First 8 races if season announced
Discussion started by GroveF1 , 02 June, 2020 10:34
First 8 races if season announced
GroveF1 02 June, 2020 10:34
Official confirmation starts on July 5th

[www.skysports.com]

Re: First 8 races if season announced
Andrew Hooper 12 June, 2020 06:56
From a source inside Williams the team will not be doing any testing in preparation for the return of racing.

Stu69 13 June, 2020 07:16
Quote:
Andrew Hooper
From a source inside Williams the team will not be doing any testing in preparation for the return of racing.

Usual Williams madness! I mean exactly why wouldn’t you want to test?? “Fully funded to the end of the year” says Claire! Or perhaps not!!

IanSmithISA 13 June, 2020 11:02
Good morning,

Are you being a bit harsh here? :-)

Those running tests are using 2018 cars as there isn't an official test session where they can use current cars.

Maybe Williams don't have any 2018 cars readily available to them, we might assume that Merc would be generous with power unit supply but even so they would want something even it just covers Mercs costs.

It may be that Merc had to make/refurbish some power units and Williams didn't want to commit a while back when that decision needed to be made. Williams would have known about RokIT funding or lack if it, if indeed that was the issue.

If the cost of getting 2018 cars on track for testing was say £2m then that is suddenly a noticeable cost, no RokIT money (possibly), no title sponsor this year (probable and possible for next year) and reduced constructors prize money in 2021.

£2m isn't a lot if you need to have at least 2 power units (or go testing and hope for no problems) possibly make some new parts for the car as the ones on the 2018 cars have reached time or mileage limits and the suppliers for a vital part are closed for COVID 19. Added to this it may mean bring staff back from furlough and the loss of salary support.

Fully funded can mean quite a lot including nothing left over.

I agree that is isn't ideal, but better to keep the money for absolute essentials.

Bye

Ian

GroveF1 13 June, 2020 13:23
Did Williams not use the 2018 cars/ promotional days at the start of the year? Mind you now with rokit gone what exactly would they promote apart from a selling agent description of the team emblazoned all over the car?

Stu69 13 June, 2020 17:29
Maybe harsh Ian. You might be right! Perhaps the Rokit stickers won’t peel off!! Just not flippin ideal though and a bit of a measure of how far we have fallen.

It would be great PR to come out all guns blazing rather than shrinking down! Show a buyer what is for sale. Whack Canon on the rear wing! A one off PR stunt!

Ozzy Osbone 15 June, 2020 16:28
I reckon put Nige and Damon in the car and have a laugh.

Stu69 15 June, 2020 19:59
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
I reckon put Nige and Damon in the car and have a laugh.

Ha ha ha! Nige wouldn’t fit!!

SydneyF1Fan 17 June, 2020 10:43
I was thinking that too. Get Nige out in one of his old red 5 models to market the worth of the historical car collection to prospective buyers!

I agree with Ian's financial reasoning. It shows you how tight it's going to be for Williams and all teams to go racing in Austria. Firing up a whole team into operation is a huge cost, with additional inefficiencies and costs to maintain COVID-safety. You have to wonder how much they will earn in revenue with no spectators and lower TV takings. It has to be a marginal business case. The teams are all going to be on extremely tight budgets and lowering costs/risks where they can.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net