Belgian GP may not go ahead

By Andrew Hooper
September 9 2005

 
Race may not go ahead
 

After the second of Friday's practice sessions was washed out with heavy rain making it dangerous several drivers and Michelin's Pierre Dupasquier have all expressed their concern over whether or not the race can go ahead if the weather conditions do not improve. Reports have the weather conditions even worse on the Sunday of the race.

For Dupasquier felt that the conditions if repeated on Sunday would make it impossible for the race to go ahead.

He said: "We are expecting the same thing for the rest of the weekend. It is the FIA's decision whether they race or not, but the drivers do not want to go out with that kind of weather.

"The tyres could not handle this amount of water. They wanted a monsoon tyre in the past, but it doesn't make sense."

Dupasquier was supported by both BAR's Jenson Button and Ferari's Michael Schumacher, who also supported the view that if the weather conditions did not improve then serious consideration should be given to hot holding the race.

Button said: "If it is raining like that no, we can't race on Sunday. It would be too wet, definitely. It is dangerous. You are not in control of the car in any way.

"If you hit a big puddle like Vitantonio Liuzzi did that's it, it could be a massive accident. You are not in control and that's not what we're here to do.

"The forecast is for rain on Sunday. It's alright if it stops raining because the water runs away but it's when it is raining consistently and constantly it's just impossible to run."

Michael said: "It is difficult to tell you how difficult it is driving in these conditions. We probably needed a propeller to make it through this amount of water. It is too much rain. In these conditions nobody can drive except maybe the safety car.

"Obviously we don't know yet [if the race will be cancelled], maybe we would do a race under the safety car, but a normal race in these conditions is not possible. It is not me to ask if there will be a race, but if conditions are like this the it is not possible apart from behind the safety car. But maybe it can get better.

"In the end, you can only do things that are possible. If it is impossible to drive we will have to find another way."

The drivers concerns were backed up by Liuzzi's crash early on in the second practice session that saw his car crash into the barrier afyer he lost control of it in the very difficult conditions.

Michael added: "You could see when the drivers that went out were on track that they couldn't really drive. With Liuzzi, when the rain was really heavy, he could do nothing. Fernando just did an installation lap and when Doornbos came back he was very, very slow because it is just too much.

"As far as we know now it is predicted to get worse and at the moment they are predicting heavy rain on Sunday. Today was supposed to be the best in terms of rain, so we still have to find out what that means for the weekend."

 

 

 
Message Board

Bookmark or share this story with: