in the sim and then when the upgrades hit the track we were not where we thought would be.

Thats just great baring in mind that FW43 will be an evolution of the mighty 42...

Francesc 05 January, 2020 21:53
It's amazing that the last two Williams have had a major design flaw.

AlanJones 06 January, 2020 06:17
Quote:
ihme
So Kubica just revealed that FW42 had a serious design flaw which we could do nothing about, also in the simulator and this basically rendered our sim mostly useless during 2019. It would explain why we've gained so little by introducing a big upgrade package mid-season - the numers were good in the sim and then when the upgrades hit the track we were not where we thought would be.
Thats just great baring in mind that FW43 will be an evolution of the mighty 42...

That's something I've said before. And I will repeat it:
Williams needs to ditch 2020 and focus it's attention to the 2021 car from the go. Just get your fabrication lines up and running to spit out parts needed for the season. But stop all development completely after the season hits Europe and just take the year as it comes.
It's useless to spend money on a car that was already a second and a half behind from points finishes and will be behind in 2020 as well.

https://i.ibb.co/zhmNGgW/GRDAY1header-01.png

Mehryar 06 January, 2020 10:54
Quote:
ihme

I don't think that's a news.The team already knew about it when they introduced only one big upgrade package and then nothing.What they tested afterwards (new front wing too) were basically for 2020.
Sure they are aware of it so they didn't throw money more on 42.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

tomazy 11 January, 2020 14:22
Latifis seat fitting

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EN8Az2nWAAEt6b8?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

GPL 11 January, 2020 20:55
How would they have fixed the wind tunnel calibration????
It seem like it has been way off true for years now.

How does this process get resolved once and for all??

Andrew Hooper 12 January, 2020 02:56
It can only ever be improved to try to get it as best as it can be, can never be 100%. There are so many variables all of which affect the CFD - simulation - wind tunnel - on the track testing process.

Some very highly knowledgeable engineers are continually adapting their models that they use in the CFD & simulation of new parts. Hopefully the teams wind tunnel will produce results that support what they find in their CFD and simulations. If they do well that is positive but if the expected gains are not produced in real life it is back to the drawing board to see where the models are getting it wrong.

That is why we see teams like Williams using the rigs on their cars so much to try and assess what is happening on the car while testing and compare that with what is seen in the wind tunnel. But you have to bear in mind that teams have limited wind tunnel time which makes it even harder to test things to see if corrections in the modelling work prior to making the parts for testing on the track.

It is a very complex process which I only understand the basics. But it would seem from comments from the Williams team that the results that they are seeing in their CFD and wind tunnel testing are been seen on the track which can only be seen as a positive thing. At least it means that the CFD - Simulation - Wind Tunnel process is working.

GPL 12 January, 2020 10:19
I just read on one of the Autosport threads that Renault shut down there Wind tunnel for a whole month to re calibrate it.

j-s 12 January, 2020 20:26
At this point I'd just like to know WHAT the major design flaws have been. What areas, what components?

Judging by development and the limited impact of the updates, I think there not a single design flaw... or at the very least, the flaw is so fundamental that it cascades down to everything else.

I suspect it's the nose-bargeboard area. That's were every other team has been spending like lunatics, and that's where Williams design looked a bit off. Just guessing.

GPL 13 January, 2020 11:22
They never tell us.

Frustrating to say the least.

If they were to inform us of the exact design problem it would give us and sponsors more faith moving forward.

boro1986willliamsf1 13 January, 2020 11:27
They already stated that last years car was a good base for this years car and the updated in Germany was heading in the right direction

100% Williams
WILL SUPPORT WILLIAMS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A TEAM

GPL 13 January, 2020 12:18
For the 42 to be so slow /so far off the pace it must of had a serious design problem??

ihme 13 January, 2020 15:57
Quote:
boro1986willliamsf1
They already stated that last years car was a good base for this years car and the updated in Germany was heading in the right direction

Calling a car that was 2 secs off the pace from P18 at winter testing and almost always 1s during the season even after a BIG mid-season update a good base eye rolling smiley

boro1986willliamsf1 13 January, 2020 17:45
[quote ihme][quote boro1986willliamsf1]They already stated that last years car was a good base for this years car and the updated in Germany was heading in the right direction[/quote]

Calling a car that was 2 secs off the pace from P18 at winter testing and almost always 1s during the season even after a BIG mid-season update a good base eye rolling smiley[/quote
I never said it Williams stated the updates will let them know whether the baseline of the car is good enough or whether to build a new car from scratch as the updates worked and showed improvement with out building from scratch as most teams will be using the 2019 baseline car as major rule change in 2021 so there is no major flaw in last years car

100% Williams
WILL SUPPORT WILLIAMS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A TEAM

GPL 14 January, 2020 08:30
As usual we have conflicting opinions/statements.

Kubica saying major design problem that could not be changed.

Chief engineer saying the car has a good base line.

Track performance woeful.

I would have to side with Kubica going on the woeful lack of performance,
and one of the worst cars Williams have ever brought to a F1 championship.

I can only think that when they say a good baseline they mean no nasty surprises
like trying to kill the drivers out of the blue.

Lot riding on this year and if Claire has not sorted the factory out this time, then i see her stepping down and Frank getting in a person who can.

For many years now people have said Williams is still run like a cottage industry and
again only the other day Lance Stroll remarked on Williams and Racing Point being chalk and
cheese in how they go about things.

So all this time and still Williams have done nothing about it geez.

WilliamsF1Fan 14 January, 2020 20:12
Quote:
GPL
As usual we have conflicting opinions/statements.
Kubica saying major design problem that could not be changed.

Chief engineer saying the car has a good base line.

Track performance woeful.

I would have to side with Kubica going on the woeful lack of performance,
and one of the worst cars Williams have ever brought to a F1 championship.

I can only think that when they say a good baseline they mean no nasty surprises
like trying to kill the drivers out of the blue.

Lot riding on this year and if Claire has not sorted the factory out this time, then i see her stepping down and Frank getting in a person who can.

For many years now people have said Williams is still run like a cottage industry and
again only the other day Lance Stroll remarked on Williams and Racing Point being chalk and
cheese in how they go about things.

So all this time and still Williams have done nothing about it geez.

I read the reports GPL and wondered if the major design issue was more about cash than a technical challenge, although both are ultimately about money. By that I mean if say the concept of the front wing is wrong, then changing it affects all of the surfaces of the car back to the rear wing. Fixable, but at a cost. However, and this is perhaps not a great example, say the chassis had design limitations, it could require in effect a B spec car to resolve. Either way I sensed that Williams didn't have money to spend.

The cottage industry analogy could be the fact that Williams makes most of its cars, and Racing Point doesn't. Pro's and cons for each argument, with RP ahead at the moment!

GPL 15 January, 2020 15:50
All the crash tests passed thumbs down

Francesc 15 January, 2020 18:34
Excellent news!

tomazy 15 January, 2020 21:21

Andrew Hooper 16 January, 2020 07:39
It is really time to move on from the FW42. All I am interested in is seeing an FW43 that is a major improvement over the 2019 car.

The fact that the team has passed that major hurdle of the crash test is a positive things to see. At least the team is not having to go back to the drawing board to redesign parts. Maybe not having Lowe around has helped.

Current Page: 3 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net