Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 6 of 13
Re: The All New FW43
GPL 06 February, 2020 11:19
Nice early start up thumbs down

Yea long road ahead, lets hope we they are on the right one this time out.

Andrew Hooper 06 February, 2020 13:02
Yes 2020 will come down to us having the faith that Williams can produce an improved car.

Now its down to the team to deliver and if getting an early startup is one small indication well its got to be positive.

CLOVERLEAF 888 06 February, 2020 17:35
[www.planetf1.com]

Frank in the video smiling like it's the first time he's heard an F1 engine.

tomazy 06 February, 2020 20:59
https://i.ibb.co/p0yDs5t/fw42-43.jpg

dot_com 07 February, 2020 13:20
Williams are continuing to hint at a red livery in today’s teaser...

[www.instagram.com]

GPL 07 February, 2020 14:02
Hmm.

Did not like the Winfield Red at all.

ihme 07 February, 2020 17:17
Quote:
dot_com
Williams are continuing to hint at a red livery in today’s teaser...
[www.instagram.com]

A red brick... That's reassuring.

Mikef1 07 February, 2020 20:34
The good news is that with the budget cap, they merely have to sustain their same level of expenditure and the rest of the teams will come down to them minus any loopholes. Williams wont go bust this year, and after a few more seasons with what in my opinion is a regulation formula that will suit Williams, the long term goal must be to attract more independent sponsors again and stop being dependent on driver sponsors. If they can do this, not only will they survive but they may thrive with a budget cap.

ihme 07 February, 2020 22:53
If we can produce a car without any major flaws then the 2021 regs could indeed suit us. I'm still waiting for the end of the first day of winter testing to see if our current staff can do the proper job.
I will not fall for "it just needs a lot of setup tweaking and we'll be fine" this time like it was last year.
If we wont show some speed on the end of day 1 like others have done last year then I'll be very disappointed.

Mehryar 07 February, 2020 23:51
It's not only "last year"...It's been always the same.What we see from overall performance in testing will be what we see during the season.It's only fans who like to see something different out of it or tv pundits trying to justify their job.
Nothing more.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

IanSmithISA 08 February, 2020 09:24
Good morning,

Quote:
Mikef1
The good news is that with the budget cap, they merely have to sustain their same level of expenditure and the rest of the teams will come down to them minus any loopholes. Williams wont go bust this year, and after a few more seasons with what in my opinion is a regulation formula that will suit Williams, the long term goal must be to attract more independent sponsors again and stop being dependent on driver sponsors. If they can do this, not only will they survive but they may thrive with a budget cap.

Clearly there are still independent sponsors around, RoKIT and BWT but it does seem that DHL/Rolex have set the standard that event or sport level sponsorship is better value for money than team sponsorship.

So it may be that smaller teams will have to get used to smaller deals, a few million here and there and any big deal is the exception and possibly comes with an element of risk.

For me a big problem with the budget cap is that driver salary and engine development is excluded.

I get the impression that many teams are taking the view that their drivers are maybe 1/2 a second slower than say Hamilton/Verstappen and this is not enough to make it worth the risk of trying someone new.

If the cars' performances do narrow then small driver differences will start to be more valuable, and teams will become more willing to pay for these differences.

This may see drivers like Sergio Perez who are a safe pair of hands become worth £30m a year for teams with spare budget.

They may only be 1/4 of a second faster that other non very top drivers in qualifying but performance over the whole race can easily be more important then just qualifying.

Looking at Hamilton and Rosberberg/Bottas It seems clear that over a race distance drivers do make quite a difference.

So what happens if Mercedes decide to throw the £100m that they are no longer able to spend on the car on the engine? One thing that I think that we do know is that the engines are all raced at less than their maximum performance because of reliability issues.

Many exotic materials are banned in engine construction, but with an extra £100m on engine development may find that actually you can use something much more common if you only do ........

Great if you are a Merc customer, not so great if you are not.

I certainly agree that Williams look financially safe for the next couple of years with the sale of WAE, however the new ownership structure is quite confusing,

WAE has one share holder with significant control, Joule Bidco Limited with Ownership of shares – 75% or more

Joule Bidco Limited has one share holder with significant control, Joule Midco Limited - Ownership of shares – 75% or more, Ownership of voting rights - 75% or more, Right to appoint and remove directors.

