Discussion started by Andrew Hooper , 18 February, 2020 06:43
Barcelona Testing Week 1
Andrew Hooper 18 February, 2020 06:43
Here are the driver order for the first three days of testing of the FW43:

Wednesday Thursday Friday
Russell/Latifi George Russell Nicholas Latifi

Re: Barcelona Testing Week 1
Francesc 18 February, 2020 08:05
Thanks God we're giving all the track time to our race drivers.

GPL 18 February, 2020 08:40
With only 6 days testing the teams will not have time to ease into the new cars so, we should see lots of fast lap times thrown in between regular long runs.
Plenty of action.
We should know quite quick who has got it right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/02/2020 10:33 by GPL.

tomazy 18 February, 2020 10:30
The fastet time FW42 did in testing was 1:18.130 and it did 567 laps in total. I wonder when we will brake both of those marks?

Fastest time last year on day 1 was 1:18,161
Fastest time on first real test day (4) of FW42 was 1:20,997
Fastest time overall was 1:16.221 by Ferrari
I think that those are the interesting times to watch from last years tests.

GPL 18 February, 2020 10:35
Agreed.
We need to see some high 1:16s from the 43

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/02/2020 10:47 by GPL.

Mikef1 18 February, 2020 13:25
Fixing problems the previous car had would probably help reduce the lap times, they are free gains probably worth seconds. But have they managed to fix their issues and add a second of lap time over a year of development? Doesn't seem likely.

I think anything below a 1m17 would at least show the car is a step in the right direction. This car ultimately doesn't look like it would have won races last year so getting a low 1.16 seems impossible.

If it's not breaking the 1m17s I would be worried as it either means the aero hasn't progressed or the issues are still there.

GPL 18 February, 2020 13:38
we should see some 1:14s by the top teams towards the end of testing

Mikef1 18 February, 2020 15:49
Quote:
GPL
we should see some 1:14s by the top teams towards the end of testing

Seems unfathomable but at the very least a low 1m15 you're probably right

Gwanni 18 February, 2020 21:21
Although, I am in synch with the above, we are comparing last year fastest timing, but the key question is, will these year cars will be faster than 2019, because if yes, maybe we will 1.14 or 1.15 so then a 1 .17 -1.18 will be only relatively good but yet not good enough.

Anderis 18 February, 2020 21:38
I think variables like weather and amount of rubber on the track can easily change lap times by a couple of seconds so I don't see much point in talking about exact lap times than can or can't be achieved, especially before day 1 has even started.

Mikef1 18 February, 2020 21:51
Quote:
Anderis
I think variables like weather and amount of rubber on the track can easily change lap times by a couple of seconds so I don't see much point in talking about exact lap times than can or can't be achieved, especially before day 1 has even started.

Whilst true enough, assuming temperature is within a few degrees fairly similar to last year, the track will rubber in, and the cars will do their laps, the pace will be similar. Same tyres, same regulations.

With regards to Williams. Whilst the headline time does not matter, the gap to the front needs to come down to close to a second under like for like circumstances. Otherwise it's going to be another sad season. That's why I'd secretly be hoping to see a legitimate 1.16 or so if conditions are the same as last year. (Dont think it's going to happen

GPL 18 February, 2020 22:02
Again we need to see 1:16s from George and the 43 else the team has failed to build a competitive car for this season.
it will not take long to get a sense of our pace with only 6 days testing and these stable regulations.

Anderis 19 February, 2020 00:07
Quote:
Mikef1
Whilst true enough, assuming temperature is within a few degrees fairly similar to last year, the track will rubber in, and the cars will do their laps, the pace will be similar. Same tyres, same regulations.
There are 2 fewer days of testing than last year, will it matter?

+ rain will affect rubber levels at any points if it falls.

Mr Brooksy 19 February, 2020 00:15
I want to see copious amounts of laps! Mercedes have proven year in year out that the times are important but the laps completed is more so.

If a car can lap consistently and on lots of long runs, the car theoretically is stable (one thing we have struggled with for the past few years), it's also not needing lots of adjustments (lots of time in the pits after short runs), it's reliable (remember Maclaren Honda), and doesn't have design flaws that mean lots of modifications all the time (2014 Red Bull were cutting chunks out of bodywork).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 19/02/2020 00:18 by Mr Brooksy.

dot_com 19 February, 2020 00:38
There is a voucher code for F1 TV Pro if anyone is interested - 25% off an annual subscription. Code EARLYBIRD25

Mr Brooksy 19 February, 2020 06:37
Quote:
dot_com
There is a voucher code for F1 TV Pro if anyone is interested - 25% off an annual subscription. Code EARLYBIRD25

I'd love too, but Australians don't get access to F1TV! Really annoying as we will miss all of the coverage from testing through no choice of our own...

monty3 19 February, 2020 06:50
hello guys,any link to watch for free,please

Mikef1 19 February, 2020 06:59
Quote:
Anderis
Quote:
Mikef1
There are 2 fewer days of testing than last year, will it matter?

+ rain will affect rubber levels at any points if it falls.

Maybe a tenth or so would be lost. But it wouldn't effect lap times compared to others which is what really matters.

Yes rain would reset it. I think it rained last year too though

Andrew Hooper 19 February, 2020 07:16
Yes sucks about the F1 TV in Australia.

monty3 19 February, 2020 07:28
you are still lucky andrew, at my country you need to pay even to watch koala.

Current Page: 1 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net