2020 Canadian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 18 of 19
Re: Barcelona Testing Week 2
Polemik 28 February, 2020 21:00
Mercedes engine: fifth defect on the sixth day of testing!
Williams had to be annoyed about the next Mercedes defect: It was already the fifth in the test drives - Russell: Still the slowest car

(Motorsport-Total.com) - Mercedes suffers the next defect - and again Williams has to suffer from it. The racing team had struggled with a problem with the Mercedes engines last week and was unable to utilize its full potential on the last day of the test drives in Barcelona. "We had a little problem with the engine in the afternoon," reveals George Russell.

For Mercedes , it is the fifth defect on the sixth day. The factory team itself was affected twice, and the Williams customer team three times. "Of course, that's not ideal," says Russell. "Mercedes is going to the limit and I am sure that they will go back and take a close look at everything," said the Briton, who simply heard "strange noises" before the performance slumped.

It remains to be examined exactly what it was: "I don't know if there was an official announcement," Russell shrugs. Nevertheless, he did 146 laps today.

In general, the test drives for last year's last seemed to go pretty well. Russell finished the second week of testing in tenth place overall (+0.673 seconds), team-mate Nicholas Latifi finished 16th (+1.115).

And although the numbers don't appear to be bad, Russell has little hope: "Realistically, we still have the slowest car," he fears. He does not expect to move into Q2 or even Q3 in Melbourne. "We have improved but expectations are under control," he says.

Nevertheless, the situation seems to have improved significantly compared to 2019. A year ago, Williams was late for the test and never had a chance to fight the competition all year round. "When we outperformed the car, we were still 19th," says Russell. But these times should be over.

"We have definitely reduced the gap. That was all we could hope for in the winter," said the Briton. He hopes that you can at least benefit if the competition gets into trouble.

It remains to be seen how much Williams could make up for the competition. The team knows how much you could grow yourself, but nobody knows what the competition has done. "Today we were faster than Alfa Romeo on one lap, but that doesn't count at all," says Russell. "At some point I was also ahead of Red Bull or Mercedes. Everything will show up in Melbourne."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2020 21:02 by Polemik.

MViper 28 February, 2020 21:05
Quote:
tomazy
Quote:
MViper
Quote:
tomazy
Quote:
MViper
Lads.. any hires pics of FW43 (looking for wallpaper)? smiling smiley
[www.racefans.net]

Try here 😁

Cheers!

So, did you find your Wallpaper? If so, whiche smiling smiley

Found it somewhere else grinning smiley

[imgur.com]

ROKiT Williams Racing

Mikef1 28 February, 2020 21:06
Quote:
Polemik
Mercedes engine: fifth defect on the sixth day of testing! Williams had to be annoyed about the next Mercedes defect: It was already the fifth in the test drives - Russell: Still the slowest car

(Motorsport-Total.com) - Mercedes suffers the next defect - and again Williams has to suffer from it. The racing team had struggled with a problem with the Mercedes engines last week and was unable to utilize its full potential on the last day of the test drives in Barcelona. "We had a little problem with the engine in the afternoon," reveals George Russell.

For Mercedes , it is the fifth defect on the sixth day. The factory team itself was affected twice, and the Williams customer team three times. "Of course, that's not ideal," says Russell. "Mercedes is going to the limit and I am sure that they will go back and take a close look at everything," said the Briton, who simply heard "strange noises" before the performance slumped.

It remains to be examined exactly what it was: "I don't know if there was an official announcement," Russell shrugs. Nevertheless, he did 146 laps today.

In general, the test drives for last year's last seemed to go pretty well. Russell finished the second week of testing in tenth place overall (+0.673 seconds), team-mate Nicholas Latifi finished 16th (+1.115).

And although the numbers don't appear to be bad, Russell has little hope: "Realistically, we still have the slowest car," he fears. He does not expect to move into Q2 or even Q3 in Melbourne. "We have improved but expectations are under control," he says.

Nevertheless, the situation seems to have improved significantly compared to 2019. A year ago, Williams was late for the test and never had a chance to fight the competition all year round. "When we outperformed the car, we were still 19th," says Russell. But these times should be over.