Joule Midco Limited has one share holder with significant control, Joule Holdco Limited - Ownership of shares – 75% or more, Ownership of voting rights - 75% or more, Right to appoint and remove directors.

Joule Holdco Limited has one share holder with significant control, Emk Capital Gp Llp - Ownership of shares – 75% or more, Ownership of voting rights - 75% or more, Right to appoint and remove directors.

So working out how this works in reality is beyond me. :-)

Sadly Hyperbat has two significant persons

Williams Advanced Engineering Technologies Limited - Ownership of shares – More than 25% but not more than 50%, Ownership of voting rights - More than 25% but not more than 50%

Unipart Advanced Manufacturing Limited - Ownership of shares – More than 25% but not more than 50%, Ownership of voting rights - More than 25% but not more than 50%

Williams Advanced Engineering Technologies Limited has 1 active person with significant control Williams Advanced Engineering Limited - Ownership of shares – 75% or more

So much of any benefit from Hyperbat went along with the WAE sale, leaving WGPH with 25% of 50%, 12.5%?

Bye

Ian

Francesc 08 February, 2020 11:59
From F1Technical forum on the Mercedes power unit:
Quote:
-Engine has seen the largest bump in power over a winter since the start of the hybrid era, unfortunately reliability has also been at an all time low for these engines. Early spec 2 is on the cards if the problems can't be solved in time.

I really hope this improvement on hp is true.

GPL 08 February, 2020 12:05
Quote:
Francesc
Quote:
-Engine has seen the largest bump in power over a winter since the start of the hybrid era, unfortunately reliability has also been at an all time low for these engines. Early spec 2 is on the cards if the problems can't be solved in time.

Hi
Yes always good to have more HP, but i want to see a good handling nippy car foremost.

Francesc 08 February, 2020 13:00
Quote:
GPL
Quote:
Francesc
Quote:

Hi
Yes always good to have more HP, but i want to see a good handling nippy car foremost.

Yep. Every little bit helps. And I wish we bought the Mercedes gearboxes, that would be another 2-5 tenths of free improvement.

tomazy 08 February, 2020 13:29
Mercedes gearbox is not worth 0.2-0.5s. The gear changes are seemles in all gearboxes, so no impruvemen there. The only plus might be a 10kg less weight at best, witch doesnt mean much, becouse one ob the balast points on modern f1 car is on the bottom of the gearbox. So the only performance benefit is a slightly lover center of gravity, and this is not 0.2s/lap. With Mercedes gearbox Williams also looses the freedom of rear suspension geometry, what works for the Mercedes car does not mean that it works on other cars. One of the features evident on the model that Williams shown in there video is how much is the upper wishbone exposed to the clean air. This is not the case on any of the cars last year. And with an agresivne anti dive geometry (the front connection of the upper wishbone is quite a bit lover then the back one) the susspension elemen is creating downforce even if it has a nevtral crossection, becouse of the angle of attack. All this is my speculation from the model, we will have to wait for the real car if this is real. And if it is, and it givs Williams a boost in performance greater than a bit lower cg, this wouldt of been posible with a Mercedes gearbox.

Francesc 08 February, 2020 14:31
I don't know, but a carbon gearbox will weight a lot less than an alluminium. I read can't remember where that the gearbox was costing us up to half a second per lap.

Mr Brooksy 08 February, 2020 22:30
I remember that there was a very large debate on F1 technical in 2018 about the Williams gearbox, and Paddy Lowe wanting to bring the carbon cased design to Williams but at the end of the day it's all speculation about any time loss and how much if any.

If I remember, there was a quote from either Paddy or someone saying that the cost benefit of buying Merc boxes wasn't worth it.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a redesigned gearbox for '21, but this year... They've got bigger issues to correct IMHO.

GoWilliams! 10 February, 2020 20:11
https://i.redd.it/snyywl4j95g41.jpg
Saw this on Reddit.

Francesc 10 February, 2020 20:43
So it will be white, blue and red. I would have preferred black instead of white.

j-s 10 February, 2020 23:40
New livery is always nice, if only as a point of discussion. Last years' was not the best so any change is welcome. Might as well keep the sponsors happy.

Current Page: 6 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net