Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: O/T Coronavirus and F1
Marco Cardoso 23 March, 2020 10:09
In Portugal it's the same, only essencial services are still open like supermarkets and people have to enter in small numbers at a time, also the banks keep open but only for online transactions and atm's.
The country is in state of emergency so we just have to complie.

https://goo.gl/images/VESYsm

rpaloschi 23 March, 2020 12:14
Lots of people complainig about the economy being ruined, and that ia true. But better a ruined economy than nothing at all at the end. Hard but only choice.

dot_com 23 March, 2020 12:48
Azerbaijan officially canceled 😩😩

Gunk 23 March, 2020 15:50
Maybe it will simply accelerate a change that's already taking place.

Online shopping has been killing high streets for years now and online banking is the norm. Travel is very largely a self-booking affair - flights and hotels.

I find closing schools interesting. Many teachers I know are busy with online lessons and lectures - and my daughter has been online getting a degree with the Open University for the last two years.

Probably lots more examples . . .

Damon96 23 March, 2020 18:42
Quote:
Gunk
Maybe it will simply accelerate a change that's already taking place.
Online shopping has been killing high streets for years now and online banking is the norm. Travel is very largely a self-booking affair - flights and hotels.

I find closing schools interesting. Many teachers I know are busy with online lessons and lectures - and my daughter has been online getting a degree with the Open University for the last two years.

Probably lots more examples . . .

I tend to think it might go the opposite way, once the lock down is over I think people will want that face to face contact back and probably in the short term will show some solidarity to the high street shops that supported their staff.

Also places like AirB&B are losing a lot of properties as people look to long term rents so it could be 12 months + till they are back to normal.

Long term, in 24 months though people will have probably forgotten it all and yeah then go back to the growing trend for online. Of course this all depends how many companies make it through and can recover. There will be a huge amount of stock just sat unsold that will take time to sell on or just get scrapped in six months or so.

Stu69 25 March, 2020 06:54
If anyone has flights with Ryanair booked in the next few months, they are now refunding.
Also booking.com being reasonable with zero refund bookings. They gave me 100% back despite the booking having no refund available at time of booking.

CLOVERLEAF 888 25 March, 2020 16:07
thanks for the info Stu.... Claim now put in...

CLOVERLEAF 888 25 March, 2020 16:12
Now I know there are more important things to deal with atm but I had an idea about F1 as lets face it the season will be decimated . I was thinking maybe since the regs are staying the same next year why not just make 2020 (what ever is possible if at all) season and 2021 into one season.. What I thought is those circuits that lost races this year could have 2 shorter races next year.. One on a Saturday and one on a Sunday... I think that would work and prove popular with fans even if we lose the whole of 2020 . Anyway just something that came into my head.... Stay safe everyone...

CLOVERLEAF 888 26 March, 2020 11:23
Hows everybody doing?

Marco , have you had to cancel your wedding?

Marco Cardoso 26 March, 2020 16:24
Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888
Hows everybody doing?
Marco , have you had to cancel your wedding?

Yes, I postponed it to september 27, cause I had everything paid, and, for now I was only refunded for the hotel and the rent a car, the flight was booked in Ryanair and due to the flight status still being confirmed to the 24th of may they still won't give me the money back.
I'm still unsure about the new date but I had to postpone, many guest were over 60yo and I don't want to risk it.
In Portugal people are still in quarentine at least until the 2nd of March, but that date will surely be extended because we are still in a mitigation fase of the virus.
Our constitution only allow for state of emergency for 2 weeks and then the President can extend it again.

CLOVERLEAF 888 26 March, 2020 19:12
yeah thought you would have to cancel it Marco :-( shame that but for the best....
Glad your getting some of your money back and hopefully Ryanair will come good soon.... Think they are moving through the dates slowly week by week... We have just been able to claim off our Ryanair flights for the second week of April...

Good luck with that.... stay safe …..

SydneyF1Fan 27 March, 2020 08:41
Sorry to hear Marco, but the upside is you're a single man for another 6 months! If only you were allowed to go down the pub with the boys!!

Traveling OK "down under". We're all in self-isolation like the rest of the world, but not in full lock down quite yet. Only a matter of time.

Fortunately I work in financial services, so still have a job and am incredibly busy in the current volatility. A lot of people out of work though and it's going to be a very challenging six months plus ahead.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

IanSmithISA 27 March, 2020 11:19
Good morning,

I am starting to become worried that politicians, at least in the UK, have made so many commitments and there is such a gravy train starting to build around COVID-19 that emergency measures will remain long after they are needed.

In the UK the government has promised to pay 80% of the salary of employees laid off because of it, and 80% of the profits of many self employed, both capped at £2,500 per month.

Today the government asked the population to stop selling houses unless it was contractually impossible not to finish an existing deal.

IF it turns out to be safe to go back to normal by the end of April, I suspect that emergency measures may be extended so as to "not jump the gun".

At the moment most journalists in the UK are pumping out the party-line, but they would forget that in an instant and demand to know why the most draconian measures in the last ...... we ever allowed to happen.

Equally there has been very little supervision of the governments action by Members of Parliament, who would also be subject to the above criticism.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that there not is a significant virus out there, but that the measures taken are extreme.

Bye

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/03/2020 12:39 by IanSmithISA.

