Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Can we Join the Midfield Party ?
Discussion started by FurryF1 , 09 January, 2020 19:57
Can we Join the Midfield Party ?
FurryF1 09 January, 2020 19:57
After digesting our performances on the track last season, I personally think we had an improved latter part of the season, and had limited battles with Racing Point and Haas, which was refreshing after our lonely start to the season at the back.
Next season I would like to think the car will improve, but with an eye on 2021 regulations I think the best we will do is close the gap on the midfield and witness more back of grid tussles.
Would love to see us get a few more points on the board and George to get in the mix, the team really deserves something for the courage they have shown last season.
What are your views - how do you think we will do ?

Re: Can we Join the Midfield Party ?
GPL 09 January, 2020 22:31
Let,s not forget we designed a fundamentally flawed car again not just a poor car.

So i hope this has been fully identified and corrected along with the wind tunnel.
and then these fixes give us about 3 seconds in performance gain.

dot_com 10 January, 2020 12:59
It’s hard to imagine that we can go from a year as bad as 2019 straight into a consistent midfield battle in 2020. I’m sure we can improve over last year, but as we all know, every other team in the field has exactly the same goal. I think a slump this big will take more than one season to rectify.

Myvatn 10 January, 2020 14:19
I hope they can continue the positive trend of the last part of 2019 and battle Haas / Alfas. Anything more than that would be definitely unexpected.

Andrew Hooper 10 January, 2020 14:49
This is the $64,000 question that until most likely the first couple of races of the season we just won't know the answer.

Testing may give us an indication but I have learnt to never place too much faith in testing times.

ihme 10 January, 2020 15:13
Quote:
GPL
and then these fixes give us about 3 seconds in performance gain.

Yeah that ain't gonna happen in 2020.

Mikef1 10 January, 2020 15:36
The answer is no. William's reckon their car this year would have been good enough to fight for points last year. That's already redundant because they will be racing faster cars this year. It's a year behind and there is no benefit to doubling down on it as the new regs kick in. Only real hope is that teams like HAAS and Racing Point spend even less on this years cars to focus on 2021

GPL 11 January, 2020 10:22
Well if we believe they have resolved the issues of 2018/2019 then a minimum of 2 seconds
should be obtainable.
3 seconds should get us in the mix.

Lets see how the new system and leaders are working.

Francesc 11 January, 2020 10:26
Quote:
Mikef1
The answer is no. William's reckon their car this year would have been good enough to fight for points last year. That's already redundant because they will be racing faster cars this year. It's a year behind and there is no benefit to doubling down on it as the new regs kick in. Only real hope is that teams like HAAS and Racing Point spend even less on this years cars to focus on 2021

Which car? The FW43?

ihme 11 January, 2020 11:12
How are we going to achieve a 2-3 secs gain through winter with the FW42 base that has already been heavily upgraded in 2019? You can keep updating a car only so much before facing its design limitations.

This would mean changing the whole aero philosophy and an entirely new car for 2020 which I don't think will happen.

GPL 11 January, 2020 12:18
kubica has stated there was a major flaw in the 42 design,and they knew straight away, after what i am guessing the 2nd day of testing they had cocked up and was on a no win situation.
Correct that major floor and get the wind tunnel and track info to align plus extra down force and i can see up to 3 seconds a lap gain.
that should see us in touch and in the rear of the mix at least then who knows.

I see it as we are going to need 2 seconds minimum.
3 seconds at best.

We have got to hope for these kind of figures else no point in posting for another year.

This is such a good forum we must remain positive be it very very difficult at times for us Williams steadfast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2020 10:58 by GPL.

AlanJones 11 January, 2020 12:46
If Williams finds 2 seconds; then yes we can join the back of the midfield pack.
Any other way; no.

https://i.ibb.co/zhmNGgW/GRDAY1header-01.png

j-s 14 January, 2020 22:54
No way.

boro1986willliamsf1 15 January, 2020 08:13
Not in 2020 as new regs kick in in 2021 I'm expecting most of the resauces been switched early to 2021 car

100% Williams
WILL SUPPORT WILLIAMS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A TEAM

GPL 15 January, 2020 11:27
What is it going to be then????

Sacrifice this season and save money for 21 but not know if they have resolved all the issues .

or

Push on with this years car to make sure the factory engineers and new procedures are all
singing from the same hymn sheet,and see the performance verified on track

In my book ii would push on as much as possible with this years car and hope that all design issues have been resolved which i would hope puts the 43 well in the midfield pack and then make sure the updates they bring work before even thinking about next year new era.

How can you have confidence and move forward if you do not trust your tools first.

That is what they have been doing these last years years and look were it has led us.

It is like running before you can walk.

Back to basics i say,and lets prove the tools work first

Mehryar 15 January, 2020 11:59
I think they have focused fully on this year car but we won't see much updates through the season regardless of how competitive the car will be!

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

j-s 16 January, 2020 15:30
I wouldn't spend much on 2020 car, as it doesn't give you much long-term benefit. Why spend 20M for what probably amounts to a 5M or 10M increase in prize money, if any? It's a financial loss.

Not only that, you make the factory concentrate on an expiring set of rules and lose sight of 2021... And every hour not spent on designing the car for the new regs is perishable and you'll never get it back. So it's a double whammy.

If Williams had money then have at it. Spend it. But they don't. So that's that.

Gunk 17 January, 2020 22:10
Well, not two seconds adrift at the back of the pack would be an improvement.

And the odd appearance in Q2 would be encouraging.

In 2018 the tunnel was flawed and last year's car hardly saw one . . . they could only really trust a bucket of flo-viz . . . so I'd hope they will do enough not to be embarrassing. I think any signs of an upturn would be good news.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net