Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: O/T Coronavirus and F1
CLOVERLEAF 888 19 March, 2020 13:11
I think your missing the point to some degree Boro. Yes we lose loads of people to flu every year that seems to go somewhat unnoticed but surely we have at some point got to fight back and try and do something. Why allow another virus to kill millions. Italy has been devistated. Other countries less so. But even one death is one death too many. Surely

Myvatn 19 March, 2020 13:34
Quote:
boro1986willliamsf1
I'm sick to death of all this mass hysteria over this virus yes it's new yes there's no cure but influenza is not new kill quite a few,cancer kill loads,HIV kills,heart failure kill people yet because this is fashionable everybody is in hysterics over it sorry rant over
(OT) Yesterday night in Bergamo (a medium-sized city in Northern Italy, the biggest city in the hardest hit province - so far...) the military had to send trucks to collect coffins. It was impossible to get the bodies cremated locally, such is the number of the dead in the last days.
The situation is untenable there, and other provinces could potentially end in the same situation. Imagine if this was the case for a whole country. Countermeasures are harsh - I am confined in 40 m2, unable to see relatives and friends and to go out (if not for buying food), and will likely have to stay confined for some weeks still. But the alternative is really worse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/03/2020 13:35 by Myvatn.

Mehryar 19 March, 2020 13:53
Quote:
boro1986willliamsf1
I'm sick to death of all this mass hysteria over this virus yes it's new yes there's no cure but influenza is not new kill quite a few,cancer kill loads,HIV kills,heart failure kill people yet because this is fashionable everybody is in hysterics over it sorry rant over

Influenza can infect 2-3 people in a room, Corona upto 14.Flu has a death rate of 0.5%, coronavirus upto 4%.Flu has some known medicines, Corona until now, doesn't have any.

It's 100% more dangerous and even if not, why should we not care about spread of another dangerous virus?

The bigger effect of this virus will be on people's business and life.If you were living in countries with big number of cases, you would feel how it destroys a business within a blink of an eye.Something that kills more people than the virus itself in coming years.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

boro1986willliamsf1 19 March, 2020 14:18
Do your research you could drop down dead today from heart failure this virus according to w.h.o has killed 8000 people compared to influenza which has killed in the region of 100,000 people world wide since it became known in October/November 2019 nobody panics over influenza I was speaking to a nhs worker who said the vast majority will get something mild the ones who get it bad will be the ones who get bad influenza with under lying health problems not the common man in 1919 a strain of influenza killed more people than in the ww1yet do we morn those that died then erm nope we morn those that died in 1914-18 war which killed less

100% Williams
WILL SUPPORT WILLIAMS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A TEAM

Myvatn 19 March, 2020 14:36
Quote:
boro1986willliamsf1
Do your research you could drop down dead today from heart failure this virus according to w.h.o has killed 8000 people compared to influenza which has killed in the region of 100,000 people world wide since it became known in October/November 2019 nobody panics over influenza I was speaking to a nhs worker who said the vast majority will get something mild the ones who get it bad will be the ones who get bad influenza with under lying health problems not the common man in 1919 a strain of influenza killed more people than in the ww1yet do we morn those that died then erm nope we morn those that died in 1914-18 war which killed less
So, following your reasoning, we should go on and allow that huge tragedy to repeat itself? I agree that at some point, if the restrictive measures are proven to be ineffective, it is likely that the decision will be to go on somehow - but until then there are no alternative paths.

In any case, comparing it to flu is just plain denial. Have you read my post? In the heaviest hit places in Italy they had in a few weeks the same number of dead than in a "normal" year.

Also - if you let the health care system to completely collapse, it will not be able to assist the "common man" when he breaks his leg, has a (otherwise curable) heart attack, or any other health issue requiring treatment...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/03/2020 15:13 by Myvatn.

speed 19 March, 2020 15:20
The reaction is to flatten the curve, & not let the health care system collapse. We may be fine now, but if you have maybe asthma, high BP, other lifestyle diseases, with corona they could be fatal.

The other thing, this probably is new, which is why little is known. So following the - prevention is better than cure, principle.

Mehryar 19 March, 2020 18:34
Uk has invited Mclaren, Williams, Redbull and Mercedes to offer their help on medical ground to fight with Coronavirus.

Stu69 19 March, 2020 18:46
Quote:
Mehryar
Uk has invited Mclaren, Williams, Redbull and Mercedes to offer their help on medical ground to fight with Coronavirus.

Hey Mehryar, that is great news! Companies with brains like these have will be a help!

First hand experience today. A guy I do business with let in for a £15k bad dept. It’s just the start. Credit is a thing of the past for a while at least!!

rpaloschi 19 March, 2020 19:55
Quote:
speed
The reaction is to flatten the curve, & not let the health care system collapse. We may be fine now, but if you have maybe asthma, high BP, other lifestyle diseases, with corona they could be fatal.
The other thing, this probably is new, which is why little is known. So following the - prevention is better than cure, principle.

This, 100x this. A virus that spread so fast and overloads the health care system of a coutry can be fought if not everyone gets the disease at the same time, such a simple thing and you dont kill your farher or grandpa. No brainer ia to deny that in my honest and very modest opinion.

Stu69 19 March, 2020 22:04
Thats Monaco cancelled!

j-s 20 March, 2020 20:49
My thoughts and prayers to those who are losing family and friends. Truly horrible. Who cares about sports, really, when there is so much more at stake here.

Be well everyone. Stay safe, stay inside and adjust your habits accordingly. It makes a difference.

Gunk 21 March, 2020 06:02
Quote:
j-s
Stay safe, stay inside and . . . .

Stay alone, it would appear. Interesting to read about the Italian researchers who believe they have identified 'patient one' - which became nearly 40,000 four weeks later. Actually, a German who met a girl from Shanghai in Milan.

Now I'm inclined to believe that there will not be a single race this year. Staying alone - or in newspeak, 'social distancing', will probably be necessary to the end of the year or we simply overwhelm the healthcare system.

Stu69 21 March, 2020 10:21
Yes Gunk this year is a write off I recon. Get designing FW44 but then maybe just all save the cash, freeze designing now, and race this years cars next year.

SydneyF1Fan 22 March, 2020 05:44
Yep, I think F1 is a write off this year. Online racing could be a bit of fun to watch though. Perhaps Williams can win that championship!!

I guess we'll just have to content ourselves with watching the Olympics. All systems go on that front!! (Ha! Ha!)

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Gunk 22 March, 2020 15:34
It's probably the dependence on air travel that will kill this season as much as anything. You really can't do any 'social distancing' in the sardine can. And I expect flight and border restrictions to stay in place for some time after countries have reached their individual peaks.

Marco Cardoso 22 March, 2020 16:59
I dont understand how people worry about sports atm, this virus as the potential to destroy jobs and economies in a never seen scale, and people are worried about football and who wins the championships and other sports like F1.
What worries me is to see people going around this virus like it's just a flu, like Trumps and Bolsonaros!
Stay home and be safe.

https://goo.gl/images/VESYsm

Anderis 22 March, 2020 19:25
Quote:
Marco Cardoso
I dont understand how people worry about sports atm
Some people simply love sport.

Why wouldn't you worry about things you love? Yes, there are other, some may judge, much more important issues, but cancelling sport events still sucks enough to be concerned.

And you know, some people even do sport-related jobs for living. Sportsmen, coaches, TV reporters & crew, journalists, workers of betting companies etc. There's a lot of revenue being lost here and potentially a lot of jobs affected.

There are dozens of young sportsmen around the world who could've had a career breakthrough in 2020 but the events are getting cancelled and these men and women will never be able to show what they're capable of- possibly losing their chance of becoming a pro in the thing they're passionate about. There's somewhere a person who has always dreamed to be a sports reporter but will not get an opportunity because all of the events have been cancelled.

Sport is much more than a leisure activity these days.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 22/03/2020 19:29 by Anderis.

Mehryar 22 March, 2020 19:44
Baku wants cancellation and it will be official soon.

Anyway there are some virtual racing going on.that was fun to watch as our drivers were Latifi and Hulk in first 2 races of Bahrain.

IanSmithISA 23 March, 2020 06:58
Good morning,

A moral and social obligation question.

The UK government announced a closing of pubs, cafes, restaurants, gyms late on Friday just gone to "on premises business".

Although there is some doubt that they actually have the power to do so nearly all such businesses have complied. The plan seems to be to use licencing and anti social behaviour laws in a way that they were almost certainly not intended to be used.

It is likely that they will pass new law this week to ensure that they do have such power.

Many of these types of business are going to offer a take away service.

These type of business mostly fall into 3 categories, one/two man owned with 1-10 staff, chain owned and run by a national sized business and a leased model where a large company owns the building and the branding but the people running the operation are not employees and the business is typically the size of the one/two man owned business.

So how much obligation does a regular customer have to support these businesses?

For example my regular pub sells a bottled cider for £3.50 and the local supermarket the same bottle for £2.00 or £1.5 each if you buy 4 bottles.

It also sells cask ale, something that supermarkets do not, but cask ale really needs to be drank on the day it is bought if you get it as a takeaway from a hand pump. So if the pub price is £3.50 a pint should you expect a discount as you are drinking it at home?

If the term cask ale is meaningless to you, here's an explanation. :-) [www.fullers.co.uk]

So the question is should I pay the extra as I want the business to still be there when the panic dies down?

I would expect any business that has been established for a while to have built up reserves to allow a month or two's closure. Although COVID-19 was not predictable, that there might be some big issue at some point in time was.

In terms of business continuity insurance the current opinion is that most business continuity insurance will not cover the consequences of a disease that was not specified on the policy and COVID-19 will not be specified as covered on most possibly all policies.

Bye

Ian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/03/2020 07:24 by IanSmithISA.

SydneyF1Fan 23 March, 2020 09:12
Same in Australia, Ian.

All non-essential businesses closed and massive dole queues today.

Economic disaster on a massive scale.

All in the name of social distancing. We had no choice after packed beaches, pubs and restaurants and rapidly spreading virus.

I'm lucky so far, but it's going to be 6 months plus of deep recession and social dislocation which will take years to recover from.

Stay safe and sane everyone!

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net