Latest news:

2019 United States Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Malaysian GP - Race
Posted by: crusty_bread
Date: 26/03/2012 14:34
It's very easy to wear your heart on your sleeve during GP's. I felt exactly the same as francesc, Greenmachine and drunkmunkey yesterday. The fact is, we have an exciting, frustrating driver line up, and this was known to all when they were signed. They bring money, and demonstrate the FW34's improved form, but they are not capable of consistently traslating the car's potential into the best results, which is why I don't expect Williams to better 7th this year. An ode to 2011.

One day on, and a few thoughts to share;

1) Wasn't it FANTASTIC to witness Perez hunting Alonso down for the victory, whilst both Williams drivers carved their way through the field into the points? Thrilling stuff. Gutted Perez threw it away. Seeing a Sauber overtake Alonso's Ferrari for the victory would have been legendary.

2) I was impressed with the lines Senna picked in the wet and the enterprising style of his overtaking.

3) The apologies from Remi Taffin and Laurent Debout of Renault for the engine failure was a nice touch.

4) @ speed, this is NOT the best driver line up since 2006. Last years' line up was better. 2010's was better. Criticism where criticism is due. Neither driver has managed a clean race weekend yet, and tbh, I wasnt expecting them to, nor do I expect them to. Both drivers are very amateurish, despite being of a reasonable age with reasonable F1 experience. This has left Williams miles behind Farrari and Sauber in the Constructors Championship, and still behind Force India. They are the weak link in the team and I see no reason why this pattern should change. If they can summon the discipline to outpoint Force India and Toro Rosso in the Constructors Championship, they will have exceeded my expectations. IMHO, Merecedes WILL find a a way to manage their tyres and even if they don't, their drivers will find a way to score more points than Williams. As for Sauber, they are ahead because their drivers are more disciplined, and I don't see why this should change. As I see it, Williams are looking at 7th, with plenty of fun, frustration and excitement along the way, which is p+2 on 2011 and not a disaster. This technical line up are establishing a good level of performance for the team, but the financial hit for 2011 was taken on the driver front, and we will just have to put up with it. I think we need to accept that this year will be a rollercoaster and that F1 is not about the pace of the car translating into perfect results- See Alonso leading the championship as evidence of that.

5) On the "Maldonado vs Senna" debate, IMO Senna is not underrated. I am cooly neutural towards both drivers, but the fact is, Senna has been comprehensively outpaced by Maldonado in every dry session this year. Senna has admitted he needs to improve his dry weather pace. He does have potential, but lets be honest, Maldonado is the faster driver right now. In the drying conditions, Senna found himself infront because he made his critical error before the safety car and Maldonado made his after. In drying conditions, both drivers can put their pace down to the FW34's gentleness on tyres- in this case, the intermediates.

Anyway, roll on China, traditionally a miserable hunting ground for Williams! Lets hope for something to smile about this year.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net