Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Ferrari 2021 drivers?
Discussion started by Marco Cardoso , 14 July, 2020 20:36
Ferrari 2021 drivers?
Marco Cardoso 14 July, 2020 20:36
Good afternoon, I know this is a Williams fans forum and that's exacly what I am 100% even in this though times for us.
My question here is how does a team like Ferrari makes decisions like these of droping Vettel (A great driver from my point of view) and sign Sainz jr., I wouldn't say a bad driver cause he is promising, but, with all the options out there unless there are some clauses or something in the drivers contracts, two drivers would be much better imo, Norris and Russel, and the first have been beating Sainz more often then not.
Thanks

https://goo.gl/images/VESYsm

Re: Ferrari 2021 drivers?
Ozzy Osbone 14 July, 2020 22:24
I can see why they got rid of VET. He can't race. He can drive the fastest car from pole to the win but he keeps messing up when the pressure is on and there is no excuse. He's not a rookie. I think SAI is a good choice. Maybe NOR was not available, I doubt RUS is.

Mehryar 14 July, 2020 23:02
Russell is a Mercedes driver, atleast for now.

About Lando, don't let the media fool you.Yes he's good...really good but wait till he can beat Sainz over a season first.

Sainz is the most underrated driver out there imo.Even after his contract with Ferrari.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

monty3 14 July, 2020 23:39
they drop vettel because they are midfield team right now.

Anderis 15 July, 2020 08:15
I don't rate Sainz super highly but I definetely see the logic in Ferrari's driver choice. Leclerc did beat Vettel last year, which, considering their experience gap and so on, speaks volumes about his talent and it's only expected he would continue to outperform Seb in the future and probably be the best driver Ferrari can have in the next few years as Hamilton and Verstappen have seemingly no reasons to move there.
Vettel is no number 2 material and the Vettel-Leclerc chemistry doesn't seem to be very good, there's no reason to hang onto Seb when Charles has already proven he can outperform him over a season.

Then if you assume Leclerc as your no 1 driver, then Sainz as no 2 driver makes sense. Personally, I don't think he is the most talented driver outside of top3 teams but he is steady and experienced and should do the job just fine.

Russell and Norris lack the experience (since Leclerc is not super experienced either, Sainz's experience will come in handy) + they're young, without established reputation in F1 and might end up eager to want to prove themselves a bit too much instead of putting the team first. Besides, I don't know about Norris but Russell is certainly bound to Mercedes and it doesn't make sense for Ferrari to trouble themselves to get him out of that when he's not proven himself against any capable team mate in F1.

Marco Cardoso 15 July, 2020 21:56
Quote:
Anderis
I don't rate Sainz super highly but I definetely see the logic in Ferrari's driver choice. Leclerc did beat Vettel last year, which, considering their experience gap and so on, speaks volumes about his talent and it's only expected he would continue to outperform Seb in the future and probably be the best driver Ferrari can have in the next few years as Hamilton and Verstappen have seemingly no reasons to move there.
Vettel is no number 2 material and the Vettel-Leclerc chemistry doesn't seem to be very good, there's no reason to hang onto Seb when Charles has already proven he can outperform him over a season.

Then if you assume Leclerc as your no 1 driver, then Sainz as no 2 driver makes sense. Personally, I don't think he is the most talented driver outside of top3 teams but he is steady and experienced and should do the job just fine.

Russell and Norris lack the experience (since Leclerc is not super experienced either, Sainz's experience will come in handy) + they're young, without established reputation in F1 and might end up eager to want to prove themselves a bit too much instead of putting the team first. Besides, I don't know about Norris but Russell is certainly bound to Mercedes and it doesn't make sense for Ferrari to trouble themselves to get him out of that when he's not proven himself against any capable team mate in F1.

I do compreend that logic, in fact it makes perfect sense because Ferrari always have a number 1 driver.
Both Norris and Russel wouldn't want to do a number 2 driver job, or, at least so the way Ferrari undermines the second driver.

Matt Brown 16 July, 2020 07:55
Quote:
Marco Cardoso
Quote:
Anderis

I do compreend that logic, in fact it makes perfect sense because Ferrari always have a number 1 driver.
Both Norris and Russel wouldn't want to do a number 2 driver job, or, at least so the way Ferrari undermines the second driver.

So Marco you are saying Norris and Russel would not accept being a number 2 driver at Ferrari but Sainz would accept being a number 2 driver at Ferrari?

I didn't think Sainz would want to be a number 2 driver at this stage in his career.

Marco Cardoso 16 July, 2020 08:58
Quote:
Matt Brown
Quote:
Marco Cardoso
Quote:
Anderis

So Marco you are saying Norris and Russel would not accept being a number 2 driver at Ferrari but Sainz would accept being a number 2 driver at Ferrari?

I didn't think Sainz would want to be a number 2 driver at this stage in his career.

I did acept didn't he, surely Ferrari see Leclerc has their nr1 driver, and that will mean that given the chanse he will have to let Leclerc pass him for more points.

SydneyF1Fan 16 July, 2020 11:45
They could have chosen Dan instead of Carlos. They're both good drivers but Dan's is a proven race winner, albeit in a better car.

Not sure if it was Ferrari or Dan's choice, but in hindsight looks like Dan may have dodged a bullet. I'm sure Carlos is regretting the move at this stage, especially with Merc engines going to McLaren next year.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Anderis 16 July, 2020 15:24
Quote:
Matt Brown

Sainz already knows how to be in the shadow of his team-mate- he raced against Verstappen and he was even beaten by Hulkenberg.

With Norris and Russell- you never know. They simply haven't been tested enough, yet. There's a good chance Sainz will be much more accepting of his place at this point.

Marco Cardoso 16 July, 2020 20:42
Quote:
Anderis
Quote:
Matt Brown

Sainz already knows how to be in the shadow of his team-mate- he raced against Verstappen and he was even beaten by Hulkenberg.

With Norris and Russell- you never know. They simply haven't been tested enough, yet. There's a good chance Sainz will be much more accepting of his place at this point.

Exacly Anderis, that's what I think this choice was all about.
He knows if Ferrari delivers a race winning car, he may even become a race winner but little more then that because the focus will always be Leclerc, Ferrari even made that to Vettel last year but Seb wouldn't take that and got kicked, of that i'm sure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net