"We have definitely reduced the gap. That was all we could hope for in the winter," said the Briton. He hopes that you can at least benefit if the competition gets into trouble.

It remains to be seen how much Williams could make up for the competition. The team knows how much you could grow yourself, but nobody knows what the competition has done. "Today we were faster than Alfa Romeo on one lap, but that doesn't count at all," says Russell. "At some point I was also ahead of Red Bull or Mercedes. Everything will show up in Melbourne."

Context is everything. If you look at the raw lap times, there is no reason for alfa, haas not to be doing what Williams were doing. Every car needs quali sims and race sims. I think george is just being good pr and managing expectations. I think most cars could do a low 1.16 but there seems to be a group at the back with Williams, they are no longer lone losers.

I'd like to see the full analysis of race sims from each team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2020 21:06 by Mikef1.

tomazy 28 February, 2020 21:12
https://twitter.com/LightsOutF1Blog/status/1233452177567440898

And we had an iligal car in preseson last year.

ihme 29 February, 2020 17:08
Quote:
Mikef1

https://media0.giphy.com/media/Q3Ou3eFKMTFn2/giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c6c8b32b5f071e18dc7fafb80ef2c22157b4511b&rid=giphy.gif

GPL 01 March, 2020 11:09
Well we know now what the new car can and can not do.

There are still a couple of issues from the 42 carried over into the 43 that we may be able to cure??.

We know that the 43 development is still a way off most of it,s rivals but by saying that maybe
some of it,s rivals are at there peak of development for this era of rules, and the 43
has more room for improvement, and we may well be able to gain 2 tenths when they are gaining 1 tenth in pace if you see what i mean.

I know it is a lot to ask but we need .5 of a second extra pace and just maybe with all the new data we have got on the new car over pre testing they might get lucky and bring a fix or upgrade over the next 4 races that give us just that.

[b]Lets see now how well the new Factory operations are performing[

Mikef1 01 March, 2020 12:11
Quote:
GPL
Well we know now what the new car can and can not do.
There are still a couple of issues from the 42 carried over into the 43 that we may be able to cure??.

We know that the 43 development is still a way off most of it,s rivals but by saying that maybe
some of it,s rivals are at there peak of development for this era of rules, and the 43
has more room for improvement, and we may well be able to gain 2 tenths when they are gaining 1 tenth in pace if you see what i mean.

I know it is a lot to ask but we need .5 of a second extra pace and just maybe with all the new data we have got on the new car over pre testing they might get lucky and bring a fix or upgrade over the next 4 races that give us just that.

[b]Lets see now how well the new Factory operations are performing[

All comes down to money at the end of the day. We have to build a new car for next season, but if the car is close to the points paying positions maybe papa Latifi pumps some extra money in.

It would not surprise me if we see one upgrade at Barcelona then full focus to 2021

MViper 01 March, 2020 13:07
Lads, I don't get 1 thing..

FW42 had it's issues which could not be resolved during the season. If it could she would be decent midfielder. But it's based on FW41 which was a bit s**t. AFAIK, FW40/38 were low drag concept which worked well for a while. Then they wanted to develop her into a bit more mechanically sound concept and they failed big time.

The question is.. since FW43 is heavily based on FW42 and FW42 is based on FW41.. how much development room is actually available on FW43? Or is this car so obsolete that she isn't worth much of the resources?

ROKiT Williams Racing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2020 15:58 by MViper.

AlanJones 01 March, 2020 13:14
Quote:
MViper
FW42 has it's issues which could not be resolved during the season. If it could she would be decent midfielder. But it's based on FW41 which was a bit s**t. AFAIK, FW40/38 were low drag concept which worked well for a while. Then they wanted to develop her into a bit more mechanically sound concept and they failed big time.

The question is.. since FW43 is heavily based on FW42 and FW42 is based on FW41.. how much development room is actually available on FW43? Or is this car so obsolete that she isn't worth much of the resources?

