Latest news:

2020 Australian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: News and Stuff!
Posted by: IanSmithISA
Date: 06/01/2019 06:13
Good morning,

I really hope that both Ozzy Osborne and Mr Brooksy are wrong and that Sir Frank did not block any possible opportunities with Honda if there were any.

If the stories are true and Honda pulled out as a result of Sir Frank's crash and left Williams with no engine and ending up with a Judd then it would be easy to understand why.

That both of you would suggest such a thing is interesting as Williams are a hybrid company partly Sir Frank's, partly public company. Whilst the arithmetic gives Sir Frank control, I can't see how those in control of the public part could possibly allow Sir Frank to make such a decision without a massive stink.

I appreciate that I may appear a bit negative about Williams' prospects but we mustn't forget that Force India went under this year and although it is tempting to say Williams is a much stronger business with a greater history this is probably an illusion.

Although WAE is profitable, it is not profitable to the extent that it can contribute much to the F1 team and it is unclear how much it costs the F1 team to support WAE.

Apart from this the F1 team doesn't have any other extra sources of funds compared to FI except of course the "unfair" 10 million Historic Team bonus that Claire wants to lose in exchange for a "fairer" overall distribution.

I agree that the drop to 10th wasn't expected and McLaren were successful in passing much of the blame for their recent performance onto Honda. It also seems that many including me who were supportive of a Honda engine accepted that the engine was currently not as good as the Merc/Ferrari.

It is also easy to see that the appointment of Paddy was going to lead to a much better car and it still may do so and anyway dropping from 5th to 6th wouldn't have been much of a loss.

Its the "curve" that worries me, since the departure of BMW every step forward has been followed by a bigger step backward.

Williams finished 2018 last, with debt and are probably now in the worst position in the short term of any F1 team. Haas, Sauber and Toro Rosso will probably be running cars heavily based on Ferrari, Ferrari and Red Bull designs and they are all looking comfortably funded with Haas Automation, Red Bull and Alfa money.

Even Force India with Stroll money and an unclear ambition and McLaren who are struggling with performance and I can see leaving F1 are in better short term positions.

So we are left asking the question of where is the vision for the future of the team coming from?

Bye

Ian

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net