Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rokit switching to Mercedes?
Discussion started by ihme , 24 June, 2020 10:38
Rokit switching to Mercedes?
ihme 24 June, 2020 10:38

Re: Rokit switching to Mercedes?
Andrew Hooper 24 June, 2020 10:40
Yes it is amazing that they would do this when from Williams annual report it would seem that they owed Williams money.

So now they just go off to Mercedes so it is not surprising to see the possibility of Williams taking legal action.

Mikef1 24 June, 2020 10:44
Williams to take legal action against rokit. Their contracts are usually pretty good

ihme 24 June, 2020 10:58
But why suddenly the top teams are all interested in Rokit after they screwed us over? Talk about a gigantic slap in the face. And it's Mercedes that will be taking them...

Somehow I don't think we'll get anything close to ~20m mentioned in the article. Seems like Rokit isn't another Rich Energy after all and they know what they are doing. There had to be some quirks in their contract otherwise they wouldn't do something like this to us.

monty3 24 June, 2020 11:34
thats the rules, nothing wrong about rokit leave williams.
the wrong is the stupido decision to sell this team!!

Stu69 24 June, 2020 11:43
Crazy times! Anything goes! It’s like the Wild West!! Don’t recon that Rokit contract was watertight myself or this wouldn’t have happened!!

IanSmithISA 24 June, 2020 13:09
Good afternoon,

Given that Merc didn't deny it in that article, it may at least be possible, although it seems to be web sites repeating what other sites say rather than something with a solid source.

“We’re absolutely shocked that a team with whom we have a long-standing relationship has signed Rokit, particularly as it is well known what happened.”

If it is true and the source is anyone important it would suggest very strongly to me that RokIT had grounds to split from Williams, or at least believes that it had grounds and could convince Merc as well.

There was quite a difference between what the Williams Annual Report actually said and what it was reported that it said.

$1m is owed from 2019 and $9m for the 2020 season so by now the $1m could easily have been paid and who knows if the $9m is due or not?

If the dispute really is about whether money is due when there is no racing or if there are performance clauses not met, ownership clauses etc it appears that other teams are convinced that the money is there.

Bye

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/06/2020 13:11 by IanSmithISA.

Stu69 24 June, 2020 13:42
I would be amazed if there weren’t performance clauses.

dot_com 24 June, 2020 14:07
I wonder if this is a sign of the breaking down of the relationship between Mercedes and Williams. We only use their engines and have refused to use other parts of theirs for various reasons. We’ll undoubtedly lose GR in the next year or two. And now they are poaching sponsors (although the details of the Rokit deal are still pretty vague). It doesn’t seem like we have that many reasons to stay with Mercedes - at one time they were the gold standard, but Ferrari and Honda have caught up now. Racing Point are clearly earmarked for the Mercedes B-Team role and will benefit greatly from that. Maybe we’re not too late for a tie-up with Honda - unless they have some sort of exclusivity with Red Bull? They have a race winning engine now. And hey, what the hell do we have to lose?!

Gwanni 24 June, 2020 15:07
That is a blow below the belt from Rokit and Mercedes

IanSmithISA 24 June, 2020 16:42
Why?

If and this is a big if, Williams are in the wrong why shouldn't RokIT go elsewhere and why shouldn't someone else accept them?

ghettonation 24 June, 2020 17:58
I have a theory, maybe sounds a bit crazy but I think it's may happen.

I think Mercedes have done this on purpose to anger Williams so that they could break the contract. Let's face it from next year Mercedes would be having to supply four teams. Have they over stretched themselves and can't in all reality do it. Maybe they haven't got the staff to cover four teams. Who are Mercedes most likely to dump? They won't dump mclaren with who they've won championships and are on the up. Racing point is just a year old Mercedes and then there's us the runt of the litter. Can't be good PR having your engine running round at the back of the field.

I think we'll be using Renault engines next year. They have no customer teams after the end of this year as it currently stands. They have the staff to do an extra team, just send the ones from mclaren to us.

Williams Renault mk111 anyone? I'd like to see it personally. The engine isn't as down on power as it used to be

Stu69 24 June, 2020 19:01
Toto said he wants to make Mercedes F1 profitable. To do that he needs sponsors. Rokit cancelling with Williams presents an opportunity. Hard nosed business!

The interesting part for me is why Rokit and Williams split. You don’t normally sign an extension then cancel straight away! Odd!!

Don’t think we all have the full picture as yet. Something is afoot!!

ihme 24 June, 2020 22:58
They will probably get way more exposure with a few small stickers on the winning Mercedes than at Williams as a title sponsor at the back of the grid when we arent even on the tv screen during races most of the time.

Russell will be gone next year, Claire hired another young inexperienced paydriver, we had a horrible 2nd part of the season and judging from the winter testing - another year at the back of the grid. And then the global crisis hit.

The sad truth is that there isnt really any incentive to be our sponsor these days and Rokit quickly switching teams (the rumor is that they will be on Mercedes at the first race in Austria already) only confirms this.

IanSmithISA 25 June, 2020 07:07
The Rich Energy Williams story only lasted a couple of days, so lets give Rokit Merc a few days.

It is a bit surprising that with racing starting soon this is all the F1 sites can find to write about, come on F1 PR get some excitement going.

ihme 25 June, 2020 10:24
Well at least it seems that we'll be rocking our heritage livery & overalls colors now.

Gunk 25 June, 2020 12:40
Rokit sponsor women's formula and Venturi Formula E - did 'Our Suze' shaft her friend Claire?

Francesc 25 June, 2020 18:47
I will eternally hate this fake mobile company.

shriekback 26 June, 2020 04:57
Quote:
Francesc
I will eternally hate this fake mobile company.

Yes, me too. And I frankly don't care what happened behind the scenes.

Andrew Hooper 26 June, 2020 07:48
From sources Williams is considering taking legal action against ROKiT. It will be interesting to see whether that takes place or not.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net