It is still a long way to regular point finish. The 43 is better than before, but still one of the slowest of the bunch. Yet the 43 does show Williams did come on top of the issues of the 42.
It is now the sensible choice to shift focus to the 44 after just a couple of races. So in essence to your question: I think there is room for improvement of the 43, yet it wouldn't be sensible to hunt that down.

https://i.ibb.co/zhmNGgW/GRDAY1header-01.png

GPL 01 March, 2020 13:16
That is a very good question

We only know what is possible from this set of rules and regulations and that is with the
same engine a car can go over 2 seconds a lap faster.

MViper 01 March, 2020 16:05
AJ: Cheers.

It would be interesting to see what would be the ceiling of FW43 with aggresive development. Would she make it to Q3?

So, the team finally got to the bottom of FW42 issues. More or less. So I guess we can hope for a decent 2021 car. I hope there's enough resources available to develop something cunning like double diffusor back in the day..

GPL: Yeah.. I'm wondering what would happen if team could release cured FW4B last year should the rules would allow it.

ROKiT Williams Racing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2020 20:58 by MViper.

Gwanni 01 March, 2020 16:35

tomazy 01 March, 2020 17:35
Another good wallpaper canditate (Sm93)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ESBVEv7WkAEnPG8?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ER2hKh3XYAIJ4Lp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2020 19:36 by tomazy.

Mikef1 01 March, 2020 20:37
Quote:
MViper
FW42 had it's issues which could not be resolved during the season. If it could she would be decent midfielder. But it's based on FW41 which was a bit s**t. AFAIK, FW40/38 were low drag concept which worked well for a while. Then they wanted to develop her into a bit more mechanically sound concept and they failed big time.

It is a good question and the answer is that it's simply possible to do what other teams are doing. The fw41, 42 and now 43 are all based on the right aero concept with regards to the front suspension, and high inlet sidepods. Everything else is just a difference of well executed packaging and aerodynamics vs Williams' worse solutions. The foundations have been correct, but the execution has been left wanting. Any component that is making another car go faster is because they have done a better job in the design office. At this point, it's probably not possible to go for a narrow nose but the work on bargeboards, front wing, rear packaging, floor and diffuser are variables Williams can improve over the season which is where other teams are finding time.

They are on the right path, but they need to refine their concept. The frustrating thing with Williams is that they haven't been going about things obviously wrong, they've had the right ideas but haven't been able to make them work.

monty3 02 March, 2020 01:53
we will fight Haas,Alpha Touri n Alfa Romeo. im very sure for it. Game on Melbourne!!!!

GPL 02 March, 2020 08:44
I think those teams you state still have better pace than us for the start of the season anyway.
Not by much at all 2 to 3 th. but that is enough to pull away if they get in front of us, but not enough
if they get stuck behind??

I don,t think we are on top of our tires yet either i think our wear rate is higher than others from what i could see in testing.

Mikef1 02 March, 2020 08:58
Carlos sainz said the Mercedes cars were all running with a detuned engine on the quali sims. That Mercedes lost 3 tenths on the straights compared to their previous best effort.

Suggests Williams could have gone faster without PU issues

GPL 02 March, 2020 09:30
Then maybe we can have a go at those 3.

It is just i am getting get the feeling that George seems to have lowered his expectations from being positive of getting into Q2 to being a struggle to get into Q2

Seems he knows more than us and the 43 has fallen a bit short on projections maybe???.

GPL 02 March, 2020 11:01
On another note i can see 5 teams realistically fighting for wins and podiums on a regular basis, this season if it goes ahead

Merc of course
Red Bull
Ferrari
McLaren
Racing Point.

Mikef1 02 March, 2020 13:09
Quote:
GPL
Then maybe we can have a go at those 3.
It is just i am getting get the feeling that George seems to have lowered his expectations from being positive of getting into Q2 to being a struggle to get into Q2

Seems he knows more than us and the 43 has fallen a bit short on projections maybe???.

George will say what the team tells him to say. He has to manage a lot of expectations. Ultimately, I dont think this car fell short, it's just that other teams have made incredible progress despite it being the last year of these regulations. If you add those missing 3 tenths to the lap time, Williams found almost seconds in refinement and better r&d from last year.

Current Page: 18 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net