Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
O/T Coronavirus and F1
Discussion started by Stuart L , 25 February, 2020 11:49
O/T Coronavirus and F1
Stuart L 25 February, 2020 11:49
I thought I’d post this topic, and try to make it a sensitive topic given the threat of pandemic. I think this virus is going to have real implications for F1;

1) Chinese Grand Prix postponed....

2) significant outbreak in Northern Italy not at all far from Maranello. I wonder how many Ferrari employees live in the quarantine zone. Probably not many but if Milan gets quarantined?

3) we could see other events being postponed, or held behind closed doors with empty grandstands to stop convergence of crowds?

4) which team could suffer a big outbreak at its HQ...it could shut them down for weeks....meaning they miss races / get miles behind on 2021 development. Could 2021 rules changes be deferred for a year.

5) which car company withdraws from the sport due to sales falls arising from Coronavirus? I think Renault and maybe Honda. February sales on China were down 94%!

6. Could a driver get it...they meet so many people, fly so much...

3,4,5,6 above haven’t happened yet....but we all crystal ball gaze and they are all quite feasible.

Wishing you all well if this virus is in your country...just a matter of time before we all get it I think.

Re: O/T Coronavirus and F1
Gwanni 25 February, 2020 13:50
I have paid a deposit for a sporting event held in Turin this May, and then this news. The situation is quite chaotic at the moment so the risks are there. The only hope is that the vaccine will be available and by May-June, temperature will rise and the virus will stop or be contained.

Rear Wing 1 25 February, 2020 14:38
Now I am hearing news that the Coronavirus could affect the Australian GP, word is going around that the Melbourne GP could be cancelled because of the Coronavirus (Sm17)

AlanJones 25 February, 2020 15:00
Realistically, virologist have explained about an estimated 40 to 60 percent of the world's population will be infected with the virus in the upcoming year. Most of us, in that case, will feel a slight cold. Perhaps some flu with a fever. But will recover without medication.

Yet the last word is very important; medication. It appears scientist are on the verge of a medical treatment for this type of Corona virus. SARS was the last well known pandemic virus which was also a Corona species.
If a medical treatment is in place, then there should be no worries anymore. Only if you are above 60 and/or in I'll health, then there is reason to worry.

https://i.ibb.co/zhmNGgW/GRDAY1header-01.png

Rear Wing 1 27 February, 2020 13:34
I'm hearing more noise that the Coronavirus could affect the Australian GP.

Stuart L 27 February, 2020 22:40
I think F1 is putting its head in the sand. Lots of events are being cancelled. I think there’s a fair chance the OZ GP could be postponed. F1 May need to find an interim solution to run races behind closed doors with smaller race teams and no spectators if it wants races over the next few months.

The world stock market has lost 10% of its value in the last 6 days...they are pricing in v difficult times and that’s before the WHO decides whether to call this a pandemic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/02/2020 22:40 by Stuart L.

Andrew Hooper 02 March, 2020 03:44
Well MotoGP has cancelled their Qatar event, mind you Moto2 and 3 are still going ahead as they were testing there anyway.

F1 should be making a similar decision very soon. I would like to see the Australian GP go ahead but its got to the stage where safe travel arrangements seem impossible to make.

I would hate to think of the virus been further introduced into Australia for the sake of a F1 event.

Rear Wing 1 02 March, 2020 07:29
I'm now hearing reports the Australian GP will go ahead.

SydneyF1Fan 02 March, 2020 10:47
Agree, I think the Oz GP will go ahead as only 2 weeks away, only a very small number of contained cases here at the moment and teams will just overcome any quarantine restrictions.

However, I think all future events will be at risk once the virus and spectator caution escalates and promoters/authorities put tougher risk management measures in place.

I think the Tokyo Olympics are gone too and once that happens all bets are off.

The 2020 F1 season could be a complete write off with the results determined by the Oz GP. Could be Williams' big chance!!

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

SydneyF1Fan 08 March, 2020 02:35
Northern Italy now in lock down.

