Latest news:

2020 Canadian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: News and Stuff!
Posted by: shriekback
Date: 15/02/2019 19:19
Quote:
phatjack
Quote:
shriekback
Quote:
phatjack
[b][/b]Dude F1 thrived of Tobacco and Alcohol Sponsorship ... it was considered acceptable, not very long ago. So what market will Rokit disrupt next?

Forgive me if I am being thick, but I don't get your point.

Yes, I am well aware of the tobacco industry's long (and continuing) history of sponsorship of F1 teams--including Williams. I also recall that it, like many unhealthy things, was considered acceptable. Let me place extra emphasis on the "was. "2001 is when tobacco advertising was banned in F1--18 years ago. I think the fact that Zak Brown felt compelled to defend McLaren's deal with BAT, and the high levels of complete BS he resorted to in his attempt to do so, however, indicate clearly that it is considered acceptable no longer. I am just glad that Williams is not forced to stoop to such undignified efforts to justify its new title sponsor.

By the way, outside of officially Muslim countries, I think tobacco and alcohol companies, and advertising for them, are viewed very differently--and rightly so. Tobacco and nicotine are inherently unhealthy, whereas moderate and occasional consumption of alcohol is not.

I don't understand your apparent suggestion that ROKiT has previously disrupted markets, or why you think it is relevant to ask which one will be next, certainly not in this context anyway. Please clarify if I have missed something though.

Your reply shows a bias against BAT and Phillip Morris while you gladly accept alcohol and beer consumption is more socially acceptable (Hence Rokit and there dabbling in the alcohol and beer markets is fine with you).

To my knowledge vaping a tutti-fruitti flavored alternative which is safer than nicotine is what BAT and Phillip Morris are promoting. Though I can understand you connecting the two, tutti-frutti vs nicotine.

A reasoned position can, of course, still be mistaken, but dismissing it as expressive of a mere "bias" without addressing the reasons given is intellectually lazy and dishonest.

Whether I accept the greater social acceptance of alcohol over tobacco gladly or not is not really the issue. I was only pointing out the fact of it. I don't recall Claire ever having to engage in the kinds of BS we've gotten from Zak Brown in defense of BAT's sponsorship of McLaren the past few days as a consequnce of Martini's sponsorship of Williams.

As for your understanding of tobacco substitutes as something other than alternative nicotine delivery devices, I think it is uninformed at least, and rather proves that advertising works (as a multi-trillion dollar global enterprise, should we be arguing over whether it works or not? Seriously?).

Read up: [www.hopkinsmedicine.org]

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net