Marco Cardoso 27 March, 2020 13:29
Quote:
IanSmithISA
IF it turns out to be safe to go back to normal by the end of April, I suspect that emergency measures may be extended so as to "not jump the gun.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that there not is a significant virus out there, but that the measures taken are extreme.

I guess it's the same around almost every country about now, except for south american ones who seem to think this virus won't get to them, a bit like the US was until last week or so.

Anyway in Portugal the previsions of life getting back to normal..ish are to the beggining of June, and we started to have cases about a week before the UK so, probably we're in the same boat more or less.

Still, there are lots of unknows and this can longer than what governaments expected.

Just heard that Boris Jonhson is also infected, despite not being a bog fan of him I hope he gets through this well.

Stay safe

Marco

monty3 27 March, 2020 14:49
.....and now,your proud of pound,dollar,euro is nothing!!!!

Stu69 27 March, 2020 22:27
[quote IanSmithISA]Good morning,

I am starting to become worried that politicians, at least in the UK, have made so many commitments and there is such a gravy train starting to build around COVID-19 that emergency measures will remain long after they are needed.

Today the government asked the population to stop selling houses unless it was contractually impossible not to finish an existing deal.

IF it turns out to be safe to go back to normal by the end of April, I suspect that emergency measures may be extended so as to "not jump the gun".

At the moment most journalists in the UK are pumping out the party-line, but they would forget that in an instant and demand to know why the most draconian measures in the last ...... we ever allowed to happen.

Equally there has been very little supervision of the governments action by Members of Parliament, who would also be subject to the above criticism.

Bye

Ian[/quote

That’s great Ian until it directly affects you or your family! Then you might want more extreme measures, 900 people died in Italy today!

SydneyF1Fan 28 March, 2020 00:40
Government in Australia is setting expectations for six months of turbulence.

Hopefully that's conservative, but I think people should have that horizon in mind. End of April.is very optimistic in my view.

China took extreme measures for three months and is only just coming though the other side. However now starting to experience secondary infections, which they need to clamp down on.

The western world, especially the US, has been slower to put isolation measures in place and, even if they step them up, won't be as extreme and ruthless as China.

I fear it's going to be tragic watching US deaths skyrocket in the next few weeks, along with other hotspots in the world.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

IanSmithISA 28 March, 2020 04:16
Good morning,

That’s great Ian until it directly affects you or your family! Then you might want more extreme measures, 900 people died in Italy today!

That is an excellent example of what I mean.

Italy reports the death of anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19 as a COVID-19 death, regardless of the cause of death. This is why Italy is reporting a 10% death rate which is way above that reported by other countries.

Using other countries death reporting criteria that 900, is likely to be 180.

At the moment the consensus amongst the UK media is that they don't want to discuss the consequences of the stay at home policy. Instead they are enjoying making lots of self important and self righteous "news" articles about 5 cars driving to a national park so the owners can walk their dog.

There have been a few cruise ships with COVID-19 outbreaks, these are surely a great basis for detailed documentaries and discussions on likely infection rates amongst a population. Such a program might prove the government's policy as being correct or support the much derided paper from Prof Sunetra Gupta that suggested that half the UK population has already been infected.

Of course facts would get in the way of the "Industry".

Even during the two Gulf Wars the UK media were making an effort to be informative, now they have adopted such a propaganda tone that they are impossible to listen to, even when they are conveying real information.

If you look at Trump he has just decided to invoke some old piece of law to require GM to make ventilators and is moaning that GM want to be paid properly for doing so.

Its not that long since Boris Johnson attempted to close a parliamentary session early and leave parliament closed for 5 weeks so that he could avoid detailed scrutiny of the UK/EU separation bill.

A move that was overturned not by politicians who were whinging about, but by a private citizen going to court.

Whenever governments start grabbing power in this way and everybody says that fine and it becomes unpatriotic/stupid/etc to question the government it is time to worry.

Are you old enough to remember when AIDS was first recognised and how that unfolded?

Or what about, from the Daily Telegraph [www.telegraph.co.uk]

Police chiefs are urging snoopers to use online “hotlines” to snitch on neighbours who are breaching the Government’s coronavirus lockdown.

and
....Police chiefs, however, also urged snoopers to apply commonsense after receiving calls from people demanding officers come and arrest a neighbour for “going on a second run” in a day and another calling for urgent action against a neighbour apparently driving off for the day.

We may very well have seen the first of the Zombie Companies (those that have been surviving, but with only a little hope for recovery), close down, Carluccio’s an Italian restaurant chain losing possibly 2,000 jobs.

Like a lot of pubs and restaurants and other businesses it had not made the quarter's rent payments. INTU the owner of about a dozen large shopping centres who were already in trouble, look likely to be tipped over by non payments. The trouble is INTU was a £5bn company mostly owned by you and me via our pensions.

Once being confronted with the details, job losses as high as 1 million jobs are being talked about, while that is probably over the top simply ignoring it as a price worth paying seems strange.

Bye

Ian

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 28/03/2020 06:26 by IanSmithISA.

Stu69 28 March, 2020 07:06
Ian people are dying from this virus and we are only at the beginning! Wake up!!

rpaloschi 28 March, 2020 08:28
Oh, the denial... every time I see human lifes being compared to the economy as if there is a point to have an economy without those human lifes, it confirms how sick we are as a society. The disaster is already there, the difference will be amount of lifes lost to take part in whatever we call economy after this.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net