Based on a quick Google, I believe Maranello is in the "red" no-leave zone. If so, could be a major impact to Ferrari personnel and equipment:

[twitter.com]

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Myvatn 08 March, 2020 06:46
Quote:
SydneyF1Fan
Northern Italy now in lock down.
Based on a quick Google, I believe Maranello is in the "red" no-leave zone. If so, could be a major impact to Ferrari personnel and equipment:

[twitter.com]
Yes. But in addition to Ferrari, 1/5 of the population and a huge percentage of the country’s industries are there - hard to say now what the effects will be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 07:00 by Myvatn.

SehnKhan 08 March, 2020 09:47
Bahrain now to go ahead without spectators.

Rear Wing 1 08 March, 2020 10:01
Wow this is looking really bad for the 2020 Formula 1 season.

Also have you guys noticed how there is no toilet paper on all the supermarket shelves?

Stuart L 08 March, 2020 12:30
Well it looks like northern Italy teams are having a more disrupted pre season than others with the virus.

To be clear Australia appear Eilliams to
Let these teams / people in, but more pertinent is will Italy let them out to go!

If they don’t arrive in Oz due to an Italian state decision my view is tough @#$%& and the teams that do turn up should get points for doing so.

Reality is much of first half of the season will be races held behind closed doors without spectators

Myvatn 08 March, 2020 12:39
Quote:
Stuart L
Well it looks like northern Italy teams are having a more disrupted pre season than others with the virus.
To be clear Australia appear Eilliams to
Let these teams / people in, but more pertinent is will Italy let them out to go!

If they don’t arrive in Oz due to an Italian state decision my view is tough @#$%& and the teams that do turn up should get points for doing so.

Reality is much of first half of the season will be races held behind closed doors without spectators
I think there’s no way Italy will block Ferrari’s equipment/people. As I said, the involved zone has a 12 million people population and is the most economically active in the country - it would be like blocking London in the UK.

What the receiving countries will do is a different matter and I don’t see other GPs being performed soon after Bahrain.

CLOVERLEAF 888 08 March, 2020 12:54

Mehryar 08 March, 2020 13:29
Tbh as much as I love to see the season go ahead with all the races, I think both F1 teams and host countries are taking a big risk and not take this virus as serious as they should.

It's a much more aggressive virus compared with flu, has a death rate of 2% and incubation period of 14days which makes it nearly impossible to check the travelers are safe or not before the first signs reveal.

Big risk being taken there, specially in Oz.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Rear Wing 1 08 March, 2020 13:57
Quote:
Mehryar
Tbh as much as I love to see the season go ahead with all the races, I think both F1 teams and host countries are taking a big risk and not take this virus as serious as they should.
It's a much more aggressive virus compared with flu, has a death rate of 2% and incubation period of 14days which makes it nearly impossible to check the travelers are safe or not before the first signs reveal.

Big risk being taken there, specially in Oz.

I agree with this, I don't want people bringing this damn virus to Australia...I think they should call the Australian GP off...Call it off now!

SydneyF1Fan 08 March, 2020 18:44
We're all going to get COVID-19 - just a matter of when. I think Australian GP will just get away with it. Sure, some risk of people traveling here with it, but equally a lot of people not flying and will choose to cancel their trips. So will be a lot of local spectators and fairly contained here at the moment, but it will explode in the next few months.

Of the overseas visitors, Chinese, Koreans, Iranians and Italians will have a hard time getting in (even if they're allowed to leave their countries).

I personally think USA is one of the highest risk countries at the moment, with Trump and cronies refusing to take it seriously and infections totally under-reported. Fortunately not a huge number of US F1 fans and, of those, not many who would fly out to Oz (or likely to cancel trips if booked).

After Oz though, I think we going to see a lot of empty grandstands and cancelled races. It doesn't matter what you think about this virus, authorities around the world will take drastic measures to contain it, particularly because of its huge toll on elderly people, like politicians and their parents!

Rear Wing 1 11 March, 2020 13:10
Just how bad is this Coronavirus anyway like is it really that bad???

I think there are hundreds of people who get it and they only have it for how long 2 or 3 weeks and then they get over it and they don't die.

The media and a lot of people are talking about this Coronavirus like it is a death sentence and I am pretty sure it is NOT!

Is it really any worse than a common cold??? I don't think it is, it is just the media making a big thing of it.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net